Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Seems like Europe specs 5w30 for our exact engine. That speaks volumes to me.
I don't trust the U.S. on this, they have epa/mileage concerns at the forefront , not proper engine protection.

With that being said, I run Pennzoil plat, Which as you said, is on the thin side and okay as a 5w30 to run on our ecobeast
You are exactly correct it's only done for fuel efficiency reasons. My Wife's Mazda 0W20 Sold in Mexico 5W30.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
What I find funny about people's obsession with oil weight is if you were to look at recommendations as if the car was sold in a different country will say Mexico. You will notice it ask for a heavier weight oil.

Also, interestingly enough, my owners manual for the 2017 model, has 5W-30 listed in there.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Installed the hotchkins rear anti sway bar today. A lil bit hard with it on the ground and I'm a big guy. Luckily I had my 13 year old helping me. Got it done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What I find funny about people's obsession with oil weight is if you were to look at recommendations as if the car was sold in a different country will say Mexico. You will notice it ask for a heavier weight oil.

...or OZ (Australia) for that matter ;)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I believe Ford states 5 30 as an alternative. They would not do so if it was harmful. Only because lubrication problems could be warranty claims. Stupid to cost yourself money over something so simple.

Also, interestingly enough, my owners manual for the 2017 model, has 5W-30 listed in there.
I use 5-30

Sometimes 5-40

Idgaf about that the cap says. My engines are all still here
I was more or less referring to what I run in the winter/most of the year, as it's winter in the northern hemisphere... even though the 5 means what cold temp weight is anyway, and I DO run 5w30 for my mid-summer oil as well... and while I can see no justification in running '80's muscle car 40 weight at all, or defending it with an "idgaf" that helps no one, it is ultimately to each their own. We are just sharing opinions here, no one is bashing or obsessed with anything. Sad to think that just sharing a freaking OPINION with an actual THOUGHT behind it would make people so damn defensive, sheesh. Of course that thought doesn't apply to those who pointed out actual facts like the manual says 5w30 is fine, as it is, I just use it for the hottest part of the year.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
HA! You think that this place is bad, you should see what goes on over on bitog (bobistheoilguy.com), as they are ready to 'open up' on each other with their Bushmasters over oil topics even more mundane, inconsequential, and minuscule than this one (let alone over political topics they are NOT supposed to be bringing up at all, but do incessantly!). [crazyeye]

But yeah, I can see NO harm whatsoever coming from using any of the 'lighter' 5W-30s out there, especially for a SUMMER OCI, and maybe even some of the lighter 0W-40s for those in the much more torrid climes, again, especially in the summer, or for open tracking. ;)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
HA! You think that this place is bad, you should see what goes on over on bitog (bobistheoilguy.com), as they are ready to 'open up' on each other with their Bushmasters over oil topics even more mundane, inconsequential, and minuscule than this one (let alone over political topics they are NOT supposed to be bringing up at all, but do incessantly!). [crazyeye]

But yeah, I can see NO harm whatsoever coming from using any of the 'lighter' 5W-30s out there, especially for a SUMMER OCI, and maybe even some of the lighter 0W-40s for those in the much more torrid climes, again, especially in the summer, or for open tracking. ;)
hehe, thanks for a bit of perspective there, you make a good point... In the long run we are enthusiasts who know our cars pretty well, I'm sure changing your oil every 6-7.5k with any 5w20 or 5w30 full synthetic is a fool-proof way to know our engines are being maintained well and there is no reason to stress the minor differences of opinions. :)

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
You're*

And for a while now I've been on Napa Gold with Liquid Moly 5-30. I used to used Rotella 5-40 but it started costing more and supposedly not the same anymore. But like you said. In the end of the day oil is oil do whatever let's you sleep at night.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So, changing it every 3k is overkill?!? [emoji43]
Yes, when nearly every Blackstone analysis done on our car says the oil is good for 8-8.5k, then yes, 3k most definitely is. You have to keep in mind that 3k was invented by oil change companies before synthetic was popular to make more money by insisting that everyone was driving in extreme conditions.

Last edited:

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I have always gone 5k. Dealer said I could go 10k on full syn. When you do your own the changes are cheap assurance the life blood of your motor is still golden.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Yes, when nearly every Blackstone analysis done on our car says the oil is good for 8-8.5k, then yes, 3k most definitely is. You have to keep in mind that 3k was invented by oil change companies before synthetic was popular to make more money by insisting that everyone was driving in extreme conditions.
I am in total agreement with you... still gonna do my 3k oci tho. Oil is cheap and it just feels good to do it more often.

Maybe but if it makes you feel good do it.
This

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You're*

And for a while now I've been on Napa Gold with Liquid Moly 5-30. I used to used Rotella 5-40 but it started costing more and supposedly not the same anymore. But like you said. In the end of the day oil is oil do whatever let's you sleep at night.
Want to talk about obsessed, I went back 2 pages and didn't see a single misused your/you're, LOL... Anyway, I can't even remember how the weight debate started exactly but I do appreciate all you fuckers for always helping in getting opinions to consider on everything without being too judgmental! (well, except for one that I blocked, oh that must have been the "your" guy, LOL)

Here's a vDyno on Dizzy V2 e30 I pulled tonight after work. That little blip of lower boost around 3750 was from losing traction even in the middle of a pull on a dry road with tire only at 32 psi, LOL. I also even gathered up barometric pressure and temp for SAE corrected but instead for this pic I used as accurate as weights as possible and even took a little of tread off for wear and used non-SAE with a full smoothing 5, seems to be fair for comparison. (lower pic is original one I accidentally attached at smoothing 2 that show more torque that won't go away.)
non_SAE_e30smoothing5.jpg

Attachments

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I am in total agreement with you... still gonna do my 3k oci tho. Oil is cheap and it just feels good to do it more often.
As long as you don't pour it down the drain and you recycle it properly, then it's your right to throw your money away, absolutely... I know I said up to 7500 but have actually never really gone past 6000, and the oil clearly isn't that close to being finished at all. As a loose rule of thumb, since oil is meant to trap and contain particles, it's only when it's pitch black and cannot get any darker at all is when it's protective properties even begin to degrade.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
As long as you don't pour it down the drain and you recycle it properly, then it's your right to throw your money away, absolutely... I know I said up to 7500 but have actually never really gone past 6000, and the oil clearly isn't that close to being finished at all. As a loose rule of thumb, since oil is meant to trap and contain particles, it's only when it's pitch black and cannot get any darker at all is when it's protective properties even begin to degrade.
Absolutely! I bring the old stuff to the local pep boys for recycling.