Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

C. love

you can never leave things alone!! I am surprised i haven't messed with mine. Eventually i hope to pickup an intake. In due time i guess

Bet you have to avoid all the puddles now :p haha. Have you left the original intake in as well because that pipe looks fairly skinny tbf. Very neat and good job though good work :)

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
Bet you have to avoid all the puddles now :p haha. Have you left the original intake in as well because that pipe looks fairly skinny tbf. Very neat and good job though good work :)
Yea, I have left the original intake in place which I intend to mod at a latter date when I have the front nose of the vehicle to change the intercooler.
Air box has a small drain hole in the bottom along with the lowest point of the intake pipe.
That said, I will avoid driving though any flash floods, heavy rain, no problems. Its not the first time I have done this mod to a vehicle with no bend conrods so far.[:)]

The next question is: Have you noticed any improvement in performance or sound effects for all your work.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
The next question is: Have you noticed any improvement in performance or sound effects for all your work.
I'd have to say no. Can't hear any more intake noise because of the sound symposer, the engine seems less strained as it approaches the rev limit at WOT but that could just be my imagination. I could always test pressure drop across the air filter when I may do sometime if I can get hold of a vacuum gauge at a reasonable price. One of the main reasons I did the mod was because of future mods to the exhaust, intercooler, tune, turbo ext.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
You do bring up a good point, I've gone to all this trouble so I might as well test it and it just so happens I have found my Vac test gauge.

Vac Gauge.jpg

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Well I've modified my intake again, lol.
Concerned that the 50mm cold air intake may not be larger enough, I have added another 50mm hole in the engine bay area facing towards the fender. I got the idea from a poster on a different forum who cut multiple holes in his air filter housing in the same area.
I now call it the Tri-Flow intake with Whoosh Pssst hole.
A mate suggested I call it the try hard intake but I think he was just being a nasty little man.
See what you guys think?

Tri-Flow Intake.jpg

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Do you think having the elbow in there will affect airflow from the bottom hole?

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Well I've modified my intake again, lol.
Concerned that the 50mm cold air intake may not be larger enough, I have added another 50mm hole in the engine bay area facing towards the fender. I got the idea from a poster on a different forum who cut multiple holes in his air filter housing in the same area.
I now call it the Tri-Flow intake with Whoosh Pssst hole.
A mate suggested I call it the try hard intake but I think he was just being a nasty little man.
See what you guys think?

View attachment 822
interesting way you went with it.
I went the opposite route, I drew air directly out the bottom thru a 2" hole then affixed a 2" flexhose and routed that into the empty area inside the bumper fascia. Then I pulled my LH headlight, and carefully drilled a total of 5 (in a 3x2 pattern) holes in the side of the lower airbox, facing the backside of the headlamp.

Initially the extra hole in the bottom of the intake made no difference, but after I affixed the flexhose and drilled those other 5 holes the car does indeed feel much less strained and more responsive.

I am augmenting this with a Cobb high flow filter, will report on results.

thanks for the inspiration Sek, the only thing I really did different was use black components

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
looks good, any video on the Woosh Pssssst hole in action?
No video, it does not add much noise so I doubt you would hear much in a video because of other road noise. I am sure it would be more audible with a K&N or similar.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Do you think having the elbow in there will affect airflow from the bottom hole?
A good point and something I thought about when I fitted the elbow and the reason I ended up drilling the hole in it. Air will take the easiest path so I don't really know how much flow is going where, lol.
I did it for fun more than anything else.

Do you think there is enough room on the bottom of that box to get a 3" hole cut in it?
If not then if I was to buy something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Tech-Co...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25885c559f

Then cut a perfect 50mm hole in the bottom, Slide the aluminium cone into the hole from the inside of the box and then attach the ducting onto the bottom of it where would be best to take the ducting to?

Great setup by the way :)

Jack

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Do you think there is enough room on the bottom of that box to get a 3" hole cut in it?
If not then if I was to buy something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Tech-Co...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25885c559f

Then cut a perfect 50mm hole in the bottom, Slide the aluminium cone into the hole from the inside of the box and then attach the ducting onto the bottom of it where would be best to take the ducting to?

Great setup by the way :)

Jack
Theres probably just enough room to cut a 3 inch hole in the air filter housing.
As to where you would run the ducting if its not at the front of the vehicle, I think Mountune run there hose somewhere under the headlight near the bottom of the washer bottle area.

Lovely :) and yeah I dont trust having a hole in the front where I live. Way to many big puddles and quite often even floods in bad rain.
Yeah I have seen the mountune I think it goes down into the free space near the intercooler

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
interesting way you went with it.
I went the opposite route, I drew air directly out the bottom thru a 2" hole then affixed a 2" flexhose and routed that into the empty area inside the bumper fascia. Then I pulled my LH headlight, and carefully drilled a total of 5 (in a 3x2 pattern) holes in the side of the lower airbox, facing the backside of the headlamp.

Initially the extra hole in the bottom of the intake made no difference, but after I affixed the flexhose and drilled those other 5 holes the car does indeed feel much less strained and more responsive.

I am augmenting this with a Cobb high flow filter, will report on results.

thanks for the inspiration Sek, the only thing I really did different was use black components
Sorry, didn't see your response. My bad.
Any photos of your cold air intake Nick?.