Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost Intake Valve Carbon build up ?

Would it be possible to run a seafoam treatment? My understanding is that you do not want to put seafoam before the turbo for obvious reasons. But could you remove the sound symposer and install a nipple there as a place to inject the seafoam? I'm sure the computer wouldn't like the boost leak, but it would only be for a few minutes and should really help clean the valves.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Would it be possible to run a seafoam treatment? My understanding is that you do not want to put seafoam before the turbo for obvious reasons. But could you remove the sound symposer and install a nipple there as a place to inject the seafoam? I'm sure the computer wouldn't like the boost leak, but it would only be for a few minutes and should really help clean the valves.
It's possible, but the issue is some of the Seafoam will wash down the side of the piston rings and down into the oil pan to be picked up and on it's way to the turbo and it's journals with the potential to cause wear. One could take that risk and immediately drain the oil after the treatment.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
So the VTA oil catch can should be placed on the PCV line on the left side of the engine? Or do all need to be vented?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
It's possible, but the issue is some of the Seafoam will wash down the side of the piston rings and down into the oil pan to be picked up and on it's way to the turbo and it's journals with the potential to cause wear. One could take that risk and immediately drain the oil after the treatment.
Are you retarded? That is the dumbest series of words i have ever seen typed. None of what you said makes any sense.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
sorry you feel that way, can't help you.
Please tell us how seafoam is gonna seep down to your oil pan? I mean are you just pouring a gallon in a second? Do you even read the directions? Please tell us. Ive done the seafoam a million times on all sorts of cars and never had any trouble with the oil breaking down. I even sent in sample to Blackstone and they didnt even mention it.
Dont bleed out bad information when you dont know what you are talking about yourself.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
We can handle this with a bit more tact, though that might not be the intention it seems to be the result, calling somebody retarded is not really a nice thing to do, or appropriate;)

We can say what we need to say with a bit more respect.

---------------
I have never used Seafoam or other similar products so I do not know the composition. But, since it must be a detergent or solvent or a combination of them or something similar there would be the possibility of it upon entering the combustion chamber of it washing down the oil film on the cylinder walls and rings and perhaps some could get into the oil, that is pretty simple logically but it might be so diluted it simple is not an issue.

It was a good question, as most are, a good answer is inherently more valuable to our community.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #68
Folks Please refrain from using name calling I have had family members that were special and some names are just hurtful....

I only asked because I have used seafoam in my other NA vehicles in the past with great results. It seemed to me that the biggest problem with using it on any turbo car was when it goes through the turbo. I have since read elsewhere that it really wont solve the problem if there is a large amount of buildup.

On another note, since i assume most of us who drive STs constantly are doing Italian tune ups we hopefully wont have as much of a problem. Apparently an Italian tune up is one of the things Audi prescribed for carbon buildup on their earlier cars.

Other than BMW's walnut blasting and maybe Italian tune ups there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on how to prevent or deal with the problem.

Interesting though that the BRZ/FRS uses both port and DI. Wonder if that was purely to combat the carbon buildup problem.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I only asked because I have used seafoam in my other NA vehicles in the past with great results. It seemed to me that the biggest problem with using it on any turbo car was when it goes through the turbo. I have since read elsewhere that it really wont solve the problem if there is a large amount of buildup.
I daily drive an '85 e28 BMW 535i with 200k + miles on it and familiar with Seafoam, I use it routinely for maintenance simply because it seems to work. It's used among many early classic BMW owners with success, that said I'm not ready to use it in the ST.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Perhaps, as mentioned by others, a water injection system installed just to use occasionally may be a good way to go.

Not sure if adding methanol would help or not as a small amount may vaporize before it can effect the buildup.

-----------

Edited because of lack of sleep I started wandering far off course:)

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Not sure if adding methanol would help or not as a small amount may vaporize before it can effect the buildup.
You would hope anything you are injecting is going to vaporize or you will have bigger problems than just buildup.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
You would hope anything you are injecting is going to vaporize or you will have bigger problems than just buildup.
This. BTW Razor how is the chase with the throttle closing feature going? I just got off the phone with COBB Socal and they are looking into it.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I was referring to vaporizing the meth before it gets to the valves to help clean them, of course it is already sprayed as a very fine mist so nearly a vapor already, it will be burned as fuel as well as the cooling it provides....so, not likely to help clean the valves but perhaps it might a little. I would probably just run winter window washer fluid and call it good.

MOFiST

Same guy from OP posted up another vid about this. A few juicy bits of info in here.

[video=youtube_share;-ynGWxzJHjA]http://youtu.be/-ynGWxzJHjA[/video]

me32

1000 Post Club
Same guy from OP posted up another vid about this. A few juicy bits of info in here.

[video=youtube_share;-ynGWxzJHjA]http://youtu.be/-ynGWxzJHjA[/video]
Great video thanks for posting. So hope when someone heres anout the pcm updates it will be posted

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
That's a good video.

Intake valve hangs open with 20-24-28psi behind it. Exhaust valve hangs open with 40-70psi behind it. What in the world made ford thing the intake was going to help PUSH the exhaust out on a boosted engine like this? At full boost, almost ever stock turbo car has twice as much exhaust manifold pressure vs intake boost pressure.

As I saw on 11k mile engine... Its NOT a little problem. That intake was SOAKED with oil. And of course, he's right its not just a ford or ecoboost issue. All DFI turbo cars are like this.

Who is buying stock in snow performance, aquamist, and devilsown right now ? Lol.

Water injection will be the only TRUE fix for this...

me32

1000 Post Club
That's a good video.

Intake valve hangs open with 20-24-28psi behind it. Exhaust valve hangs open with 40-70psi behind it. What in the world made ford thing the intake was going to help PUSH the exhaust out on a boosted engine like this? At full boost, almost ever stock turbo car has twice as much exhaust manifold pressure vs intake boost pressure.

As I saw on 11k mile engine... Its NOT a little problem. That intake was SOAKED with oil. And of course, he's right its not just a ford or ecoboost issue. All DFI turbo cars are like this.

Who is buying stock in snow performance, aquamist, and devilsown right now ? Lol.

Water injection will be the only TRUE fix for this...
Doesnt the exhaust suck the air out? So how would it be pushing exhaust into the intake? According to the ford tech the left over is from the air swirling.