Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Seat Lowering Rails?

Does anyone know if they exist for our car? I got a floor model, so it came with the sunroof, and I don't think I could fit a helmet in without being in a weird driving position. An inch or two lower would be nicer day to day, and a necessity for wearing a helmet (assuming a good driving position).

OP
Sir_Stig
Thread Starter #3
Yeah I know, but it's not enough for me (I'm 6'4")

I am with you on this one i am 6'1 and would like the top of the steering wheel to be about where my chin is!

OP
Sir_Stig
Thread Starter #5
I tried a quick google and I couldn't find anything, I figured someone here would know.

Chuckable

I've gone down this road with a car before - Civic Si (9th gen) and there was nothing available. Had to kinda' tilt my head to the side a bit with my helmet on. I'm not aware of anything off the shelf for the FiST. The best shot is probably going to a trustworthy fab shop and asking if they can fabricate a new seat mount for you. Think it goes without saying how important it is to make sure the mount is strong and correctly designed!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Sunroof is pretty far back but with long enough legs that might work, leave it open:)

--------------

I have lowered the seats in a couple of cars by sectioning the stock mounts and welding back together and on one before I started welding just bolting them back together. If I was near my car, 750 miles away right now, I would take a look to see if this is viable.

I am 5'8" and find I sit higher than I prefer as I do in most vehicles but I clear everything and the headrest is no longer an issue since I bent it back.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I many modern cars the seat mounts are not readily removable from the seats thus rendering a bolt on solution not usually available, that is why I sectioned them in some cars to lower the seats.

Though I have done it with bolts I prefer gussets and welding so at least but more likely stronger than stock.

I usually build my own seat mounting brackets when installing aftermarket seats as well as I can make them lighter and sometimes lower than most if not all that are sold.

When I get a chance to check out my car I will see what looks like the best approach and let you guys know.

Coming from Hondas and Miatas, I'm also used to aftermarket seats/ seat rails available to achieve a lower driving position.

I'm definitely interested in a solution that can lower the stock Recaro seats.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I will not be back to my car until the 19th and not able to spend anytime on it for a couple of days, been away from my wife and doggies far to long......but...

In the meantime if somebody wants to post pics of the front and rear mounts and as much as the rails as you can get, must be good pics with good lighting to help, I will take a look and let you know my initial thoughts on which we to go on this.

I will do anything I can to help:)
Rick

OP
Sir_Stig
Thread Starter #14
Thanks man. I will try and get some good photos this weekend, I have access to steel sheers and steel anywhere from 1/32" to 1/4", there is a nice chunk of 3/16" steel I found that should be sufficient. I'll post pics when I can.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I forgot about this thread until the bump post....

I took a look at the passenger side, likely very similar if not a mirror image of the drivers side as nearly all seat mounts are.

Likely I have stated I have built many seat mounts, modded seats, upholstered them, had many race seats, aftermarket seats, used aftermarket mounts, etc........I have a very good understanding of what it takes to lower seats as I have done many.

On this particular car it will take some serious fabrication to lower the seats enough to even matter due to the design of the whole slider, mount, release mechanism, etc to make them low enough to make much difference. Even the smallest amount, 1/2" max it would be a pretty big effort.

For those needing or just wanting lower seats you would have a far easier task of switching to a good aftermarket fixed back seat with side bolsters designed for relatively easier ingress and egress and most pure race seats are a real PITA to live with on a street driven car. Of course you will give up the seat air bags which are designed to work with the side curtain airbags so it may be advisable to disconnect those as well.

Reclining seats generally will not go as low so there might not be enough gain to warrant the change and there are no reclining seats that are actual race seats I know of, there was one engineered for it at one time but I have never seen it used in a race or serious track car.

As likely previously noted I looked into going with the best aftermarket seats I could afford, most are not very comfortable on the street, building mounts, I have Recaro sliders on hand, but the weight savings was only going to be around 12lbs or so, the fabric is not going to hold up like factory material, air bag issues, etc....I decided the factory Recaro seats had to stay.

Unless you are willing to give up most of the air bags, a serious track junkie willing to swap seats back and forth, etc........just not many options that are viable on this car.

I came here to look for something, I'm guessing that after another year and a half there is still nothing that can be done to lower the seats?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

zanethan

As someone who has dug into the Fiesta seats more than most, I will back up that it is indeed pretty much impossible to lower.

Using a Planted Bracket with an aftermarket seat and no slider rails will get you lower by about an inch. If you add in sliders will put you pretty much back where you started though.

As someone who has dug into the Fiesta seats more than most, I will back up that it is indeed pretty much impossible to lower.

Using a Planted Bracket with an aftermarket seat and no slider rails will get you lower by about an inch. If you add in sliders will put you pretty much back where you started though.
Well...no one drives my car so what planted bracket would work with this car? I'm not completely opposed to having a fixed seat if I can get it lower.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk