Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which Fiesta ST Intercooler did you choose?

Which Fiesta ST Intercooler did you choose?

• Mountune

Votes: 67 11.5%
  • PERON

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Airtec

Votes: 19 3.2%
  • ATP

Votes: 10 1.7%
  • Cobb Tuning

Votes: 74 12.6%
  • Forge Motorsport

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Levels Performance

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • Mishimoto J-Line

Votes: 32 5.5%
  • R-Sport

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Deadhook Motorsports

Votes: 47 8.0%
  • Depo Racing

Votes: 102 17.4%
  • Mishimoto (Direct Fit)

Votes: 21 3.6%
  • Modern Automotive Performance

Votes: 27 4.6%
  • Custom Performance Engineering

Votes: 40 6.8%
  • MTC

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 109 18.6%

• Total voters

mishimoto1

Went with the j-line. It's a true DIY project but worth it IMO. The extra 15 lbs out front actually improved balance and handling. If DHM isn't on sale for J-line pricing I would suggest anyone mechanically inclined to go the J-line route. That being said, check DHM website right before ordering because direct fit would have avoided some thinking and a headache.

Just out of curiosity, what is the most "plug and play" intercooler? Living in an apartment, I don't have a ton of space to do work or keep tools and when I eventually buy one, I want it to be easy to install. Just doing research now, so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

I just installed a MAP intercooler. It was a easy install with no modifications needed. No shaving the bumper or grill. No messing with the crash bar...etc. Plus, it looked hawesome.

Just out of curiosity, what is the most "plug and play" intercooler? Living in an apartment, I don't have a ton of space to do work or keep tools and when I eventually buy one, I want it to be easy to install. Just doing research now, so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

jayrod1980

Twolf, yours looks different than mine... Did you go with the Garrett core option? It wasn't offered when I purchased mine... Not that I need it, just looks different.

DaveG99

Ive been looking at intercoolers lately and I have decided that the best bang for your buck factory fit intercooler is the one that MAP offers. If I dont spring for the DHM FMIC with crash bar then I will get the MAP factory fit one.

Ive been looking at intercoolers lately and I have decided that the best bang for your buck factory fit intercooler is the one that MAP offers. If I dont spring for the DHM FMIC with crash bar then I will get the MAP factory fit one.
I agree. With the MTC intercooler currently unavailable, it takes its place as the best value right now. That or the DHM factory fit intercooler. Both perform quite well. Here's a datalog someone sent me for the MAP intercooler. MAP wouldn't willingly give me data, so I had to actually find someone with the damned thing.

http://datazap.me/u/commonplatypus/map-cooler-data-sample?log=0&data=0-2-4-7-8-10&zoom=81-207

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Lol; holy cow, I wish !!!
I had my old cooler I got $250 out of ( after shipping, I got raped, like $150 to Ship !! ).
Then I had the ATP garrett core intercooler that I was super excited to test because I think it was going FLOW much better than my old one, while cooling the same. But I never did get to test it. But I got like $300 out of that one... So.... With $550 in my pocket (from selling my old coolers ) and DHM doing the tax sale, it meant I could actually afford the real deal cooler I wanted all along the way, just could not afford ( around 70-75% of my good paying job pay check goes to child support ).

People may or may not know this, but... When Russ very first joined the forum he told me he was thinking about opening his own shop to build fiesta parts, and asked me if I had any suggestions for his new company to start building/selling as far as parts ( like intakes, fart cans, intercoolers etc ). I explained to him how we were totally screwed when it came to intercoolers, and that while euro cars had access to some nice real sized intercoolers, we were totally screwed due to our crash bar. And I told him how we used to just unbolt them and add 4" thick, 24" tall coolers on the srt4's and it was amazing how much better the car drove in every way ( despite the "Cory Bell" engineers of the world always saying how it would add lag ). Anyway, I was not ready for what Russ was capable of building. While I trusted him and believed all the things he had told me ( about his college schooling and training ), I totally missed the bus when he asked me if he could tune my car. I didn't think I had time to be emailing tunes back and forth, lol. He tried to help me, but I was racing to get results and I had zero wifi at the time, so I ended up missing a chance for Russ to help me greatly at a time I really needed it. My big mistake.

Anyway.... Russ puts together this epic amazing looking crash bar and intercooler kit, the entire time texting me pics of how its built and what materials he's using, and I loved it. I was so impressed with the fab work. Russ finally starts selling it and at the time, it was priced around $900-ish at a time when I was buying used stock brake pads when I could not afford new ford oem pads to keep my car driving !!! Ask Rick/raamaudio. I bought his used stock pads for $25, he'll tell you guys, I was super super super broke. I paid an attorney $17,000 cash over 20 months, while paying $1180 a month in child support, WHILE HAVING MY 4 KIDS 12 days every 2 weeks ( isn't our family court system just amazing ). I was very broke. So while I've posted a million times about how great the DHM kit is, because I've seen how it was built and designed as it was being made. I know how its made and what its made with ( processes and machines ). Its real race car stuff. I didn't make those post because of what it would get me, I made those post because of what it would get his customers. All the american companies we have, and how many of them had the balls to build something like the DHM kit? ZERO. Every single one of them have taken the easy way out, and trouted coolers that "gets the job done", but honestly simply can't do it to the level that it should be done. And they sell the under sized coolers, not because they believe the coolers should be that smaller size, but because they are not going to INVEST their capital, time, and risk into doing it the correct way. Only one company invested truely in our platform. And that was DHM. And guess what.... No one else has stepped up since Russ did.

So if your asking if I got this cooler because of the way I've been promoting it, I think you needed to hear the back story as to why I feel the way I do.

I just never thought I'd personally be able to get one due to my now $2036 a month I pay my ex-wife. That's $2036 per month IN CASH, and I pay their health care as well. So to say I'm excited about owning my DHM intercooler, is an enormous understatement. But its not because it was gifted to me, or even discounted to me.

It is true that I've been able to hang out personally with Russ a few times, which is pretty dang cool for a broke guy from Florida to do with a guy from Michigan, lol.

Can you guys imagine what a jack ass I feel like? Russ asked me to LET him tune my car for free, and I said "I don't have time", lmao. How the tables have turned, lol.

jayrod1980

That's some great testimony there man. I think the DHM kit is all that and then some. Unbelievable fit and finish! Looks amazing with the grill opened up too! I just noticed though last month a Garrett core option which is why I asked about the difference. When this thing is at full spool as it is, charge temps are incredibly close to ambient, as read by the AP3. As far as I know, the outside ambient temp sensor (the reading displayed inside the car, not the AP variable) and the charge temp (coming from the MAF sensor) are some of the only true temperature readings... Not inferred by a variable formula. So when you see your charge air temps drop down to within a degree or two F at WOT, you know this intercooler is the real freakin deal. I don't know how much that will change once I go cyborg, but just at max bolt on levels it's amazing how well this baby works.

I too am of limited means and was really happy to be able to buy this kit at a time not long after Russ was beginning to sell it. Also, for such a busy guy, he gives out his cell phone number and literally Facetime'd me through the install on a Sunday morning! I wish I could afford his quick spool kit, but I'm always on the lookout for whatever he's coming out with.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Hi Sour, sharp of you to pick-up on my little dig. I am sorry you are getting so screw on child support. Happens in this country too.

There is no doubt DHM do great work. The fab work on their crash bar and turbo kits are first rate and he has put a lot of time and effort into the Fiesta platform.

I might as well be honest here rather than drinking the Kool Aid, which I think is how you guys put. I don't like the IC. I am not going to say why I don't like, cause at the end of the day, it is only my option.
And just for the record, there are things about the Mishi J-Line I don't like either. Guess I am hard to please.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Hi Sour, sharp of you to pick-up on my little dig. I am sorry you are getting so screw on child support. Happens in this country too.

There is no doubt DHM do great work. The fab work on their crash bar and turbo kits are first rate and he has put a lot of time and effort into the Fiesta platform.

I might as well be honest here rather than drinking the Kool Aid, which I think is how you guys put. I don't like the IC. I am not going to say why I don't like, cause at the end of the day, it is only my option.
And just for the record, there are things about the Mishi J-Line I don't like either. Guess I am hard to please.
Its all good man :)

Its not my personal product. Plus... Unlike you, we only have one option, you can use one of many different euro coolers.

Without a "dog in the fight", what is it that you don't like about the cooler ? I mean really. Could be something your right about.

You've contributed as much as anybody around here, so I'm interested in your response for sure.

Nothing wrong with a J-line, as long as your ok with less frontal area. For the cost, its a good option. But there is a difference between doing the job well, and doing the job in epic fashion.

Does it snow in Australia ? I assumed your climate was similar to mine in Florida, meaning maximum cooling is a super bit deal. It was 40 degrees here a week ago, and 94 degrees today, lol.

Please... Promise not to be a jerk.

And "drinking the kool-aid" is a perfect way to say it, lol. Also see: "nut swinging" lol.

And that's messed up, I had more faith in the Aussie's logic over our retarded american "gold digging whore" driven family court system.

Take one person, make them a slave ( I goto jail if I don't goto work ). While my ex has an extreme amount of disposable income to simulate the economy with

twolf

I only have one complaint about the DHM and it's partially my fault. I had no clue a Garrett core was an option or I would have done that! :)