Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Used Oil Analysis Reports

OP
B
Thread Starter #81
It's too bad there's no way to do a VOA on the factory fill. I think believe that the "greeness" of the first oil change oil is due to the factory grease and and any lubricants applied to the factory cast parts. I don't know if there is any other info on BITOG about the factory fill for Fords or if it would be vehicle specific.

Looks like a little potassium in your first sample (not significant though). I had a whole bunch in my last sample (with a small drop in my coolant). I'm doing another change this weekend so I'm hoping that it's clear.
Only thing I've read on there is the green is a dye from the OEM to verify maintenance has been done to some extent. Most likely it's a locally sourced oil so maybe Castrol who sources a lot of OEMs, MAYBE.

OP
B
Thread Starter #82
Just got my report back. Looks normal for the factory fill drained at 1500 miles.

Looks pretty good. These engines certainly don't give up much metal. It's a good sign we are all coming in pretty close in results too. Shows a pretty consistent build quality for the engine at least.

OP
B
Thread Starter #83
I agree, it's definitely different. It doesn't seem to be just the OTS blend with an additive either. The leprechauns will never give up the secret to their sauce though.

Yes, I went with Motorcraft semi 5w20 at this change. At 5000 I will change it again and switch to Pennzoil Platinum.
I'm still leaning to a non synthetic with low additives given the reads I've seen lately. There's another one by Caltex that promotes conventional oil versus synthetic for DI, I will try to find it again and post it.

Hey guys,

I have an ingot silver Fist, I smell a lot of fuel on the oil cap and dipstick when I removed it, car has about 677 miles on it now, still keeping it soft on the break in, a couple pulls but nothing extreme.

The oil has a very gas-like smell to it, heavily, looks slightly diluted, and my gas mileage is pretty poor for being so light on throttle, I'm filling up twice a week and not driving but a few hundred or so miles.

did your oil smell like gas throughout break in at all? is this common?

Some fuel dilution is very common on GDI engines and mine smelled a bit of gas. The slightly elevated flash point of my oil reflects that (since Blackstone's method of testing for fuel isn't accurate). There is no way for you to tell how diluted it is by looking at the dipstick. I get 250 miles or so on 9 gallon fill ups (give or take depending on how I drove it that tank). If you are concerned about it, you should be keeping track of your gas mileage. What does the MPG say in the gauge readout?

It also depends on how far your trips are. If they are short trips (less than 25 miles or so), and the oil doesn't get warm enough to evaporate the fuel that inevitably ends up past the rings especially during warmup, you will get more fuel dilution.

There is no proof showing some fuel dilution does anything negative to an engine.

OP
B
Thread Starter #86
Hey guys,

I have an ingot silver Fist, I smell a lot of fuel on the oil cap and dipstick when I removed it, car has about 677 miles on it now, still keeping it soft on the break in, a couple pulls but nothing extreme.

The oil has a very gas-like smell to it, heavily, looks slightly diluted, and my gas mileage is pretty poor for being so light on throttle, I'm filling up twice a week and not driving but a few hundred or so miles.

did your oil smell like gas throughout break in at all? is this common?

Very, don't worry about it. Part run in, part DI and part turbo. Should level out in a few thousand.

thanks man, I mean it hauls some ass, but seems poor mileage, doesn't have much engine braking capability, if I'm coasting in 4th gear it just almost keeps coasting lol, so i figured lack of compression. but I'm a worry wart so i guess thats just me.

so the poor gas mileage is normal, the engine feels strong and it is quick as hell, almost gives me tunnel vision lol but this smell has me worrying man

thanks

Poor mileage is relative. Check your gas mileage. If you're driving it easy but in city traffic, you should be getting 28 or so (got that my last tank). It drops to 24-25 real quick if you're having some fun. My average is 26 over the tanks I have filled over the past 1500 miles. I have gotten over 32 on the highway holding it at 75 MPH. These are real numbers, not what the computer tells me. I have found the computer to be off by .2 to 1 MPG on the conservative side from tank to tank, resetting the meter at every fill up.

Keep in mind the size of the tank too.

Alright, it just has me worried, my last 15 subaru I got rid of for this never smelled of gas in the oil and my speed3 before that never smelled of gas in the oil, and I'm kind of wanting to take it in, but I'm obsessive and don't want the dealer beating on her.

I just know its not supposed to smell and am psychologically wired to know that smell isn't normal (to my greatest knowledge, which is limited to an extent).

did your cars do this also?

See my post in post #85. DI engines are known for this, especially the Ecoboosts. My MKV VW TSI smelled a bit too. There is no proof this negatively affects an engine unless it's drowning in fuel in which case, other things would be very wrong.

so I shouldn't take the car into ford and tell them I want new rings lol,

how many people on here can smell gas in their oil at 877 miles?

no car I've had (all DI) have ever had gassy smelling oil. that tells me gas is leaking by the piston rings down into the pan and stinking it up, I know there may not be reasonable proof that it could cause or will cause issues but its not normal for a good compression engine to leak fuel and get crap mileage when the hwy epa is 35 mpg... and I'm babying this thing for the most part.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
so I shouldn't take the car into ford and tell them I want new rings lol,

how many people on here can smell gas in their oil at 877 miles?

no car I've had (all DI) have ever had gassy smelling oil. that tells me gas is leaking by the piston rings down into the pan and stinking it up, I know there may not be reasonable proof that it could cause or will cause issues but its not normal for a good compression engine to leak fuel and get crap mileage when the hwy epa is 35 mpg... and I'm babying this thing for the most part.
Yes, you're over-thinking it. In just this thread alone there are multiple people discussing the smell of fuel in their oil, and then there are UOA's showing that fuel dilution is not an issue worthy of having concern-it's just part of the nature of owning a DI vehicle. If it bothers you that much then collect a sample and send it in for analysis because there's always the possibility that you have an issue, just don't be surprised when it comes back normal. If you're getting bad mileage then give it time and adjust your driving habits, experimenting with what works best for you and your commute-keep your speed at posted limits, accelerate firmly up to them, and ensure you are coasting in-gear instead of just putting the car in N or riding with the clutch in.

Use quality fuel as well, most newer engines/ECU's are quite sensitive to them.

thank you for the information,

I use only 93 octane in FL.
I accelerate slowly to the posted limit, break early, coast to a stop and never ride the clutch.
I leave it in the cruising gear at 50-55 mph on the larger roads and longer commutes.
shift from 1st to 2nd at 10-13mph
2nd to 3rd at 20-23
3rd to 4th at 30-33
4th to 5th from 40-43

and stay in fifth or sixth dependent on needed torque.

I never ride the clutch or hard launch or torque max in 1st and 2nd, and I generally over-think everything Im doing, but thats the nature of my personality although i don't mind rattles and creaks from weird places in cabin or squeaks and noises, I feel that gasoline slipping by my rings and seeping into the oil pan is a disappointment for a car with almost 800 miles on it.

But if I truly shouldn't worry about it, I will not worry about it.

Id just like to know how many other people have been experiencing this but clearly theres no scientific evidence stating that its a bad thing for the motor vehicle, I can see this gas seepage problem being a real problem when I'm out of warranty at 36 bumper to bumper.