Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stealthy Frankenfiesta

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #161
OMG. While I loved the TTR mounts for what they were, my car is SO much more well-mannered around town with the stock upper mounts. We'll see what adjustments I'll have to make in applying throttle at the track and what happens if I get a bigger blower in there. But, oh man, this old fart is once again enjoying scooting around town in the little toy.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #162
I think that I'll be done soon. I think.

Turns out, I'm not quite done and I was a little inaccurate in saying that I would not swap out to an entirely different FI system. It's the same approach and bolts on, but will be slightly modified vs. stock.

In the mail:
  • mountune MRX
  • mountune BOV
  • Cobb AP3 with MRX tune (sadly, can't do this upgrade using the mountune version of the Cobb AP)
  • mountune Fiesta ST Oil Control System

That'll all get installed by the end of the month or so. Then: Datalogging per Mountune's guidance and some testing at the track before back to back 20+ minute sessions.

It'll be a process.

Turns out, I'm not quite done and I was a little inaccurate in saying that I would not swap out to an entirely different FI system. It's the same approach and bolts on, but will be slightly modified vs. stock.

In the mail:
  • mountune MRX
  • mountune BOV
  • Cobb AP3 with MRX tune (sadly, can't do this upgrade using the mountune version of the Cobb AP)
  • mountune Fiesta ST Oil Control System

That'll all get installed by the end of the month or so. Then: Datalogging per Mountune's guidance and some testing at the track before back to back 20+ minute sessions.

It'll be a process.
I was going to get the mountune AP what's the difference that the mountune can't handle?

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #164
I was going to get the mountune AP what's the difference that the mountune can't handle?
The proprietary mountune version of the Cobb AP does not allow for the kind of tuning changes and such that the standard Cobb AP3 permits. The mountune unit is intended as a tool for uploading OTS tunes from mountune to the car. It can monitor the same data points AFAIK, but data logging per se it not really something that is particularly useful since the tunes are "fixed" in nature. I used the mountune unit to monitor engine temps at the track.

With the MRX tune for the new turbo upgrade, the mountune USA folks anticipate some data logging and back-and-forth engagement with EVERY MRX customer. That mandates the capabilities of the standard Cobb AP3.

If you want the MP215 or MR230 tunes (and related HW), you MUST get the proprietary mountune AP. If you want to go with the MRX turbo upgrade (and the tune, etc.), you must get the standard Cobb AP3.

I'm not sure if the mountune AP will download your current tune (to save it) before uploading the new tune. That's what the Cobb AP3 does, but I'm not sure whether the mountune version is set to do that. I don't think it does. That's a handy feature for keeping a stock tune available.

YMMV.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #165
Mountune stuff is installed. Now it's time to get some data logs done and then get it to the track for some test and tune.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #169
Please post some videos.
I will post stuff but it'll come in drips. I'm not very organized. Main problem is that I have to get the datalogging process to verify the tune before getting to a track day. Just a matter of time and energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question... ( I didn't read through all 9 pages of the thread) the sico hood vents ... are they always open? Or do they come with something to close off for weather? I'm running injen intake so I was wondering. Thanks!

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #171
Quick question... ( I didn't read through all 9 pages of the thread) the sico hood vents ... are they always open? Or do they come with something to close off for weather? I'm running injen intake so I was wondering. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. Yes, always open. Car is a very low mileage example that generally lives in my garage when not in use.

Sorry for the delay. Yes, always open. Car is a very low mileage example that generally lives in my garage when not in use.
Ooohhh that won't work for me it's my daily! I'll have to find another option since I have an incredible amount of heat in the engine bay. I'm guessing turbo blanket and wrap the intake.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #173
Finally got my car to a dyno shop to do a little data logging on the initial tune. I now understand the "slot 1" and "slot 2" terminology. Passed the initial tune's slot 1 "0 wastegate" (spring only) tune. Switched to slot 2, running full boost. Power seems down from what I'd expect, unless that stated ballpark of 270ish HP is the "crank" number. If that's the case, then I'm in the ballpark. I've sent the data logs to Randy Robles and I'm hoping that we can extract more power out of this. It was running on 92 octane PNW pump premium.

Update: Randy sent back a tune that adds boost and spark per his reading of the slot 2 data log. Not sure when I'll be able to get back out to get another log done. Curious how many rounds it'll take to get "dialed in" and then the "final" HP/TQ values.

Last edited:
OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #175
What is the rear tow hook connected to?
Hey man! Sorry for the delay. It was done by my local shop. It was not cheap. The Pierce front two hook setup is awesome and an incredible value. This is great too, but to reiterate, not cheap.

Basically, they welded a nut to the rear crash beam. There was probably some cutting of holes the beam finessing of the thing to get it to fit cleanly. The hole goes through, so there's an opening that was cut to accommodate the nut Here are some closeups (without removing the cover):

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #176
Well, things move slowly. I've been able to do 4 datalogs. However, it's tough to find truly flat places around here. On ramps are the best option. I'm going to do some better datalog management and make sure that Randy is getting apples-to-apples comparisons between calibration data logs (just a matter of tracking them and labeling them intelligently).

Anyway. that tuning is chugging along. Car is otherwise basically set now to go to a track day for some testing.

Since this is turning into kind of my Fiesta blog, I'll post a picture of my car's new stable mate:

That replaces my 2004 Audi S4 Avant daily driver.

The new car is a fun car to drive (and fast), but my Fiesta will continue to be the primary track car. It is prepped to withstand some lapping stresses (meaning temperatures). Not going to do that with the RS.

Next spring, I'll probably do pads, brake lines, and high performance brake fluid. There are a couple of other items, but I want to make sure that whatever happens does not void the warranty. The Fiesta is off warranty (I made the mistake of purchasing an extended one because I had such good luck with the Audi aftermarket warranty). Otherwise: There's probably a winter wheel setup coming that might wind up being my everyday setup (which means more like all-weather tires than studless snow tires). I'll think about maybe one event a year once the car is broken in.

A few initial thoughts follow.

I'll say this about the two cars. They are totally different driving experiences. I think the RS will be a rocket on the track and feels so stable. The FiST is a hoot to drive. It is so responsive that it is a little twitchy in high speed maneuvers. I found the Focus ST we drove at the STOA to be incredibly stable at speed. It was confidence inspiring. From what I've read and seen on YouTube, the RS will not disappoint in the area of handling on the track.

And: Being familiar with VERY stiff cars, I find the RS to be very well-behaved (especially in "normal" mode).

My only complaint is an insanely wide turning circle. Apparently, it's 3 feet wider than an EVO's minimum turning radius.

Just read the whole thread - Great build! Almost exactly what I'm going for. Definitely in to see where this goes. What are you using for data capture (might have missed it in the thread)?

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #178
Just read the whole thread - Great build! Almost exactly what I'm going for. Definitely in to see where this goes. What are you using for data capture (might have missed it in the thread)?
Hello!

Sorry for the delay. I use the CMS Lap Timer. You can find info about it here: http://www.stoppani.net

The tool itself works on iOS and Android phones, but the "analysis" app works only on Macs.

A track-day buddy uses Harry's Lap Timer and likes it a lot. I think there's a little more integration to external video and ways to leverage capture of datalogging data via OBDII port dongle attachment using that. Not sure. It provides more than I care to worry about at the track. I'm happy just to acquire a satellite connection via my Emprum GPS and capture video integrated to some real-time data. I use an 32GB Ipod for my lap capture. Resolution sucks, but it's what I use.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #179
I like the MRX tune fine. It's well mannered around town. It takes advantage of a somewhat bigger turbo, so there is a lag when asking for WOT acceleration under 3000 RPM. Pulls like a champ over 3500 RPM or so. However, I've just been doing on-ramp datalogs so I cannot speak to actual HP/TQ numbers. I'm too lazy to chase around and try to plug the datalog numbers into a virtual dyno app. I'll just go the local dyno.

The tuner I'm working with suggested that I'm basically done doing WOT runs with the boost being were it should be (peak boost being about 27 psi). He indicated that doing a dyno at this point to benchmark the tune is not going to be very informative since we did not take a meaningful benchmark dyno on the initial post OTS slot 2 tune. I did not really understand that comment. I won't be able to capture the delta correctly, but I could capture the state of the tune now. No matter, the tune is pretty strong. The AF ratio (sitting right at 12 throughout the WOT pull) and airflow rate (26 to 28 lbs/min) are pretty consistent once the boost kicks in all the way to rev limit.

Since my datalogs were taken on local on-ramps, that were not perfectly level, it's tough to assess actual output results in terms of HP/TQ values. The two runs (on different ramps) netted values that were 40 points different by the tuner's analysis (goes to the issue of slight incline vs. slight slope).

In any event, I'll be headed for a couple of 1/2 day events in August to see how the car does. I've been to both tracks with this car and I'm interested to see how this car performs in comparison. I'm sure it will be faster than the MR230 setup, but seriously, a few seconds is what I'm expecting. Faster acceleration and more top end will benefit me I'm sure. Won't make much difference in the turns.

Regarding the MRX thread: I got slapped down by one of the posters for commenting on a question about low-speed behavior or something. I cleaned that thread of all my comments and bailed the conversation. I don't know enough to contribute technically and I kinda don't give a @$%s at this point, mostly when folks get all up in my grill for no @%*#ing reason they can pretty much go @%@ themselves. No need here to defend anything I say. It's almost all just opinion since really, I am not a data scientist.

I'll keep my comments here and haters can stick to their own mud wrestling rings.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I like the MRX tune fine. It's well mannered around town. It takes advantage of a somewhat bigger turbo, so there is a lag when asking for WOT acceleration under 3000 RPM. Pulls like a champ over 3500 RPM or so. However, I've just been doing on-ramp datalogs so I cannot speak to actual HP/TQ numbers. I'm too lazy to chase around and try to plug the datalog numbers into a virtual dyno app. I'll just go the local dyno.

The tuner I'm working with suggested that I'm basically done doing WOT runs with the boost being were it should be (peak boost being about 27 psi). He indicated that doing a dyno at this point to benchmark the tune is not going to be very informative since we did not take a meaningful benchmark dyno on the initial post OTS slot 2 tune. I did not really understand that comment. I won't be able to capture the delta correctly, but I could capture the state of the tune now. No matter, the tune is pretty strong. The AF ratio (sitting right at 12 throughout the WOT pull) and airflow rate (26 to 28 lbs/min) are pretty consistent once the boost kicks in all the way to rev limit.

Since my datalogs were taken on local on-ramps, that were not perfectly level, it's tough to assess actual output results in terms of HP/TQ values. The two runs (on different ramps) netted values that were 40 points different by the tuner's analysis (goes to the issue of slight incline vs. slight slope).

In any event, I'll be headed for a couple of 1/2 day events in August to see how the car does. I've been to both tracks with this car and I'm interested to see how this car performs in comparison. I'm sure it will be faster than the MR230 setup, but seriously, a few seconds is what I'm expecting. Faster acceleration and more top end will benefit me I'm sure. Won't make much difference in the turns.

Regarding the MRX thread: I got slapped down by one of the posters for commenting on a question about low-speed behavior or something. I cleaned that thread of all my comments and bailed the conversation. I don't know enough to contribute technically and I kinda don't give a @$%s at this point, mostly when folks get all up in my grill for no @%*#ing reason they can pretty much go @%@ themselves. No need here to defend anything I say. It's almost all just opinion since really, I am not a data scientist.

I'll keep my comments here and haters can stick to their own mud wrestling rings.
Totally you understand that on the MRX thread - it's not real friendly over there and has turned more into a beer guzzling contest at this point. I respect you man, you're doing your thing and doing it well. I've noticed the same shenanigans ever since I joined this forum and been on the tail end of some of that same type of talk. It's just insecurity. Glad you are happy in any case.

FWIW, to your current vs. delta observation, I did vDynos of all my tunes (Puma X47 installed 3 weeks ago) and saw about a 40hp difference between first and last tune revision. I did some pulls on slight decline on interstate on-ramp and that made the difference 60hp from the beginning. When the weather cools I'm getting a real dyno done to see where we are truly at.

How is traction in 2nd gear at WOT? Does the fact that the turbo spools a bit later eliminate traction issues? Or are you using traction control?

Ford Community Posts