Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

It runs and drive well now. Ran hot recently once but I pulled off the interstate and shut it down immediately. Guess the car doesn't like morning traffic here in Nashville. I'm convinced it has a cooling issue but ford is not buying it back they said. All of the issues except for the initial one was due to a mechanic that doesn't know what he is doing. Trying to sell the car now.
Sounds like a lemon. You might want to consult an attorney. Ford corporate will start getting serious then...

Yeah I mean really I love the fist iv driven all the other hot hatches and just don't enjoy them as much. I just want them to replace my engine and cooling components or trade me another one. I miss being able to autocross on the weekends.

Just a suggestion, but while having a serious and expensive issue at hand I would probably not express your wanting to autocross in the car that you are having the problem with. For 1 you have cooling issues, usually from running the car at high temps for stressfull periods of time. 2. You have wraped head and probably the bottom-end as well, caused by excessive heat, and 3. Most importantly, a Ford service Rep who has all your info. Not to bash meagan im sure shes great but Ford doesnt want to pay for anything they dont have to. This website is probably monitored by more people than we think. Im just saying, do what you wish but becarful what you post esp if you really need that coverage.

P.S. Kill all tires!!!! Lol

Lol I get all that. The warped head and blown gasket have been replaced under warranty. The problem actually happened during the winter months and when it happened it never gave me any indication that it was hot or anything. The last thing I did before my engine acted up was cruise control 75 down a wide open interstate at 6am. Also I traded in my s2000 which I autocrossed a ton to get this car and hopefully Autocross it while having a more spacious car and better gas mileage. But now I just have a fun commuter car that I can't actually use all the potential of. Oh and also Ford will not buy it back because most of the shop time was due to a bad technician not knowing how to do his job.

This happened in February 2014.

Username: imbp
Car and Year: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
Mileage: 143
What failed - piston, rod, injector etc?: Cam Phaser, subsequently valvetrain and pistons
Modifications and tune: stock, showroom new.
Under what circumstances did it fail (WOT, cruising, what did you hear and feel?): Acceleration from red light at normal traffic conditions. Felt engine lock up at <3000 rpm.
Any signs prior to failure?: No.
Warranty?: Complete engine assembly from FoMoCo, Full labor coverage, Complementary scheduled maintenance plan, fully paid rental.

My car was three hours old.

Thread
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/961-Hello

If you're so worried you could always go the mountune route and keep your warranty
I've definitely thought about it. If the mountune accessport could later be used for other tunes or sold i'd go that round for sure. I need to go to a good local dealer to see how they are with mods a warranty work.

JasonHaven

Considering how long the car has been around, I'm pretty pleased with how few legit problems there are in this thread. Nice!

OP
DHM1

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #130
Considering how long the car has been around, I'm pretty pleased with how few legit problems there are in this thread. Nice!
Yea I agree look over in the focus thread will make you want to [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Russ

Hi Guys, long time not on this forum. The FiST is proving to be a piece of cr@p. I kmow of 7 that have fried pistons, mine included.

Car and Year: 2013 - 2015
Mileage:
What failed - piston, rod, injector etc?: Pistons (3 with no 2, 1 with no 4 , 3 with no 1 & 3)
Modifications and tune: From stock to full stage 2
Under what circumstances did it fail (WOT, cruising, what did you hear and feel?): Mine cruising m cant say for the other.
Any signs prior to failure?: None
Warranty?: On the stock cars yes.

Another interesting issues, The 1.6 Kuga shares the engine with the FiST . Our dealership has four booked in right now with blown head gaskets. Getting rid of my FiSt asap.

twolf

Hi Guys, long time not on this forum. The FiST is proving to be a piece of cr@p. I kmow of 7 that have fried pistons, mine included.

Car and Year: 2013 - 2015
Mileage:
What failed - piston, rod, injector etc?: Pistons (3 with no 2, 1 with no 4 , 3 with no 1 & 3)
Modifications and tune: From stock to full stage 2
Under what circumstances did it fail (WOT, cruising, what did you hear and feel?): Mine cruising m cant say for the other.
Any signs prior to failure?: None
Warranty?: On the stock cars yes.

Another interesting issues, The 1.6 Kuga shares the engine with the FiST . Our dealership has four booked in right now with blown head gaskets. Getting rid of my FiSt asap.

Who tuned your car? How is the gas in South Africa? What kind of piston failure? Melted? We need more info.

Who tuned your car? How is the gas in South Africa? What kind of piston failure? Melted? We need more info.
Looked like a combination of melting and Ringland Failure. Just another one last Tuesday, Piston no. 4 failed. Factory this side is not really giving us any feed back.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The usdm focus is at a damn near epidemic level of failure. Same piston, same place, same failure. I'm actually blown away by the fact its not everywhere. I's figure the STi guys would be pointing it out as loud as they could to down play there own engine failures. Crazy this day and age where info is so easily shared that its not EVERYWHERE.

On the flip side... I've heard of 3 USDM fist failures. And one was making over 400whp.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
STI....I had an 07 Forester XT with $30k in bolt ons, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc....it would hit 128MPH easily then just stop pulling halfway down the 7/8th mile front strait at MMP. I had enough time left per lap to think about what to do next, $15-20K into the engine and still be a ticking time bomb or get something else. Having a $90K Forester did not make much sense, I parted and sold it off and bought a full race C5 Z06 instead.

I would never buy an STI, Evo maybe....

----------

Are most of the failures on the FiST or FoST piston related or are some bent rods from making big torque in tall gears?

It seems more so to be pistons, perhaps Ford will spend a few more bucks on forged ones in the future builds as it would not really cost them that much, wishful thinking for new owners at best.....

------------------

Here is how I decide what to do on my cars, F' the warranty and do as I please and pay for whatever happens, much less stress that way:)

Used engines with low miles are available and cheap, buy a spare to keep on hand, which I want to do but no place to store it in the RV and could need it when on the wrong side of the country.

Or, buy one, take it apart, upgrade known weak parts, install it and keep the original for a spare or the other way around.

For those seriously concerned, needing to, etc, keep the warranty, mod to the level you can and keep it, Mountune seems the best path.

If you go beyond that then accept the responsibility and just live with it;)

twolf

Wouldn't a melted piston be a symptom low speed pre-ignition? From what I've read, LSPI causes a lotttt of heat.

And LSPI is what you get when you floor it in high gears?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That makes a lot of sense actually and just might be the main issue some have had especially if you tweak the stock turbo over what it can flow at higher RMPs causing serious heat which may be what is happening in the marketing search for "big torque numbers".

Quisp

1000 Post Club
My car is getting replacement Long block at the dealer . They found as I had already #3 cylinder with coolant. Does a long block include new turbo? Hoping I don't have any problems from the installation. I'M sure they use torque wrenches on critical fasteners [wrenchin]

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Got the car back today. New long block. When I was getting the rental car at initially dropping it off the service writer asked " it's not tuned is it? " I said what's that mean? He smiled and walked off. I guess if Ford doesn't ask they don't check. Everything looks good no loose clamps. It is making a whirring noise at 2500-3000 that I don't remember from 3 weeks ago. Also they used the dark green coolant. The only mod I left on was RMM.