Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost Intake Valve Carbon build up ?

ROCKYFiestta

DOESNT the dealer do engine cleaning services? i remember honda use to use a bunch of chemicals and they would provide such service to clean up the engine from carbon buildup? this is my first performance ford and di so i have no idea on these newer cars if the dealers still does this.

also does anybody sell the breather vta? i personally dont care for since there are no emissions where i live

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Ive just been treating it like a rotary. Wind it up. Drive it a little hard. Use engine braking. At 77k and i feel no loss in power. Haven't even opened up the intake to take a look. But if actually hot rodding it a bit keeps them cleaner for free, worth every bit of gas.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I Hot Rod my car everyday...in fact I'm about to open it up on my way home here as the roads have been clear lately.....Who can resist NOT Hot Rodding their vehicle? Every single stop light or stop sign and the street is clear when In My Typhoon I boost launch it! Why because I can and you only live once.....[rockon]

I just had a scare today only about 45 mins ago, was mashing through the gears heard a smash or a bang loud from under bonnet, pulled over as was losing power coughing and spluttering, running out of fuel type symptoms. Turn engine off ASAP lift bonnet no smoke no coolant leaks, go back to cabbin turn ignition on to check engine temperature was at normal operating temperature. After a 2nd look under the bonnet I noticed that the pcv tube that connects to the oil catch can (intake side of can) had blown off, luckily I still had the stock pcv tube in the boot so connected it up and checked oil level was ok and started the engine, all seemed fine so I drove it home. I noticed that the plastic hose connecters that screw into the mishimoto catch can had all come loose also.

Just think of this as warning if you have an oil catch can just check that your connection's are tight lol.

I thought of much worse conclusions when I heard that noise and the way the engine was behaving... [emoji54][emoji2962][emoji33][emoji3061][emoji43]

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I just had a scare today only about 45 mins ago, was mashing through the gears heard a smash or a bang loud from under bonnet, pulled over as was losing power coughing and spluttering, running out of fuel type symptoms. Turn engine off ASAP lift bonnet no smoke no coolant leaks, go back to cabbin turn ignition on to check engine temperature was at normal operating temperature. After a 2nd look under the bonnet I noticed that the pcv tube that connects to the oil catch can (intake side of can) had blown off, luckily I still had the stock pcv tube in the boot so connected it up and checked oil level was ok and started the engine, all seemed fine so I drove it home. I noticed that the plastic hose connecters that screw into the mishimoto catch can had all come loose also.

Just think of this as warning if you have an oil catch can just check that your connection's are tight lol.

I thought of much worse conclusions when I heard that noise and the way the engine was behaving... [emoji54][emoji2962][emoji33][emoji3061][emoji43]

How full was the catch can?

Quisp

1000 Post Club

The stock mishi hoses are silicone. Not meant for oil contact. I replaced them with proper hose.[wrenchin]

I got a cold start misfire. I think it's a dirty injector, it runs on 3 cylinders for about 5 - 10 seconds.. but not every time.. about 40 - 50% of cold startups. I put two bottles of injector cleaner in one full tank of fuel today and was giving it a lot of long high revs while driving today but seems it was actually missfireing every time I started it up hot after coming back from each shop.. was doing it before I replaced the plugs at 95,000km. At 106,000km now. Had an oil Catch can installed since about 40,000. Have run it on 98 octane from brand new. Never missfires while driving. Might need new injectors.

PhoenixM3

This happened to me too.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
An oil catch can line coming off would explain it running poorly but wouldn't explain the loud bang? Any possibility that a direct-injection engine with modified programming and intake valve carbon deposits would backfire through the intake?

1625928809862.png
1625928760932.png

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got a cold start misfire. I think it's a dirty injector, it runs on 3 cylinders for about 5 - 10 seconds.. but not every time.. about 40 - 50% of cold startups. I put two bottles of injector cleaner in one full tank of fuel today and was giving it a lot of long high revs while driving today but seems it was actually missfireing every time I started it up hot after coming back from each shop.. was doing it before I replaced the plugs at 95,000km. At 106,000km now. Had an oil Catch can installed since about 40,000. Have run it on 98 octane from brand new. Never missfires while driving. Might need new injectors.

What kind of "injector cleaner" did you use? You can't just ramp any kind of cleaner in there and expect good results.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
An oil catch can line coming off would explain it running poorly but wouldn't explain the loud bang? Any possibility that a direct-injection engine with modified programming and intake valve carbon deposits would backfire through the intake?

View attachment 41984
View attachment 41983
NOT likely* But if it did the intake would blow right off. This has happened to PERFblue15 when he was at DHM and there was fuel pooled up in the intake. Russ Blew the intake right off and dented the hood in PERFs FiST. Stock FIST it is HIGHLY unlikely to happen.

slopoke

Oh but it can....When I had my Damon OCC I had it unplugged/open and started the car to check something else. Talk about a struggle to stay running.
But, it wasn't the fault of the can. It ran poorly because you had it "unplugged/open".