Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TD 17x8 38mm offset tire size?

SFP

Guys I got my TD 17x8 38 offset in and mounted with the stock 205 40 17. I am going to be putting Cobb Sport Springs on it soon and know that the 205 will fit fine but am worried about a 215 40 17....anyone running that combo?

PCA-1

Best option for springs is COBB. 215's are .31" taller than the 205/40's. Doing the math, the ST is dropped .8" from the factory, + 8" COBB spring drop, + .31" (IIRC)tire height = ~ 2" total drop. This is going to be very close. Springs will either drop too much, or not enough. The COBB springs are more friendly with this set up, but a 2" drop is right at that margin. Coilovers, like those from ST, are very friendly starting out at a .2" initial drop up front for a 1.31" starting drop w/215/40's.

OP
SFP

SFP

Thread Starter #4
PCA-1 Thanks for that and the wheels! I have actually be back and forth about it now and started putting money aside for some BC coilovers with all the extras. I think this will be my best bet to get it just right and enhance the ride a bit in the process. Now for the process of a good all around tire that can handle some pretty aggressive driving and still handle long trips from OH to FL.

LT Berzerker

I'll be running 215/40r17 when the factory tires are burnt out. Been considering 225/35, but that is actually smaller in height than the stock size. So I'll be going with nitto neogens, fallen 615's or direzza's... Decisions :(

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Guys I got my TD 17x8 38 offset in and mounted with the stock 205 40 17. I am going to be putting Cobb Sport Springs on it soon and know that the 205 will fit fine but am worried about a 215 40 17....anyone running that combo?
You need to figure out what your actual tire specs are because 215/40's vary greatly in width/height from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within different models from the same manufacturer. Given your offset and intended drop, some 215's might fit fine and others definitely won't.

There's not much fitment information in the FiST community, so hopefully you keep us abreast of your findings one everything is installed and you've put a decent amount of mileage on them.

LT Berzerker

^definitely! Though I've seen someone... Think kenshinx84 iirc who was running 17x8 +35 with 215/40 but at stock height...

Someone else, can't remember was rolling 235/40 on +38... Again stock suspension.

Biggest thing is getting the rear to fit, with camber bolts or coils & if youre willing to run more camber you'll have quite a bit to work with up front.

With our torsion rear camber in the rear is hard to come by without plates or cutting and rewelding the tb for more angle.

LT Berzerker

Another question is what are youre building your car for... Drag or track... Depending you'll want to consider your contact patch...

++++++ (wider tire) better for lateral traction

+++
+++ (narrower with more sidewall) better straight line traction.

Contact patch square area is identical (same # of +'s), just tailored to lateral vs longitudinal traction.

Not like it's going to make a huge change due to the limited sizes we can fit on the FiST.

Either way your better off with the 8" wide wheel because a. Its lighter then stock, b. You gain sidewall rigidity over 7" wheels (doesn't allow the sidewall to flex as much) increased response & turn in :)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Another tire option for those needing very good all season tires, Mich PS AS/3 and it would work quite well on an 8" rim in 205/45/17 as it is a wide 205 and looks a bit to wide on a 7" wheel, 7.5 would be optimal but 8" just fine I am sure.

(note on the PS AS/3, it is really a 3 season tire as not that great in the snow but it is a very good summer performance tire that is good in the rain, cold, etc. where a pure summer tire can be less than optimal.)

You cannot always go just by the numbers on a tire, look up the actual specs as sometimes they are not what it would seem.