Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What tires are you running?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Picking up new tires soon. What is everyone running. Need to be summer oriented tires. Probally stay in the 205 size since I'm lowered. Just looking for feedback.

I have a set of stockers still going strong at 20k, a set of Hankook RS-3s, and a set of Dunlop ZII. The RS-3 are the stickiest and deal with heat the best, as well as dealing with higher slip angles without falling off as much. The ZII are a bit more precise with slightly better initial turn-in, but fall off more with heat and don't tolerate overdriving as much.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I have a set of stockers still going strong at 20k, a set of Hankook RS-3s, and a set of Dunlop ZII. The RS-3 are the stickiest and deal with heat the best, as well as dealing with higher slip angles without falling off as much. The ZII are a bit more precise with slightly better initial turn-in, but fall off more with heat and don't tolerate overdriving as much.
Do they make RS3's in the 205/40 size?

FocusMike

I'm running Bridgestone Potenza's 205/45/17 right now and they seem grippier than the stock tires. I had another set of wheels with Yokohama S-drives and they were awful.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Potenza are the stock tires? FYI planning a trip to the Arkansas dragon in march if you are interested.

FocusMike

Potenza are the stock tires? FYI planning a trip to the Arkansas dragon in march if you are interested.
Sorry I meant Bridgestone Potenza RE760 which is cheaper than the stock RE050A, but I find them to be better overall for the money. They work better in the rain and do seem quieter too. I was thinking of doing that STFest thing in Tenn come August.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
You think the grip is higher in the 760? Yea look up the arkansas dragon. Pretty neat.

FocusMike

You think the grip is higher in the 760? Yea look up the arkansas dragon. Pretty neat.
I honestly do feel that they grip better than the stock wheels even though they are cheaper. The RE050A were great at the beginning but around 8-9k miles it felt less grippy and noisy. I'm close to 10k miles on these RE760 and they are still very grippy. The RE760 does come in a 40 series tire too, I decided to go up to a 45 series because the FiST is my daily commuter and need something a bit more comfortable.

I also did a few runs on our local favorite twisty road (Lime Creek Rd) on both sets of tires and the RE760 just felt better.

You can read some reviews and specs here too.
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire...im=/content/data/vehicles/2014/ford/fiesta/st
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire...im=/content/data/vehicles/2014/ford/fiesta/st

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I honestly do feel that they grip better than the stock wheels even though they are cheaper. The RE050A were great at the beginning but around 8-9k miles it felt less grippy and noisy. I'm close to 10k miles on these RE760 and they are still very grippy. The RE760 does come in a 40 series tire too, I decided to go up to a 45 series because the FiST is my daily commuter and need something a bit more comfortable.

I also did a few runs on our local favorite twisty road (Lime Creek Rd) on both sets of tires and the RE760 just felt better.

You can read some reviews and specs here too.
Yea I read them but I always figured with the treadwear being lower and not being a max summer tire it might not be up to par. When did u hit the road? Was it cool out?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have 20K on the OE tires.
I will be changing them in about another 5K.
It is difficult to find a tire that will give you both good grip and good mileage.
So for my daily use I will stay on the OE Bridgestone for now.

Dave

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
It rubs a little part about 2x2 inch of the plastic inner fender well when I'm on a real hard turn and hit a bump, but its nothing solid and the tire doesn't even show any marks from it after 10k miles.

MOFiST

Is that rear the same profile? The front looks chunkier to my eyes. Do you reckon the trade off is worth it?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
No doubt about it, a tire on an under powered car that has good/great compound will def benefit and perform better with a narrower tire, essp something like a NA civic.

I choose the 235 because I'm using a hard compound designed more for life than performance, and I value straight line traction a bit over everything else given the power the car has.

Without a doubt, these tires when new, got better traction in a straight line vs the stock ones. They never had the cornering speed the stock tires did. Because they are taller, they also require a bit more power to turn due to gear ratio change. But when your biggest issue is 3rd gear burn outs exiting the corner, how wide the tire is becomes something to think about.

In a perfect world, I'd put some ultra expensive $250 per tire, stock sized tire on the front of my car every 10k miles ( my stock set lasted 14k miles ). But I got rid of a G35 that ate $305 a piece rear tires for something that would be cheaper on expendables and be just as fast. The G35 needed tires ever 15-17k miles on the rear and about 25k miles on the front and they were not cheap at all. My fist rides on $76 a piece front tires and bald rear ones ( soon to be replaced with something cheap as well ).

If i was going to road race the car, I'd have special wheels/tires for road course duty. Now that i know the driveline shatters when its given power on street tires at the drag strip, I'll buy some slicks before I go back. If i did autocross on the weekends, maybe i would spend the cash on the $250 a piece 10k mile tires, but i don't.

I needed a tire that got me some traction, was cheap, and that I could sleep well at night after brutally abusing them. (Stand by for a video later). These 235/40-17 did/do that.

Seems everyone on this forum ( and almost all current fist owners ) have a different use and purpose for the car than I do, so I don't recommend my tire to anyone else. It also lost some of its amazing turnin which makes the car so fun stock.

A 235 will fit on the stock rim, but unless your pouring some power to it and your broke ( like me, lol ), then you have lots of better options at 205/215 IMO.

An aftermarket wheel is super worth it, if you buy it for weight instead of price or looks.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The stock tires are on the rear. They just kind of hang on for dead life. The only down side I see to shady rear tires on this car, is "lift off over steer" is a little more likely.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
235 on the rear is not an option from what I'm told. I'm used to "non-rotatable tires" like my G35 had, so its not a big deal to me.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
No doubt about it, a tire on an under powered car that has good/great compound will def benefit and perform better with a narrower tire, essp something like a NA civic.

I choose the 235 because I'm using a hard compound designed more for life than performance, and I value straight line traction a bit over everything else given the power the car has.

Without a doubt, these tires when new, got better traction in a straight line vs the stock ones. They never had the cornering speed the stock tires did. Because they are taller, they also require a bit more power to turn due to gear ratio change. But when your biggest issue is 3rd gear burn outs exiting the corner, how wide the tire is becomes something to think about.

In a perfect world, I'd put some ultra expensive $250 per tire, stock sized tire on the front of my car every 10k miles ( my stock set lasted 14k miles ). But I got rid of a G35 that ate $305 a piece rear tires for something that would be cheaper on expendables and be just as fast. The G35 needed tires ever 15-17k miles on the rear and about 25k miles on the front and they were not cheap at all. My fist rides on $76 a piece front tires and bald rear ones ( soon to be replaced with something cheap as well ).

If i was going to road race the car, I'd have special wheels/tires for road course duty. Now that i know the driveline shatters when its given power on street tires at the drag strip, I'll buy some slicks before I go back. If i did autocross on the weekends, maybe i would spend the cash on the $250 a piece 10k mile tires, but i don't.

I needed a tire that got me some traction, was cheap, and that I could sleep well at night after brutally abusing them. (Stand by for a video later). These 235/40-17 did/do that.

Seems everyone on this forum ( and almost all current fist owners ) have a different use and purpose for the car than I do, so I don't recommend my tire to anyone else. It also lost some of its amazing turnin which makes the car so fun stock.

A 235 will fit on the stock rim, but unless your pouring some power to it and your broke ( like me, lol ), then you have lots of better options at 205/215 IMO.

An aftermarket wheel is super worth it, if you buy it for weight instead of price or looks.
I dont think a 215/40 will be a big problem for this car to fit even lowered as you are unning 235's. Im looking for a gd tire for a mixture of both and I think the 205 might be the perfect tire for the balance of the car but then I think of the tq this thing makes. The Pirelli Pzero is a max summer tire for a agd price in the 205 size. Same equipment thats on the Track Pack 5.0.