Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford M-FR3-FA Suspension

I posted this in the sticky as well, but I think it may gain more traction and spur a bit more discussion as a standalone topic.

So, question: Is the Ford factory M-FR3-FA kit the standard handling pack on the ST, and an upgrade for non ST Models, or is it an upgrade for the ST as well?

300 bux seems like a really reasonable price for a complete suspension from FoMoCo with dampers and all....

http://goo.gl/Pz26W2
http://goo.gl/eOLAKt
http://goo.gl/f7y688
http://goo.gl/sNFL8M
http://goo.gl/BqiIxp

Forgive the shortened URLs, the bulletin board seems to have a character limit...

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Its not the same kit but it does lower the Fiesta to about the same height as the Fiesta ST. I wouldn't say its an upgrade from the ST suspension though. The Ford Racing Performance Parts coilovers would be an upgrade.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have had the FR3 setup on my SES since new (now at 69000 miles). Like Dave said, it does ride a little harsher, especially in the city on rougher surfaces. Comparing it to my ST (with nearly 20,000 miles), some days I like the ST, other days the SES. That said, it's a little like comparing apples to oranges because the tire/wheels are different, HP is a major delta, auto vs. manual, and the SES is more heavily modded (Steeda, TB Performance products).

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The FR3 coilover set is still available.
What I have, started with the FR3 coilover but will be called the Pro-Street-S.
I need to wait until after SEMA to get the redesigned rear shocks and what will be the third set of springs.
The fronts will remain the same as the FR3 just different spring and damper rates.
The set will remain fully adjustable ride height and the springs are replaceable to suit the user's needs.

Dave

Chuckable

In case anyone is interested, according to the Mountune website the factory ST spring rates are 172 lbs/in front and 137 lb/in rear. The Ford Racing coilovers are 450 front and 550 rear.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I can't even imagine driving 450/550 rates on the street in the Fiesta.

I currently run 390/340 and it's pretty stiff and at the upper limit for me using it as a daily driver. Obviously valving has a lot to do with that but still....

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have no kidneys.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Yes, but they have been refined since.
More changes still to come.

Dave

OP
ItMightBePizza
Thread Starter #14
That's the FAEB springs, in the coilover kit. I'm looking for the FA rates, in the factory upgrade kit.

OP
ItMightBePizza
Thread Starter #16
Yeah that's this whole thing, me wondering that... The waters are muddy here with what this actually is.

Three hundred bucks msrp though is lunacy for an entire suspension.... I hope that sticks around!

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Oops sorry, I misread your post.

I wonder if the M-FR3-FA is basically just the stock FiST setup.

If it is the same kit I had on my 2011 Fiesta, which I am 99% sure it is, the kit isn't the same as the ST from the factory. It is much closer to the optional suspension used in Europe on one of their special edition Fiestas, like the Zetec-S or some other version we did not get here. The FRPP kit sits lower than the ST, I think around .5" or so (I have the measurements someplace at home) and is way softer than the ST. There is considerable more dive, pitch, and roll with the FRPP kit than the ST. It also doesn't feel over damped in the rear. The kit is very nice for a daily driver, but is mostly designed for looks and comfort instead of ultimate grip.

FRPP kit with ST wheels

Untitled by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

FRPP kit on 215/45 17 tires compared to the stock ST with 205/40 17

2014 Fiesta ST and 2011 Fiesta SES 046 by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

I measured my 2011 Fiesta with the FRPP suspension kit with P215/40 17 tires and then measured the ST with the same wheels, after the suspension had been settled. I will dig around my garage for the numbers.

OP
ItMightBePizza
Thread Starter #18
This is what I was looking for. Thank you so much. Now if anyone has the spring rates....