Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

shouldbeasy's 'not a build' build.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
DO NOT BUY YellowSpeed Racing Products

First off, this car was purchased with the intention of not modifying it besides some required exterior mods to reduce rock chips (I drive on gravel daily).

So... with my '99 Civic SiR written off by some SMRT fellow in a Ford Probe I determined it was time for an upgrade and the Fiesta ST fit my requirements. Test driving at my 'local' dealer and I was sold - with 0% financing it was impossible to turn down. It does everything I need from a car (fits my 2 dogs plus GF and I, is good on gas and is fun to drive) and it does them well. With a supercharged Toyota 4Runner and a modified Toyota Tundra (sold) for work the Fiesta ST is the reliable car that can get me to and from parts shops.

Over half a year later and I am still in love with it (besides finding out that yes, corners were cut in the quality of interior pieces) and the performance is everything that I wanted the Civic to be. I had envisioned going with a full turbo kit but adding it to the B16A was quite cost prohibitive at the time.

I will attempt to keep a list of the current mods at the top of this page - seeing as this 'build' isn't even supposed to be a build, it should be relatively short. Unfortunately, I have a problem with modifying vehicles...

Factory Options
- Spirit Blue
- Recaro Storm Seats
- Titanium Painted Wheels
- Sunroof
- Navigation
- Weighed on a scale with driver and near full tank of gas = 1380 kgs = 3042 lbs.

Interior
- JBR Weighted Shift Knob - added my own O-rings
- OMP Pedal Set
- Redline Interior Leather Kit - 5 Piece (armrest, front doors, rear doors)
- WeatherTech Digital Match Floor Mats (front and rear)
- WeatherTech Rear Cargo Mat
- 'no-piston' Dead Pedal
- Front Map Light LED Swap
- Rear Cargo LED Swap
- eBay E-Brake Handle ST Decal
- Sound Deadening of Spare Tire Area
- RAM Mount X-Grip for AccessPort

Exterior
- Rok Blokz Mud Flaps
- Custom 3M Protective Film (A-Pillars, Rocker Panels, Rear Cargo Entry + Standard Fiesta ST Kit)
- Window Tint - 15% Rear, 25% Front
- Matte Black 3M Wrap on front chin piece (between fog lights)
- WeatherTech In Channel Vent Visors
- Head Light Bulbs - Philips Diamond Vision H11 HID Super White 5000K Headlight Bulbs
- Philips CREE Reverse Lights
- LED License Plate Lights
- Fog Light Bulbs - Kensun HID 35W 3000K
- Lamin-X Covers on Fog Lights - Clear
- Lightforce Striker 170's with Blue Combo Lens - Cross member notched and welded for mounting
- Debadged Rear - Removed rear 'ST' and 'Fiesta'
- Perrin 'Super Shorty' Antenna
- 'no-piston' Battery Tie Down
- Removed Honeycomb from Front Grill
- Versus Rear Diffuser
- Custom front skid plate
- CMComposites Rally Hood Vents

Suspension
- MeisterR Zeta CRD+ Coilovers (Full soft for normal driving - 2/3's cranked up for spirited driving)

Engine Bay
- Pumaspeed X-47R turbo kit
- Custom Tune (91/94 with aux fuel) with Tune+
- DEI T25/28 Turbo Blanket
- DEI Reflect-A-Gold tape on intake and cold side piping
- GFB Diverter Valve
- Turbosmart WG @ 11 PSI - 2mm Preload
- Large Inlet Elbow - custom ported
- OEM Turbo Manifold - custom ported
- Depo Racing Intercooler Charge Pipes
- Depo Racing Intercooler
- Mountune Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
- Mountune Symposer Delete
- Mountune Silicone High Flow Induction Hose
- Mountune Radiator
- Mountune Silicone Coolant Hoses
- Whoosh Crossover Pipe
- Whoosh Auxiliary Fuel Kit
- NGK Spark Plugs (LTR7IX-11 6510, gapped @ 0.025)
- Borla Cat Back Exhaust
- 2JRacing Catless Down Pipe
- COBB AccessPort V3
- COBB Exhaust Hangers
- COBB Rear Motor Mount
- AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter
- Moroso Oil Catch Can
- Dark Ice Designs Hood Strut Kit

Transmission
- Quaife LSD
- Mountune Short Shifter
- JBR Solid Shifter Plate Bushings
- 'no-piston' Gas Pedal Spacer

Brakes
- Mountune Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
- Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid

Wheels and Tires
- Stock Titanium Grey Wheels for Winter
- Nokian Nordman 205/50R17 - Studded
- Motegi MR125 - Flat Black (17x7.5 ET35) - 14.28 lbs / wheel
- Bridgestone RE71R - 225/45R17 - only two for the front
- Rota Recce - Silver (17x8 ET40) - 19.2 lbs per wheel
- Michelin PS4S - 225/45R17

Coming Soon
- Airbox Upgrade (with ducts from skid plate)
- Wilwood Big Brake Kit (waiting for my replaced brakes to wear out)
- Focus SVT Rear Brake Caliper Upgrade
- Rally Armor Mudflaps
- M2 Motoring Fender Flares

Wish List
- Oil Cooler?
- Japan Racing 17x9 wheels

Removed Mods
- 'no-piston' Evan Canister Skid Plate
- Fumoto Oil Drain Valve (F106S with adapter ADP-106)

Imgur Album

Current

X-47 Turbo - 94 Octane
~270 whp and 300 lbs*ft

X-47R Turbo - 94 Octane

Still on the lot

Day it came home

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
Dead pedal installed with red backing:

Debadged rear hatch and Rok Blok Mud Flaps:

Last edited:
OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I was thinking the same lol.
wow! I'm glad you have that WeatherTech.
Ha! Ya... this is more of a front wheel drive rally car than anything. If I lived in town and didn't have to drive down gravel to get home then it would stay nice and purdy. But I love it and I drive it so inevitably it gets dirty. Kinda jealous that you guys down south get to keep em clean all year!

One reason I doubt my Fiesta ST will ever see lowering springs or a front splitter - they wouldn't last long out here!

Looks great man! How do you like the sound deadening? Did you do it after you installed the Borla system and is there a noticeable difference in interior noise?

caliboy15

Ha! Ya... this is more of a front wheel drive rally car than anything. If I lived in town and didn't have to drive down gravel to get home then it would stay nice and purdy. But I love it and I drive it so inevitably it gets dirty. Kinda jealous that you guys down south get to keep em clean all year!

One reason I doubt my Fiesta ST will ever see lowering springs or a front splitter - they wouldn't last long out here!

I feel you.. I lived in Calgary for a year and it really sucks driving during winter time. I lived in SW area Somerset

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Looks great man! How do you like the sound deadening? Did you do it after you installed the Borla system and is there a noticeable difference in interior noise?
Just completed it - round one I ran out of material and so I went back and made sure to cover everything on my second attempt. I will let you know how it does soon enough - I drive on gravel just to get home so I hope to knock out some of the 'tings' from rocks. Also, I run with the back seats down 99% of the time for my dogs so the road noise is much greater that way, I bet the differences will be noticeable for sure. At least I hope so!

I feel you.. I lived in Calgary for a year and it really sucks driving during winter time. I lived in SW area Somerset
Ugh. I desire a nice car but I can't enjoy them when I have to fret about how clean they are all the time. I want to drive them and enjoy them on the road, not in the detail bay. I love this FiST and it makes me smile every time I hit the gas.

Here are a couple pictures of the sound deadening completed:

Last edited:
OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Very nice truck sir!! And car looks good with the black summer wheels.[twothumb]
Thanks! The truck received some love this past winter with a suspension rebuild - handles the rough rig roads like a champ. Love that beast.

Can't wait to get the FiST back in to summer mode - the winter tires just don't cut it!

gabe

Thanks! The truck received some love this past winter with a suspension rebuild - handles the rough rig roads like a champ. Love that beast.

Can't wait to get the FiST back in to summer mode - the winter tires just don't cut it!
Haha. I bet!! Winter tires = no grip!!

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
RMM Requirement Video Demonstration

[video=youtube;GNQ5zWxt-RA]https://youtu.be/GNQ5zWxt-RA[/video]

Last edited:
OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
And here is my RokBlok mud flap modification - the flaps were all nice and tight but when I got the car dirty there were small rocks and such that got trapped behind the flap pushing it further out from the body. Not cool.

So I figured out that if I support the inside lip more than normal it brings it back to flush. Happy with the easy mod to correct a bit of an eyesore.

First off was trimming the mud flap so it drains better

And then the grommet mod

Last edited:
OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Couple 'small' items ordered - the long overdue RMM (I went with COBB) along with a Perrin Super Shorty antenna, COBB Panel Filter, COBB Exhaust hangers.

The Borla exhaust sounds fantastic but man does it shift around a lot... hopefully these hangers will stiffen up the chrome tips.

One of the bigger changes is going up a size in rubber - I found a set of Michelin Primacy HP's in the 215/45/17 flavour. Having a set of winters in this size I know what the look is like, should fill the fender gaps a big more than the stockers. Knowing this, they will rub a bit - the rear fender liner has been ripped but hey, if that's it I'm not too worried.

'no-piston' is providing some quality items and the latest addition of his was the gas pedal spacer - can't wait to drive the car around and see how much of a difference it makes.

Lastly, the Rally Innovations light bar - I don't think I can turn it down... it would look silly mean with 4 Lightforce lights. Decisions decisions.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Well, after driving the car with the COBB RMM and the wider tires - Wow. The wheel spin is just that, wheel spin, instead of having the front end just hop along. The 215/45/17's fill the fender gaps quite well which is exactly what I was looking for. At the moment lowering springs just aren't on the menu.

The Mishimoto J-Line FMIC has caught my attention as a cost effective alternative to all other brands. The size (no increase in lag) along with thermodynamic efficiency (comparing delta T on stock vs J-line vs Others) it enters the ballgame and, in my mind, pumps itself to the top. The price point makes it that much more attractive as it becomes a significant possibility for me in the future.

Lighting has always been a concern of mine - coming from a off-roading background I do love cruising down dark roads bringing the sun with me. After seeing Pete's build and the placement of his additional lighting I think will be attempting to do the same, as long as I can find some lights of appropriate size. Off to the classifieds!

Every mod has me enjoying the car more and more, can't wait for the next round of goodies.

Pete

Thanks for the shout out :) Also I like what you did for the mudflaps. It is the small things in life that matter.