Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Novice Guide to Autocross

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Good luck, and Have fun! That is the most important part.. I went to a test and tune with mine this past weekend and walked away 10th out of 90 in PAX (basically an adjusted time based on class) with no prep besides tire pressures and a driver without much idea what I was doing... The other FiST there was on some better tires and ended up 4th in PAX, so the car definitely has potential!
Well done . On the other car don't happen to know the brand of better tires ??

I do actually. Since it was a test and tune, he was trying out 2 different tires, both were 215/45s mounted on 16" sparco assetto garas. The tires were Dunlop zII's and the bf Goodrich rival. From his feedback, his better time was with the zII's on the front, and he also said that the rivals rubbed when he had those up front

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Oh sure I think I know who you are talking about, He is on that other forum right ??

He may be, I haven't checked out too many other forums. Still pretty awesome to see two FiSTs in the top 10 out of 90+ cars. Sadly, I will keep running on the bridgestones.. I am a little too frugal to toss a decent set of tires lol. But once they wear out I will look into some zIIs on the stock wheels more than likely

Perry

I doubt that I'll ever get to the point of comparing tires for a slight edge; I'll go with something reasonable and work on my own skills. Until I'm at least a decent autoX driver, a decent set of tires isn't going to be my problem. As with almost everything, the biggest key I'm sure is careful learning and practice, practice, practice.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Better tires will give you perhaps a second or so over bad tires and they do make you more confident in your wicked skill set ;)

My philosophy is to drive a car when it isn't prepared, and it will make it that much better when you do start making the car better..

As far as tires, the split between the two of us was a little over a second.. I believe he had a little more experience in general than me, and both of us were completely new to fwd... Lol

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I was just comparing my own personal time when I used our Honda Fit on the normal Conti. DWS and when I switched to the (then hot ticket) Kumhos. The extra grip was very noticable where the car would push or wash out it just held the line and proved once again Hondas have NO torque LOL good little learning car though ..

Perry

I was just comparing my own personal time when I used our Honda Fit on the normal Conti. DWS and when I switched to the (then hot ticket) Kumhos. The extra grip was very noticable where the car would push or wash out it just held the line and proved once again Hondas have NO torque LOL good little learning car though ..
I came to the FiST from a 2010 Honda Fit Sport. Should be Honda Fit "Sport", with the quotes. Paddle shifters? Why? Great little car, but it needed paddle shifters like I need hair in my ears. Er, wait . . . .

Yeah, I am coming from an 05 v6 mustang... So more weight, less power (maybe a smidge more torque) and much worse suspension... Definitely a major change for me with the FiST, but I think I will figure it out pretty quick

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I came to the FiST from a 2010 Honda Fit Sport. Should be Honda Fit "Sport", with the quotes. Paddle shifters? Why? Great little car, but it needed paddle shifters like I need hair in my ears. Er, wait . . . .
We still have our 09 Sport with Paddles which I learned to hate as Honda would not let you downshift till like 3k rpm or some silly number like that. Yes in this cas they are a little gimicky but when done well paddles work sweet like in my Challengers and my FRS. the later had rev matching downshifts too but that suffered the same fate and the FIT (read NO torque)
LOL on the paint brush in the ears got that covered too ;)

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Well, lemme acquire the wicked skills first!
It too shall come to pass little one ... Growing with the car is fun too lets you notice the difference more soonerer or something like that

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yeah, I am coming from an 05 v6 mustang... So more weight, less power (maybe a smidge more torque) and much worse suspension... Definitely a major change for me with the FiST, but I think I will figure it out pretty quick
I understand I had a 11 GT awesome car cept for that little log under the trunk.. they have come a long way with it but you can't fight physics..

Thanks for the help, everyone! [8] I've discovered a novice autocross course put on by the KC Region of the SCCA in April. By summer I hope to have some idea of what I'm doing in it.
Where at in KC? Heard Lincoln is a favored location and holds nationals at its track.

Perry

Where at in KC? Heard Lincoln is a favored location and holds nationals at its track.
The course was April 12; they had an autoX event 4/13. I think they're doing another Novice School in June. Before then there's another regular event May 3. Most all of the KCRSCCA autoX events are held at the Metropolitan Community College Precision Driving Center in Independence/Blue Springs. Easiest way to get more info/details is to check on the KCRSCCA website. Lots of fun, with a fair amount of work mixed in to spread around the effort of getting things done. Would highly recommend it.

I did my first AutoX today in Lincoln. SOOOO much fun!!! Question for you guys. I did the Novice class this time since it was my first time. Ran a 56.69 for my best time and my buddies in Focus ST's were doing lower 50's, besides a new guy like me who's best time was 57......but anyway I don't want to run novice next time. What class should I run if I have a tune, springs, RMM, catback,....maybe a few other things.

TempeST

Im sorry for this, but I have tried searching and cant seem to find it anywhere, and I also may just be looking too far into the subject. but heres my question for the Stock class in Autocross.

I know it is legal to fit different tires, a CAT-back only, a FRONT sway bar, and an intake replacement filter and still be considered in the stock class in autoX, so since the Mountune intake is the stock replacement filter but with a modified lower intake box, Does this make it a Mod that will NOT be legal in the "stock" class? And can you modify your stock box and lower tubing at all and still be considered "stock" I just don't wanna spend/waste money that I will not use. I plan to stay strictly in the (H Stock?) class

Again I apologize if this is a question that has already been answered, But I looked for days and couldn't seem to find the info. I'm new to autocross but no newbie to HPDE. just wanna remain Legal in the stock class. Thanks in advance for any help.

Kyle