Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Why did you have to pay for a new HPFP & pressure Sensor? just curious.....Ford tried to get my Mother to pay for Oil and Filter on her 2017 Edge sport after the Oil pan was replaced due to its poor design and being plastic with a silicone gasket. I asked if they Were High currently and that the oil change is a part of the repair under powertrain warranty. She didn't say she wanted an oil change either..... [popcorn] What a bunch of Dumbys!
So basically what happened was... not my fault... but I wanted the car back without having to deal with the dealership anymore. I have access to dealer pricing on parts, so I bought them at cost and let the tech install it.

To put it simply, Ford authorized a certain amount of things for the job, the tech asked for way more than that. Parts ordered everything and gave it to the tech. So I got a shitload of free parts including the turbo. So they wouldn't allow the tech to add lines for those parts. Essentially my car was sitting in limbo at the dealer for a week because they didn't really want to eat the cost of parts that were installed and not approved by ford, so I paid to get it back.

Never thought this would happen to me. But 81.000 miles. About 15.000 miles on an X47R.
jtjablock.jpeg received_351537758998556.jpeg

Closure on the deck, cracked liners, valve cover gasket failure in cylinder 2(hence the oil).

It sucks, so now I'm probing PumaSpeed for a suitable replacement. Maybe a refurbished or redtop block to cope with the X47R on a daily basis as this is my daily driver.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Never thought this would happen to me. But 81.000 miles. About 15.000 miles on an X47R.
View attachment 25167 View attachment 25168

Closure on the deck, cracked liners, valve cover gasket failure in cylinder 2(hence the oil).

It sucks, so now I'm probing PumaSpeed for a suitable replacement. Maybe a refurbished or redtop block to cope with the X47R on a daily basis as this is my daily driver.
When did this happen? Driving? Symptoms? Tuner? Mods? ....tell us the story morning glory!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Symptoms started with a hunger for coolant and then things escalated to intermittent misfires especially above 3k RPM on load and overheating(even on my regular commute with a max speed of 50mph and regular start/stop traffic). Cranked the heat to control the coolant temp till I could stop and cool it down.

I changed spark plugs which seemed to remove the misfires for a time(before the overheating began). But it came back.

In the end it overheated for one last time on my morning commute. No power and I limped it in first gear to a parking lot from where it got collected. Wouldn't start after that. Checked for spark and there were loads, it cranked fine but sounded hollow and no compression.

Result: compression on cylinder 1, 3 and 4 were all but non existant and the resulting mess in previous post.

I was running following:
X47R with PumaSpeed OTS map.
Tune+ IWG45 WGA
R-Sport Pro 400 Gen 2 Intercooler
R-Sport charge pipes
GFB Diverter valve
K&N Filter on stock airbox with upgraded charge pipe
Denso ITV20 spark plugs
Milltek 3" catalytic converter mated to the stock exhaust

Last edited:
Symptoms started with a hunger for coolant and then things escalated to intermittent misfires especially above 3k RPM on load and overheating(even on my regular commute with a max speed of 50mph and regular start/stop traffic). Cranked the heat to control the coolant temp till I could stop and cool it down.

I changed spark plugs which seemed to remove the misfires for a time(before the overheating began). But it came back.

In the end it overheated for one last time on my morning commute. No power and I limped it in first gear to a parking lot from where it got collected. Wouldn't start after that. Checked for spark and there were loads, it cranked fine but sounded hollow and no compression.

Result: compression on cylinder 1, 3 and 4 were all but non existant and the resulting mess in previous post.

I was running following:
Tune+ IWG45 WGA
R-Sport charge pipes
GFB Diverter valve
Denso ITV20 spark plugs
Did you ever have you injectors cleaned? A proper direct injection cleaning, where you send them off to be pressure tested. https://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/products/servicing-1-injector.html

2016 Car
53k miles
Stage 1 Revo from 22-44k
RT330 from 44k to death at 53k
I was traveling at speed but not high in the revs and on a gear change it lost power and started to misfire,
Oil coming out of air filter and no compression on cylinder 3
its been used on track once for 15 minutes other than that just a fun daily

gtx3076

1000 Post Club

I was running following:
Tune+ IWG45 WGA
R-Sport charge pipes
GFB Diverter valve
Denso ITV20 spark plugs
Did you ever have your logs reviewed?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
IMO ...I think this comes back to The inadequate cooling system in the FiSTs. There are numerous members who have ran high HP FiSTs for 50k plus and some of them even have 100k on their FiSTs with a upgraded Turbo currently installed. So I think one of the Best Mods is to get a Radiator with more passes in it to further cool the engine. Then again.....maybe NOT.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No, no logs, I only ran some temp readings after fitting some gold reflective tape on the intake pipe as it got hot on top of the exhaust. But no logs.
Your engine thanks you....I hope you are only kidding though about no logs....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
No, no logs, I only ran some temp readings after fitting some gold reflective tape on the intake pipe as it got hot on top of the exhaust. But no logs.
I couldn't imagine running any modifications without a tuner. Hell, even stock, it's a great way to see issues you might not otherwise notice. After watching my idle AFR's swing rich to lean after a fill up, people here were able to diagnose it as the common purge valve issue. I would never notice it otherwise since my car has never stalled out or ran rough. My first thought was a bad O2 sensor or something.

Previously had a ring land failure (cylinder 4) with an X47R, aux fuel, mishimoto radiator and ethanol tune. Just to note I was experiencing overheating in the middle of the summer in Arizona while running the car stock PRIOR to modding the car. Bought and installed a mishimoto radiator which solved the issue...then began modding from there. I rebuilt the engine with forged pistons and rods from mountune and everything has been goochi. Beat the piss out of her with the stock turbo for six months.... and now I'm back at it with an upgraded S280 turbo :) .

IMO ...I think this comes back to The inadequate cooling system in the FiSTs. There are numerous members who have ran high HP FiSTs for 50k plus and some of them even have 100k on their FiSTs with a upgraded Turbo currently installed. So I think one of the Best Mods is to get a Radiator with more passes in it to further cool the engine. Then again.....maybe NOT.
this right here and a lower temp thermostat