Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

Update: Service manager just called. They're asking for $1900 + tax for everything, parts & labor all wrapped together.

If the tax is just sales tax, $2023.50 is the total.

Why did the line but just happen to come off ? Is that something you had apart during other work or could it be a warranty claim ?

OP
DHM1

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #63
Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies. Finally found out what happened. The nut that holds the hard oil line to the turbo came off. I just spoke with the service manager at the Ford dealership, who says they are assembling a list of parts needed to repair it. He says the turbo is "shot" and that the core lines need replaced at the same time.

I saw Ford's employee pricing is around $900, so I figure $1080 for me. Core lines...another $200-300? They have already charged me $330 for labor. All said and done, I'm probably looking at a $2000 repair bill. Any suggestions? When he calls me (he says within an hour or two) should I tell him I am looking at other options? Sourskittle does the Cyborgs, I could purchase a larger turbo, etc. What would you say and what would you do?

I can probably get out of all of this for the $330. No parts have been ordered yet, and I could have them toss the pieces in the trunk and I can have it towed home.
If there not going to warranty it I got a awesome lo mileage turbo I can send you. I would do the swap your self if they are going to charge you for sure

Russ

MOFiST

Turn water into wine. Get a cyborg lol. Follow the guides here. Learn. Win win.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I wish he did. Cause $150 for race tuner and he'd have one, lol. I'm working on a 93oct tune right now. But we just don't have the time for the upgrade, so we're getting him back on the road for now. Cyborgs are built to order. So its like a 2 week process after payment.
$2000 is insane. I'm glad he's close.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I wish he did. Cause $150 for race tuner and he'd have one, lol. I'm working on a 93oct tune right now. But we just don't have the time for the upgrade, so we're getting him back on the road for now. Cyborgs are built to order. So its like a 2 week process after payment.
$2000 is insane. I'm glad he's close.
Ahh, gotcha. You're a good man. What's your hourly rate?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Actually I don't know, but I just thought about what I would do it for, what I have in the parts, and figured i had to wake up early on a Saturday and drive 2 hours there, do the job, and drive 2 hours home :)
We actually got lucky because I really one get 1 Saturday a month for "wtf ever I want to do". Other wise, I have my 4 kids or I work the other Saturday.
Hoping Ford doesn't make a mess when he tells them he's not paying them another cent and to tow the car to his house. They prob really thought they had him by the balls, I can only imagine what they are going to think when he says, "just tow it home, I'll take care of it", lol. They obviously have zero interest in working on these cars at dealerships.

Also. This is the second time I've been involved with this happening to someone (the oil line coming off the turbo). The last guy was in another state. He paided a shop to install his DP and they had to remove his entire turbo to get to one of the downpipe bolts ( I guess it was an issue, it didn't come right out ). They forgot to install that bolt for the line and the samething happened to him. Toasted his turbo. That's why when this come up on this thread, instantly said, "you likely don't need a new motor, you likely just killed the turbo".

I guess its easy to forget that bolt because its located on the back out the motor and almost entirely out of sight ( I actually don't see it when I install the bolt ). And the hose fits in nice and tight with an O-ring.

Glad he didn't need a motor !!! I don't have a spare one, lol. If ford wants $2k for a turbo, what do you think then entire engine would cost !!!?

iso100

1000 Post Club
I saw a short block on the Perrin site for $660. Not including VAT or shipping.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I think even taking that route, the short block is the tip of the iceberg. Gasket, labor, and fluid would be pretty high. Funny, the short block is pretty cheap, its just "piston and stuff". But the head is expensive and I don't even wanna know what a full dressed motor would cost with DFI and everything on it.

My issue hasn't been fully resolved but somehow the lower radiator hose came loose ford said. However I have never had coolant in my garage where I park which is where it first acted up. After I took off the stage 1 tune and intake it's now running fine. I had the tune and intake since around November so I'm wondering if I got some bad gas and the tune didn't like it or something. But idk how the radiator hose would come loose. I know that can be a side effect of a bad head gasket. Well we will see. They said anything that happens is still under warranty so autocross this weekend will put it to the test lol

So this morning it was low on coolant again. Took it to the dealer and they don't have time to look at it so that means they won't give me a rental. Now I'm wanting to just get out of it and the dealer I purchased it from less than a year ago only offered me $16k so let me get this straight they say oh nothing is wrong the other day yet they will only offer me 16k on something they will sell at $21,9xx. Figured customer service would say hey be strong on the offer but hey logic is overrated right? I was nice the entire time being that I work at a different dealer but that offer pissed me off.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
So this morning it was low on coolant again. Took it to the dealer and they don't have time to look at it so that means they won't give me a rental. Now I'm wanting to just get out of it and the dealer I purchased it from less than a year ago only offered me $16k so let me get this straight they say oh nothing is wrong the other day yet they will only offer me 16k on something they will sell at $21,9xx. Figured customer service would say hey be strong on the offer but hey logic is overrated right? I was nice the entire time being that I work at a different dealer but that offer pissed me off.
You shouldn't be too surprised, I don't think any Ford's hold their value well short of the Focus RS and other limited-edition models.

rexdriver85

You shouldn't be too surprised, I don't think any Ford's hold their value well short of the Focus RS and other limited-edition models.
I agree with this. That's why we need to keep these cars for the long term. And I think it's feasible. I believe the FiST will also prevail in the long term against the FoST. We will see.

If you want a vehicle that doesn't depreciate you need to go get a Subaru lol.

Lol well my issues is mainly the spread they think they should get on it. You shouldn't try to make $4k + on a car. According to the tech that can explain why my coolant is low again it would have no recon cost except a wash. I wish I had gotten a wrx at this point. I traded my s2000 with 45k on it for this thing :/ bad decision

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Lol well my issues is mainly the spread they think they should get on it. You shouldn't try to make $4k + on a car. According to the tech that can explain why my coolant is low again it would have no recon cost except a wash. I wish I had gotten a wrx at this point. I traded my s2000 with 45k on it for this thing :/ bad decision
That has nothing to do with any 'spread'. Assuming you bought the car new, simply titling it causes an immediate depreciation as it goes from being 'new' to 'used'. Just like anyone that purchases a modification that tries to get near-new prices when they sell them after having them installed on their vehicle, it's just not realistic to expect a high return-that's why a car is generally considered a 'depreciating asset'.

With that being said, it's always just a start for negotiation.

I'm talking about they sell the car for $6k more used than they offered me creating a very large spread. I work at a used dealer and know behind the scenes things as far as pricing goes. My car just stalled out after attempting to start and failing at it. Right after the stall it started just fine. Also they topped off coolant today and now it's below the min line again after less than 20 miles of driving.

Subarus are no strangers to drivetrain problems. I myself went through the bottom end of mine, just helped a buddy swap a new trans in his, and know plenty of people that have had new engines or trans put in before 15k miles even. No one car is perfect, and if they were, I wouldn't have a job as a technician!

Ford Community Posts