Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST - Track and High Performance tire recommendations

I used the Federal 595 Evo's for my first track day at Streets of Willow on a cold day after Christmas. I felt really good grip on them until the later half of my sessions. By then, I was slipping and I wasn't able to get the same traction I was getting earlier in the sessions. I was impressed by them, but since I run them as my daily and sort of my track tire, I don't expect them to last longer than 1 more track day, which I plan on doing here soon.

I'd like to update this thread but also break it down into category and tire sizes that seem reasonable for the FiST. Let me know if I'm off base or if there are sizes everyone is using that I've missed. What tire you ultimately choose depends on your level of compromise with regards to wet weather grip, on-track dry grip, and of course tread life. There is no magic tire, you have to pick what your priorities are. This is why many track guys have street summers and track-day tires on separate wheels.

Tires by Category. Keep in mind these may not be applicable to the size you want to run, it's just for perspective.

HPDE and Track Day tires: (Tires you bring with you and never drive on the street)
*Hoosier R7
*Toyo RR
*Hankook Ventus Z214

"Streetable" Track tires: (tires that you could conceivably drive on the street, but more likely you only put them on to drive to the track, do a day/weekend, and then drive home on them)
*Toyo R888 and RA1
*Nitto NT-01

Extreme Summer tires: (tires that you DD in fair weather, giving up some rain performance for maximum dry grip, and can also survive a track day)
*Bridgestone RE-71R
*BFGoodrich Rival S
*Dunlop Direzza Star Spec ZII
*Toyo R1R
*Hankook R-S3 Version 2
*Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R

For Tire sizes, I'm going to start with the stock 205/40-17.
Unfortunately, there are no Extreme summers in this size. The OEM Bridgestone RE050A and Pirelli PZero Nero aren't very suitable for track work, keep these on the street. There are track options:
*Toyo R888
*Nitto NT-01

215/40-17: A bit wider than stock but not much taller. I don't see any track-specific tires, but there are extreme summer options:
*Dunlop Direzza Star Spec ZII
*Yokohama Advan AD08 R

Going down to a 16" size that's a bit shorter than stock, the 205/45-16 is where some grip shows up:
*Hoosier R7, YES!
*Bridgestone RE-71R
*Hankook R-S3 Version 2
*Toyo R1R

Still in 16" but a tiny bit taller than stock, the 205/50-16 has some good options:
*Hankook Ventus Z214
*Bridgestone RE-71R
*Dunlop Star Spec ZII
*Toyo R1R

A bit on the aggressive side, the Hoosier R7 is also available in a 225/40-17 that should prove to have mega grip for the serious track day guys. This tire should be run on an 8"-9" wide wheel for maximum performance.

I also see some guys run 15" wheels. The two obvious sizes there are 205/50-15 and 225/45-15, same as the Miata guys. Chances are if you're running those you know what tire to pick for your needs!

I hope this was somewhat helpful.
Cheers,
Ryan

I'll vouch for the 215/40-17 Yoko Advan AD08R. Perform way better than stock. Will be doing two autox this weekend and will report back with results. Im expecting them to not perform as well as Star Specs but be better at track/spirited street driving.

Siestarider

[MENTION=4567]Ryephile[/MENTION], very well organized and I agree with categories. Might be possible to expand 16" options.

I just mounted 215/45/16 BFG Rival S, slightly taller than stock, they look a little wide for the 7" wheels, plenty meaty, handle very nicely on street. Find out about track in 10 days.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Ryephile,
Great info, thanks for posting it:)

A VERY important thing to look at is not the size marked on the tire or listed for it, the actual specs vary wildly on many tires, look at section width, tread width, diameter and weight.

The RA1 and R888 can certainly be driven to and from events, I have done so many times up to 75 miles each way, I have not ran the NT-01, just NT-05 on a Vette, fun tires but not really track tires.

BEST tire ever that can be ran on the street, I would not do it in the rain or all the time, RA1, they will hold for more heat cycles than any tire I know of, by far. I buy mine as take offs from pro race teams, already shaved, heat cycled then ran a bit, the set I have now, 6 of them, 4 I have put on 8 hard sessions and all but one still has a ton of life left in them, one still at least a few more sessions. I paid $600 for 6 tires, fresh take offs, all 90% or more tread left on them(after having been shaved first) and likely to get many track days out of them and I use my tires harder than most.

Likely the best all around summer only, street, autocross and track tire right now is the RE-71.

Matching wheel width to actual tire specs can make a considerable difference, the 225/45/15 Rival S was shown to be 1 second faster on 9" wheels than 8" wheels on a 45 second "road course". Problem is they softened the formula and it is now a street/canyon/autocross tire, possibly good for time trials as well but not a great track tire if you run consistent fast laps. I have them and love them overall, ride hugely better than the 205/45/17 Mich PS3 AS I just gave to my daughter and much quieter as well.

I will have to look up the current actual Hoosier specs, the 225/45/15 R6 tires I had were more like a 240-245 and looked almost skinny on a 9" wheel and would not fit under the rear of my car though my other two types of 225's fit, tight fit, but fit:)

-----------

Sadly a 17" wheel is not a good fit for this car as just not many wheel and tire combos that work out, the tires start getting way to tall if you want much width.

16x8 is a perfect fit but not much made and just so many tires but it can be worked out fairly well, close call fitting some over a BBK.

15x8, dang fine but no BBK fits if you need one.

I run a DIY custom BBK under 15x9, front and rear, it was a ton of work but I liked the challenge, I have some 15x8 on order that might fit, a very close call, I might have to mod the front kit a bit more but really wanted 15x8 for some Neo Gen AS tires, likely the stickiest AS made.

I am always glad to help those looking to improve the performance of this car with lighter and wider wheels and better tires.

Sorry if I sound like a know it all, I am far from it as I have to study this all the time as I have for close to 50 years of picking wheels and tires to make my cars faster, things always change, and get better:)

Sincerely,
Rick