Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Seat Lowering Rails?

zanethan

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The mounts on the stock seats are built in so you would end up raising the seats instead of lowering them by adding another layer of mount unless you modify the stock mounts to fit but then you could do that and not have to buy the added mounts.

I will take another look at the stock setup, there might be a way to notch the stock floor location where the seats bolt onto but most are not willing like I am to take such measures as it is a serious structural part and would need to be compensated for properly.

My last race car was a major issue in this as I moved the seat back to the hump under the rear seat that had the fuel tank under it, notched the tunnel to move the seat more towards the middle of the car and used a very expensive full race adjustable steering column the same as used in NASCAR. The seat mounts were then tied directly into the roll cage and I used a full race pedal setup as well.

Just saying all this so you understand that experience is behind what it would take to lower the seats in this car, I have made hundreds of my own including building full roll cages, etc.

Sadly it is quite apparent no mounts are going to help you out unless going to the right aftermarket seats which will need to be fixed back and locked in place.

If you do a lot of errands, into and out of the car often that route gets old very fast, especially if you use race harnesses, I have done so and my fully streetable race car had 8k miles on it in 5 years as just not that fun after the first few errand runs.

Have you done it?

I suppose if aftermarket seats fits on those, the stock recaros have to?
I have not, I looked into it but it seems like its more work than I'm willing to put in or more money than I would want to spend, I might do it but for now I'm just living with the stock seats

The mounts on the stock seats are built in so you would end up raising the seats instead of lowering them by adding another layer of mount unless you modify the stock mounts to fit but then you could do that and not have to buy the added mounts.

I will take another look at the stock setup, there might be a way to notch the stock floor location where the seats bolt onto but most are not willing like I am to take such measures as it is a serious structural part and would need to be compensated for properly.

My last race car was a major issue in this as I moved the seat back to the hump under the rear seat that had the fuel tank under it, notched the tunnel to move the seat more towards the middle of the car and used a very expensive full race adjustable steering column the same as used in NASCAR. The seat mounts were then tied directly into the roll cage and I used a full race pedal setup as well.

Just saying all this so you understand that experience is behind what it would take to lower the seats in this car, I have made hundreds of my own including building full roll cages, etc.

Sadly it is quite apparent no mounts are going to help you out unless going to the right aftermarket seats which will need to be fixed back and locked in place.

If you do a lot of errands, into and out of the car often that route gets old very fast, especially if you use race harnesses, I have done so and my fully streetable race car had 8k miles on it in 5 years as just not that fun after the first few errand runs.
Thanks for the information! I will have to remove my seats soon (I'm most likely doing a swap grey for orange soon), so while the seats are out I'll take a look at it. I don't care if the seat becomes fixed there as I don't really move the seat anyway.

Just so I understand what you're saying (and I have not really checked yet), but if I want to remove the recaros, it's everything that comes with right? We're talking about the Torx screw we can see on the floor and that's all "one" part?

zanethan

Thanks for the information! I will have to remove my seats soon (I'm most likely doing a swap grey for orange soon), so while the seats are out I'll take a look at it. I don't care if the seat becomes fixed there as I don't really move the seat anyway.

Just so I understand what you're saying (and I have not really checked yet), but if I want to remove the recaros, it's everything that comes with right? We're talking about the Torx screw we can see on the floor and that's all "one" part?
Correct 4 torx bolts and the electric clip and the seat comes out in one piece.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Make sure to disconnect the battery and wait a couple of minutes before unplugging the air bags.

It might be OK to just pull the fuse but there are so many interacting aspects of modern cars I would not change popping an airbag.

---------------

Lucky for me my seats sit just right all the way down, being 5'8" has advantages, or I would have to cut out the stock floor mounts and rebuild them, something I have done on a few vehicles but no longer want to do such mods.

There is at least 1.5 of not 2" to gain by modding the stock mount locations.

---------------