Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

WARNING Euro Spec Owners - Boomba Racing Short Shift Lever

XuperXero

As title states, installed my Boomba Short Shift Lever, Shifter Base Bushing, Transmission Cable Bracket Bushing and Shift knob a couple months ago. Didn't have time to post this until now.

But there are SIGNIFICANT differences between Euro spec and US spec cars.

Referring to Boomba's instruction steps (link), steps 3 to 9 is completely useless. Our cars have ENTIRELY different panels. No luck searching internet for DIY's on Euro spec center console either. I had to figure out myself and break a couple of tabs in the process, but now posting this I hope you guys won't make the same mistake.

Unfortunately, I was in a rush during the installation and did not take pictures. Therefore, thanks to internet, I found some that can be used as general reference to my descriptions.
a) Using plastic panel removal tool set, pry the rectangular plastic where Passenger Airbag ON indicator is. Unplug harness.

b) Now for the center console, the usual. Remove shift knob, remove shift boot trim (just pull upwards). After this is the tricky part.
c) The smooth black plastic is separate from the grey textured plastic, you need the plastic tool to pry up and backwards starting from lower corner. Once you have space to fit your hands in, start pulling upwards and towards the back of the car until the top part. Step a), you removed this piece leaving a gap between the smooth plastic and the car. Now there's two tabs on both side that you need to use plastic tools to pull backwards and it is TIGHT. Be careful here because this is where I broke one of the tabs. Unplug harnesses.

d) Then you remove the textured plastic, start from the back and pull upwards until the front, in which you pull backwards.
e)Viola! Continue from step 10 in boomba's instrutions.

For our cars, we do not need to remove the side panel plastic as stated in boomba's instruction.

After reassembly, I tested out the shifter and to my horror... There was horrible noises whenever going in R, 1, 3. The culprit below:

Our shift boot surround piece has diagonal corner in the front and shorter while US spec is completely squared. This caused contact between shifter surround tab and the cable linkage.

Euro

US

I could have reduced the throw by changing the position of the shift lever contact point in order to make this work, but I paid shipping to Canada, flew to Canada to pick it up then brought it back to China, there was NO way I was settling for less. I wanted MAXIMUM reduction. I wanted 40%. That's right, FORTY PERCENT (I assumed that's how much I'll get combined with Mountune short shifter).

So the following ensued

Yes, I cut the factory stock plastic pieces. No going back.

End result?

Works perfect. I am in LOVE with this shifter!!

Went on a 6300km road trip later on, the entire package of cable bushing, shifter base bushing, shift lever, shift knob makes this a breeze to drive. Boomba cleverly designed it that even shifting to 5th gear, I can still have my arm on the armrest and the direct feel from bushing makes it just slip into the gear slots just feels amazing! Totally worth the trouble and ruining my factory pieces. Thanks [MENTION=1045]Boomba Racing[/MENTION]!

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Glad to see you're happy with the product! Thanks for the heads-up on the fitment. One thing that could have caused the problem was if the base bushings were not fully seated.

Glad to see you got it all working!

MOFiST

I did encounter this as well but didnt get the great photos you did. I had one photo but wont worry about posting it now.
I've trimmed the tabs like you've done.
Props to you for posting this. When I get in 'work mode' I often forget to get good pics.
One other thing I found the shift lever is clocked slightly to the left for me. I guess it's not a problem for all the LHD cars out there though.
I ended up buying an bent shift extension and clocked it back to the right. It was still fine but I'm loving more now.
The throws so much slicker and even more positive with this Boomba lever and both sets of bushings. I would recomend this mod to anyone who is confident.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Very nice thanks for the good information. Is it just me or does the Euro spec interior quality look a lot nicer then ours :(

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #5
Glad to see you're happy with the product! Thanks for the heads-up on the fitment. One thing that could have caused the problem was if the base bushings were not fully seated.

Glad to see you got it all working!
No, thank you for the product Boomba!
Base bushing's fully seated. Worked on lots of cars before, including working for a race team and a drift team. I think I know how to install some bushings ;).

I did encounter this as well but didnt get the great photos you did. I had one photo but wont worry about posting it now.
I've trimmed the tabs like you've done.
Props to you for posting this. When I get in 'work mode' I often forget to get good pics.
One other thing I found the shift lever is clocked slightly to the left for me. I guess it's not a problem for all the LHD cars out there though.
I ended up buying an bent shift extension and clocked it back to the right. It was still fine but I'm loving more now.
The throws so much slicker and even more positive with this Boomba lever and both sets of bushings. I would recomend this mod to anyone who is confident.
Thanks for the props, my younger days involved heavily reading DIY's on forums. So now I try to take as much time as possible to return the favor to the new generations. But of course.. this was a bit of a rush job as I did this during work hours ;).
Which is why there was no interior panel disassembly pics.

Ah yeah... designed for LHD cars, it's clocked slightly to the left is why it's easier for me to put into 5th without lifting my arm off the armrest. I can imagine 1st must be a little far off for you eh?

Very nice thanks for the good information. Is it just me or does the Euro spec interior quality look a lot nicer then ours :(
Yup... does look nicer :p

But you get multi-color ambient lights!