Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

South Florida FiST'ers

Chuckable

Maybe this is off-topic, but do any of you South Florida guys know where to get some used tires? I have a track day planned and figured it would make sense to throw on some used OEM tires with some life left in them on my spare wheels rather than use up my daily driver tires. I'm just out for fun and not for competition, so the OEM tires are just fine for me. If anyone knows of anywhere, please let me know!

OP
TurboRon
Thread Starter #83
Welcome...the MOUNTUNE short shifter is a good piece and simple to install. Feels stock but better.

There is an autox on a April 10th at the BB&T In case you guys haven't registered yet.
Nice, I'll be there. [driving]

Does anyone in South Florida have a bigger turbo? Stage 2? I just wanted to see how it drives vs stock.

OP
TurboRon
Thread Starter #85
Maybe this is off-topic, but do any of you South Florida guys know where to get some used tires? I have a track day planned and figured it would make sense to throw on some used OEM tires with some life left in them on my spare wheels rather than use up my daily driver tires. I'm just out for fun and not for competition, so the OEM tires are just fine for me. If anyone knows of anywhere, please let me know!
Chuck, Chuck, chuck... hello, ... it would be nice to do a track day some time soon, it's been a while.
However, It seems to me that the cost of your proposal is not cost effective. You might pay what $20-25 each used tire an $60 mount and balance (x 2 if you gonna replace your street tires on your rims. Or do you have 2 sets of rims? ) = $220. + trusting your car and life to questionable used tires?! could get pretty expensive ... [spank] What's so special about the ones you got on now?

What pads and brake fluid you using? That's the big question.

OP
TurboRon
Thread Starter #86
Does anyone in South Florida have a bigger turbo? Stage 2? I just wanted to see how it drives vs stock.
Brickell, I'm sure it would kick butt!!! ... Don't know anyone that has one locally.

Again with the 2Cents... I think it may unbalance the car somewhat as one of the few mistakes Ford made with this car was to put a "peg Leg" diff, which limits the ability to put the power down. It will be more cost effective to trade in for an RS in MHO if you want bigger power. Why? You loose the ability to trade in the modified Fist and usually don't recover the cost of mods when you sell, (maybe unless you do your own wrenching and part it out.) But all in all these "hidden" costs could beat you up in the end. So, the money spent and backlash one would loose over-modding the car, at that level would probably be enough to put you in the seat of a new RS. More or less ... Also there is the warranty and RELIABILITY issues ... big turbo ... you start blowing off hoses in the middle of nowhere ... you better walk with a good tool bag! [giggle] ... right Apex?!

Chuckable

Chuck, Chuck, chuck... hello, ... it would be nice to do a track day some time soon, it's been a while.
However, It seems to me that the cost of your proposal is not cost effective. You might pay what $20-25 each used tire an $60 mount and balance (x 2 if you gonna replace your street tires on your rims. Or do you have 2 sets of rims? ) = $220. + trusting your car and life to questionable used tires?! could get pretty expensive ... [spank] What's so special about the ones you got on now?

What pads and brake fluid you using? That's the big question.
Yeah, you make some good points! [thumb] I do have a another set of wheels aside from the factory ones, but the tires are nothing special other than I just don't want to wear them out prematurely! Gotta save up for that RS you're recommending . . . in my dreams [idea] I've got the Wilwood calipers with Carbotech XP10s for the track (but haven't been on the track with them yet) and Motul 600 fluid.

OP
TurboRon
Thread Starter #89
Yeah, you make some good points! [thumb] I do have a another set of wheels aside from the factory ones, but the tires are nothing special other than I just don't want to wear them out prematurely! Gotta save up for that RS you're recommending . . . in my dreams [idea] I've got the Wilwood calipers with Carbotech XP10s for the track (but haven't been on the track with them yet) and Motul 600 fluid.
Nice set up! [thumb] with an extra set of rims the used tires would be more economical, but I still would hesitate to buy used tires for a road course track day simply because If it blow out you could loose your car and your life. ... might be cheaper to wear them beeaches out!

But seriously, I can did your train of thought because I actually have some used stock tires on my car now, from another Fist, for the street, and bought new stickier tires on a second set of rims for track. [wink]

apex

Better to track your car on street tires to learn the car. Used tires are dangerous IMHO unless you know who owned them and how old they are. Track tires are just that...too sticky to learn proper car control and if you lose it you're less likely to recover it because of the higher speeds.

OP
TurboRon
Thread Starter #91
Yup, I like tracking as close to my daily set up as possible.
Had an "oh shyyyyt!" moment the other day ... cornered a little too hard and drifted the street tires, almost took out a garbage can- I was thinking what the hell happened to my grip?!?! ... before I remembered I wasn't on my sticky tires! [facepalm]

Next autocross is June 12. I think I'm ready to sign up again. I'm not gonna be too competitive running Nankangs and a tune with more corn added(sliding all over the place looking for grip.)

I have no need for this anymore, had the MP215. Before I throw it out does anyone in the Miami/SoFL area want this? Im not aking for any money. So if anyone wants it let me know. Meet up, drop off, pick up. Whatever works. Thx.

Attachments

OP
TurboRon
Thread Starter #94
Thanks for the offer man, but I'll bet a lot of guys on here would agree It's a good idea to keep your stock parts ... you never know.

Thanks for the offer man, but I'll bet a lot of guys on here would agree It's a good idea to keep your stock parts ... you never know.
Unfortunately I had to get rid of my FIST for the RS. I only have one parking space where I live and didnt want two car payments, wish I could have kept it. So I have no need for the part anymore. I'll keep the part for awhile longer.

OP
TurboRon
Thread Starter #96
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I would love to hear your thoughts on the upgrade - especially after owning a FiST!!! Please tell us how you like the transition!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I would love to hear your thoughts on the upgrade - especially after owning a FiST!!! Please tell us how you like the transition!
Well, I only have 380 miles on the car since I got it on 06/14. I had to travel for almost two weeks after I got it. Now, it is in a autosport detailing shop in South Miami for a few days having Suntek installed upfront and ceramic on the rest of the car.

Initial thoughts.....cabin has a more premium feel (obviously$$$), and Sync 3 is a nice upgrade. The ride is firm like the Fiesta, but when in Normal/Sport mode it may be a touch more softer, but not by much. In track mode, the ride is too stiff for the streets to be comfortable. The steering feel in track is noticeably weighted heavier. Most of the time I start up the car and put it in Sport mode. Keeps the suspension same a Normal, but better throttle response and steering feel, plus above 4000 rpms and a quick shift you encourage more popo and burbles. Auto start/stop feature doesnt bother me too much like others and you can switch that off. Also, I just needed to get used to the bigger dimension of the Focus.

Comparing it to the FIST....tough cuz I luv!! that car and it stands alone.....the FIST is very "zippy" around town...great low end torque and really gets up and goes from 2-5th gears....feels so fast and go kart like with its smaller dimensions and the MP215 it had......and taking corners in the FIST is different......feeling the rear end come around......the FORS.....really starts moving higher up the rev range and obviously takes curves differently with the AWD......I havent even pushed to too much but its higher limits are noticeable.....but around town in typical Miami traffic, not so much. I try to take it out in the evenings after rush hour to stretch its legs a bit, but Im trying to be a little gentle on it for the first 1000 miles.....and the only back road i took is Old Cutler.....not much fun.....any suggestions for nicer back roads? I thought about paying the $20 entry fee and driving it down to Flamingo in the Everglades.....havent done that in years....so far those are my inital impressions.....love both cars.....they compliment each other well...too bad I couldnt have both.

Few other things I thought of. The Recaros seats seems a little more comfortable....maybe slightly bigger....Im 5'9" 153lbs. The clutch and shifts feel similar, slightly longer shifts then I prefer (like the FIST). The shift lever is shorter and is nicely placed for me. I can rest my elbow on the center console and the knob falls right into my hand. Rear camara is nice to have.

Now, it is in a autosport detailing shop in South Miami for a few days having Suntek installed upfront and ceramic on the rest of the car.
Which shop are you using? How much are they charging?

First Class Autosports....the Suntek is $1200....full hood wrapped....fron bumpers and side view mirrors.....Cant remember the cost of the Ceramic.....it was a last minute decision.....Ill report back tomorow after I pick it up. Ive had work done there before. Very clean place....they do a good job.

First Class Autosports....the Suntek is $1200....full hood wrapped....fron bumpers and side view mirrors.....Cant remember the cost of the Ceramic.....it was a last minute decision.....Ill report back tomorow after I pick it up. Ive had work done there before. Very clean place....they do a good job.
I'm just looking for the tint, anybody to ask for? Their online system has appointments tomorrow but I don't know how realistic that really is.