Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New to forum, new owner 2015 FIST - Backup camera mod I'd like to share

Been on the 3 main boards reading up on mods and discussions about the FIST - nice little community and I wanted to share my install of a backup camera - why Ford did not include this as an option for the ST is beyond comprehension, and don't get me started about not having a Xenon option as well....

I read up on various options and pieced together my own budget yet clean install that I think the community would find valuable.

Parts:
Camera:
goo.gl/LK9PHw - I got 2 of these in case of crappy Chinese quality. These fit directly into the license plate light. Keep in mind you will still need to drill a hole in your car. I found out that there was no way to get the access into the rear hatch from this location. (can't fit the 3/8 in composite video plug)....

LCD:
goo.gl/6jyrBb =- Std cheap screen works pretty well. Comes with all required cables - the power cable is crap, but I used it to reduce the # of wires needed to hide in the cabin.

18g-22g electrical Wires, taps, electrical tape - get some wire taps 4 should be fine. Pretty straight forward.

1) Remove drivers tail light - feed composite cable to the front of cabin and into the back, fish thru the rubber grommet the rear tail light uses.
2) Tap the reverse ground (blk) and power (white)
3) connect this to the camera power plug.
4) pop the rear hatch trim (its a PITA)
5) fish wire from tail light to center or rear hatch where you will drill the hole.
6) Drill hole in middle where the license plate goes (3/8 should do it). I used duct tape to weather proof until I get a grommet.
7) Pop out driver license plate light - plug in license plate light and use electrical tape to secure in the new camera module.
8) Fish wires into new hole you made in the car. Connect - test - put car in reverse - if the lcd in the cam lights you're good.
9) Hide wire under driverside plastic trim, jam it under where trim (door sill) meets the carpet.
10) Keep hiding wires on up to the drivers side front pillar.
11) now your composite video wire + power wire is read to connect to lcd monitor.
12) You will need to wire up a new ground for the camera - look up driver foot well, there is a good ground spot where an existing wire is.
13) You are done, make it look decent and you saved $500 bucks.

cam2.jpg
cam1.jpg
lcd.jpg
hole.jpg

Thanks for the post!!!
I just order one on ebay and will be connecting it to a rear view mirror monitor.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Congratulations on the new Fiesta ST and thanks for sharing this post with us.

OP
A
Thread Starter #5
It came with dbl sided tape - it has a little stand. I added 3M trim level tape (the super strong stuff) and just place it on the dash. I hid all the bulky connectors into the pillar mini window. Def use flexible cable tubing to clean up the look. If you can figure out how to remove the composite cable connectors and splice it together it would look way more clean.

OP
A
Thread Starter #7
If you have the patience to pull out the hatch trim - you can definitely bypass drilling a hole in the body.
What you can do is - fish the camera wire into the license plate light compartment - the drill a hole inside the hatch (no one will see it and does not cause water leak issues) run the wires out from there. That would be the ideal way to install this.

I just didn't have the patience or skill to completely remove the hatch trim and i didn't mind drilling a hole into the car.

Good luck with the install!

Have you had any experience with one?
The only thing I'm worry about is the stability of the wireless transmission.

Have you had any experience with one?
The only thing I'm worry about is the stability of the wireless transmission.
No I don't, it's based on a 2.4ghz transmission has a decent range and works well through all kinds of objects. Worth taking a risk considering the wired version is about 1/2 as much.

OP
A
Thread Starter #13
Awesome to see more folks sharing more options - i surfed around quite a bit and it looked like posts to the backup camera topic died off in early 2014. Keep in mind I went with the direct wire method because I read way too many reviews about poor signal quality. Drilling into your car is never fun but it maybe worth it to get reliable consistent performance. Also, I discovered that buying 2 rubber grommet to fill in the hole = same cost for 140 set on amazon. Unbelievable - if anyone decides to drill a hole, I got plenty to share.

Good modding! Now - if anyone can tell me where the latest threads are getting a chinese company to build us some NA Spec $400 projectors I would be happy to find some potential manufacturers. Maybe start with the guys making the Focus ST ones?

AzNightmare

Bumping this old thread up. I'm interested in getting a reverse camera installed, but kind of lost reading this thread due to my limited skills in wiring things up.

Is this just plug and play? And how was the wireless method (that didn't require drilling)? Was it stable long term? And which parts am I looking for?
Am I looking for a screen and backup camera separately? or is it one kit? I was reading the guide from OP and I wasn't sure what the 18g-22g electrical Wires and taps for?