Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You should. Every flappy paddle gearbox will auto-blip for you...if the engineers designed it in they did it for a good reason. Most of the downshifting I do (90%?) is accomplished w/o using heel/toe. I learned how to do it when I first learned how to drive sooooo roughly 40 years ago. I definitely have it down, it's just not needed for the majority of street driving as I'm not pushing that hard. That's what track days are for. I get off the gas and/or brake, off the brake/blip, back on the brake as I slow down. Personally I never downshift w/o blipping the throttle.
I started driving manual about 30 years ago, with a lot of automatics thrown in too but never even really thought about using rev matching on a non-track car until about 15 years ago, just never saw any of my family or friends doing it growing up, learning to drive manual, not even from my enthusiast friends, as strange as that is... so I got a late start, couldn't even imagine attempting to rev match every shift, that is like Ken Block shit to me, LOL... and honestly these cars are so smooth to just do a regular clutch slip downshift that I may sneak in a blip only if totally time to think and and plan it. I suppose I'm just far from an advanced manual driver no matter how much hard core manual drivers say that it's the only way to drive right. I can count on one hand the numbers of times I've even seen a manual driver around me in public blipping every or even nearly every downshift, mostly a few snooty BMW guys, hehe. So more power to you, I've met a lot of hard core motorsports drivers since coming here almost a year ago when I first go my FiST, so it's nice to learn from you guys!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What color FiST is that?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Its the Fist that was completely re-painted under warranty I do believe. The member will hopefully chime in....I know he had some complaints about the paint job also.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

cxwrench

I started driving manual about 30 years ago, with a lot of automatics thrown in too but never even really thought about using rev matching on a non-track car until about 15 years ago, just never saw any of my family or friends doing it growing up, learning to drive manual, not even from my enthusiast friends, as strange as that is... so I got a late start, couldn't even imagine attempting to rev match every shift, that is like Ken Block shit to me, LOL... and honestly these cars are so smooth to just do a regular clutch slip downshift that I may sneak in a blip only if totally time to think and and plan it. I suppose I'm just far from an advanced manual driver no matter how much hard core manual drivers say that it's the only way to drive right. I can count on one hand the numbers of times I've even seen a manual driver around me in public blipping every or even nearly every downshift, mostly a few snooty BMW guys, hehe. So more power to you, I've met a lot of hard core motorsports drivers since coming here almost a year ago when I first go my FiST, so it's nice to learn from you guys!
That's how I look at it...it's the correct way to downshift. Nothing racy or sporty about it. If you ever had to drive an old truck you'd be double-clutching and rev-matching every shift because you had to.

ETA: When I raced Supermoto is was really hard for me to get used to riding a bike w/ a slipper...I was so used to rev-matching even on a moto.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
That's how I look at it...it's the correct way to downshift. Nothing racy or sporty about it. If you ever had to drive an old truck you'd be double-clutching and rev-matching every shift because you had to.

ETA: When I raced Supermoto is was really hard for me to get used to riding a bike w/ a slipper...I was so used to rev-matching even on a moto.
For sure! I can do it if I need to, I've always grasped the concept and tried to practice it here and there, just never exposed to it at all in my circle other than maybe driving an old truck back in the day with bad synchros, I guess I'm just spoiled now, hehe.. But yeah, that's why I showed interest in the pedal spacer, I think that getting those properly setup then I can start some heel toe along with blipping more often. Thanks for the chat!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Ever since synchros, rev matching has not been needed. Does it help? Sure. Does it hurt the transmission or clutch by not doing it? Not really. On the track the point of rev matching is to always be in gear - in the correct gear - and to complete shifts with little to no upset to the car's balance. If you clutch-slip the shift to rev match instead of blipping the throttle, it upsets the car's balance. The typical scenario would be heavy braking into a corner and that's exactly when you don't want to upset the balance. People that don't rev match on the track will typically coast into the corner in neutral or clutch-in, then shift and clutch-slip as they apex or sometimes after the apex. It's much, much slower. Rev matching is for speed and balance, not trans/clutch life, imo.

Wrapped my engine cover insert in fake 3m Carbon and put on an overlay to match the logos on the car for now. I have real rolls of 2x2 twill carbon fiber from when I used to make motorcycle parts. As soon as it warms up I’ll take it back out and make a mold of it and make a real carbon insert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Wrapped my engine cover insert in fake 3m Carbon and put on an overlay to match the logos on the car for now. I have real rolls of 2x2 twill carbon fiber from when I used to make motorcycle parts. As soon as it warms up I’ll take it back out and make a mold of it and make a real carbon insert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks slick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cxwrench

For sure! I can do it if I need to, I've always grasped the concept and tried to practice it here and there, just never exposed to it at all in my circle other than maybe driving an old truck back in the day with bad synchros, I guess I'm just spoiled now, hehe.. But yeah, that's why I showed interest in the pedal spacer, I think that getting those properly setup then I can start some heel toe along with blipping more often. Thanks for the chat!
Thanks for all the work on the LED thread. I finally have some nice bulbs thanks to you!