Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wastegate Actuator Rod Adjustment

In a nutshell:

Had downpipe replaced at exhaust shop.
Turbo had to be removed to remove seized bolt on factory downpipe.
The guy is quite sure he got everything put back together the way it was before he touched it (specifically the wastegate actuator rod).

I know I'm feeling less back-pressure because of the catless downpipe but, it also seems the boost isn't building as hard/quick as it used to.
Am I psyching myself out and it's just the reduced back-pressure or might I actually be having an issue?
How can I verify my wastegate actuator rod is adjusted where it needs to be?
Any and all help is appreciated.

PS I can't use my AP to check boost pressure because I have a GPS tracking device on my car for theft that interferes with the AP and using it for gauges.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Is your GPS tracking device plugged into your OBDII port? You can pull it and then plug it back in. I have a GPS tracker, but it is not connected to my OBDII port. It was installed by my dealer and has never created any problems with my Accessport. That is unusual. Any way you can pull the GPS? Have you tried a Wifi plug and software to monitor your boost?. A hard connection with a gauge will also work. If the gauges don't work, can you still install tunes and datalog?

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #3
It's not plugged into the OBDII port. I have no idea where it's physically installed. I haven't purchased a wifi dongle yet but will be doing so soon.

I can still install tunes. Can't datalog though for the same reason I can't do gauges on the AP. The screen just flickers on and off.....

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
GPS interferring with the Accessport does not make sense. Maybe you can send your Accessport to Cobb or whereever you purchased it to make sure its working properly. I would send the attachment cable with it.

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #5
That's what I thought at first too. When I had the GPS tracker installed, I flashed ECU to stock and removed AP from car. When I go the car back after GPS install, I could reload the Stage 2 map but the gauge and datalogging feature wouldn't work anymore. Like I said in a previous post, the screen flashes on and off and the gears turning picture is displayed while the display is flashing.

Not sure what could have happened to my AP that would have caused that.

I contacted Cobb about it and got a pretty shitty response from them that I'm still sour about.....

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Your mechanic may have mis-adjusted your WG actuator rod. You'll need to measure boost and WGDC. That's gonna be hard without being able to datalog.

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #7
Wgdc? And yeah, need to figure out my AP. I think I found out what to do.

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #10
Assuming I can get my AP to communicate with my car again, what should my WGDC be?

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #11
Also, if my wastegate is a bit off, should I avoid driving my car?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Also, if my wastegate is a bit off, should I avoid driving my car?
No.
Aside from ignition timing corrections; the car also has PID's that will adjust electronically to give you the boost your supposed to be running. And even bigger than that, if you run too much, the throttle will close. If its too loose then you'll just have lag like you described.

I think the spec for wastegate adjustment from the factory is 2mm. 5mm would prob be better ( 5mm of threads sticking out of the last nut on the rod ).

Being the stock WG is only 5psi, its designed to be pushed open by exhaust pressure before things get too high anyway. With OTS cobb tunes, its not really an issue. Maybe just give the nuts 3 full 360turns tighter and see if it feels better.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Maybe Im wrong about the 2-5mm spec, lol. Don't quote me on that. Unless your pro-tuned, its gonna be hard to be "too tight" though.

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #14
I'm running the Cobb OTS Stage 3 tune. After getting the downpipe installed and flashing to the Stage 3 tune, it felt like I lost some boost, as I mentioned. This seems especially true after being told my wastegate might be out of adjustment.

For the 2-5mm are you referring to were I'm indicating in the picture I drew?

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #19
So 2-5mm of threads showing and I should be good then. Thanks a lot for the pics!!

OP
timmytoast
Thread Starter #20
Sourskittle, can you post a pic of the lines for the control solenoid so I can make sure they're routed properly? Thanks!