Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone roll their front fenders?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Yes!

I fit 15x9 wheels with 225 RA1 race tires under mine easily.

I also had 225 Hoosiers which required pulling by loosening the mounting bolts and and max rolling as the Hoosiers are more like a 245 wide tire than a 225 though labeled as such.

You can also loosen the fender bolts and pull them out a bit and still look good.

OP
S

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Yes!

I fit 15x9 wheels with 225 RA1 race tires under mine easily.

I also had 225 Hoosiers which required pulling by loosening the mounting bolts and and max rolling as the Hoosiers are more like a 245 wide tire than a 225 though labeled as such.

You can also loosen the fender bolts and pull them out a bit and still look good.
Wow you can barely tell. I may need to do this with my 205/50/16 setup...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club

I do need to work out a design that does not look like wannabe racer and divert the air from hitting the front and rear tires where they stick out, been considering it, nothing I like just yet.

Since they stick out far more than my street wheels I am considering building a far more aggressive splitter and incorporate them into it so it can all come off for the street.

OP
S

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Raam, i called a performance shop inquiring about fender rolling and they asked about material of fenders. Are they aluminum or fiberglass? They also had concerns of quality of paint and cracking? These guys work mainly on German cars so they probably have "oh its a ford=cheap" mentality. I wont be going to them because they are $$$ but still would like to know.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Put a fridge magnet on your fenders if it stick they are not aluminum or glass my guess they are steel and some form of plastic in the bumper covers.

Just went and did said test and it stuck so that leads me to believe they are steel or some sort of ferrous metal that is magnetic

OP
S

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Put a fridge magnet on your fenders if it stick they are not aluminum or glass my guess they are steel and some form of plastic in the bumper covers.

Just went and did said test and it stuck so that leads me to believe they are steel or some sort of ferrous metal that is magnetic
Thanks Rod. I also need small walk through on painting the rusty hubs. What materials and black paint to buy. I wanna do this this weekend.

OP
S

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Im guessing a wire brush and high temp rustolium paint should do the trick?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Yep, wire brush and high temp paint will do it nicely:)

--------------

Fenders are steel.

You can loosen the bolts and pull the fronts a bit and they still look good.

Paint is pretty easy to crack even when using a heat gun on them but I really rolled mine to fit the 225 Hoosier which is closer to a 245 wide tire and probably did not keep the warm enough.

Then I realized I could not fit the Hoosier tires under the rear so did not need to roll the front so much but did have to on the rears which are much harder to roll.

Sand until smooth and touch up paint will make them look good enough for me, not as worried about the body of my cars as I use them hard and they get a bit dinged up no matter what.

I need to roll my front fenders- running stock size but running 15mm spacers and just lowered with Vogtland springs. I read^^ that there is some play/adjustment to be had where the fender bolts on- is that correct? Also I watched a few youtube vids on rolling- using a heat gun and a pipe or bat wrapped with tape for a diy. The actual fender arch tool looks awesome but I don't think I wanna buy it. Any other tips or must know info will be helpful.

I need to roll my front fenders- running stock size but running 15mm spacers and just lowered with Vogtland springs. I read^^ that there is some play/adjustment to be had where the fender bolts on- is that correct? Also I watched a few youtube vids on rolling- using a heat gun and a pipe or bat wrapped with tape for a diy. The actual fender arch tool looks awesome but I don't think I wanna buy it. Any other tips or must know info will be helpful.
Please dont use the bat/pipe method lol ive seen vids of that and its just too harsh for a new car. I know a guy in northern va i believe hes in woodbridge but that may be too far for you. Let me know.

I think I might of found a local guy if I go that route. Maybe I can max out the fender adjustment and be okay- I will start there.

I wish Harbor Freight would make a fender rolling tool. It is pretty simple and I would only use it on 8-12 fenders in my lifetime probably so it should be cheap.

V_2

You can pick up an Eastwood fender roller for under $100 when they're on sale (definitely don't go the bat/pipe/phonebook method!). Rolling really is a simple process, it just takes the right tools and patience. Watch demonstrations and tech videos before you try anything.

Just take it slow, apply generous heat, use a heat gun, hair dryer won't be hot enough unless maybe doing it in the dead of summer, and don't roll too tight. The paint can only stretch so far before it cracks, regardless of your method.

I advise against letting someone else do the rolling for you. You will either pay way too much to have it done right, or pay $100 and risk someone ruining your paint. And, if you buy a roller, you can charge your buddies to roll their fenders or rent the tool to them.

I just looked on Ebay and there are generic fender rollers starting at $45 shipped.

That is more like it.

I remember when they first came out, I think the Eastwood was over $200.