Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ?

Full stoptech rotors, upgraded motorcraft brake pads, and some new tires. Apparently one of my wheels is bent due to a tie rod issue a while back, so i'm looking into replacements.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Full stoptech rotors, upgraded motorcraft brake pads, and some new tires. Apparently one of my wheels is bent due to a tie rod issue a while back, so i'm looking into replacements.
From rockauto? Hows the dust and stopping power?

How well does that hood strut work?
The strut works as advertised, I'm just a little concerned about how much the strut pushes up on the rear driver's side of the hood. If you close slowly, you see, especially when it's close to being closed, the the driver's side is raised up more than the passenger side. Considering how the bracket was designed, this can't be an "adjustment" issue because there is just no other place/way to mount it. I'm wondering if maybe it's because of how lightweight the hood is, or perhaps the strut is too strong. Once I close the hood, you can see that the hood is not all the way down on that corner. If I press down on it, it then looks flush.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The strut issue could be from being slightly to long or to stiff, at the angle when closed it would seem it might be to long.

Can you drill a new hole lower on the mounting bracket at the strut tower?

Or, is the bracket reversible, flip it over?

It looks like there is a bit more room on the hood end to move it further forward as well.

--------------------------

DAVE, nice use of a factory style tow hook:)

Did you have fun making the hole in the bumper?

I toasted a lot of bits drilling my strap bolt holes so not many to sharpen, add to the pile at least, must be 3 sets worth of bits as never get around to it:)

The strut issue could be from being slightly to long or to stiff, at the angle when closed it would seem it might be to long.

Can you drill a new hole lower on the mounting bracket at the strut tower?

Or, is the bracket reversible, flip it over?

It looks like there is a bit more room on the hood end to move it further forward as well.

--------------------------

DAVE, nice use of a factory style tow hook:)

Did you have fun making the hole in the bumper?

I toasted a lot of bits drilling my strap bolt holes so not many to sharpen, add to the pile at least, must be 3 sets worth of bits as never get around to it:)

For the moment, I'd prefer to leave it as-is to see if it settles in before messing with it further. I'm sure it could be tweaked a bit to fit better, but I'm not as handy as you are :)

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
also bought that same hood strut and had the same problem. You will need to fab a plate to move the pin connection further back or get a shorter strut. My main problem is that it no longer fits with my 2pt brace, so I gave up on modding it. It's a good idea, but poorly executed. When I have some time I'll mod mine to fit. I moved the swivel pin down, but it didn't help.

The strut works as advertised, I'm just a little concerned about how much the strut pushes up on the rear driver's side of the hood. If you close slowly, you see, especially when it's close to being closed, the the driver's side is raised up more than the passenger side. Considering how the bracket was designed, this can't be an "adjustment" issue because there is just no other place/way to mount it. I'm wondering if maybe it's because of how lightweight the hood is, or perhaps the strut is too strong. Once I close the hood, you can see that the hood is not all the way down on that corner. If I press down on it, it then looks flush.
That is 100% an adjustment issue... It mentioned in the instructions that you may need to loosen the hinge bolts on the side of the hood the strut is mounted on and slightly adjust the angle of the hinge. The forward most bolt just needs to be loosened enough to allow the rear part of the hinge to move up or down. I think I had to move it up about 1/4". After adjusting that my hood sits down like it did originally.

That is 100% an adjustment issue... It mentioned in the instructions that you may need to loosen the hinge bolts on the side of the hood the strut is mounted on and slightly adjust the angle of the hinge. The forward most bolt just needs to be loosened enough to allow the rear part of the hinge to move up or down. I think I had to move it up about 1/4". After adjusting that my hood sits down like it did originally.
Thanks for the tip! I will take a look :)

When the LaminX films burn out, be sure to order Headlight Armor films.
Never had em burn out before, but thanks. [emoji106]

Edit: I did some research as you made me curious. I found cases of both Lamin X and Headlight Armor both burning around 3 years. But only yellow. So it doesn't seem to matter which brand you order.

Ford Community Posts