Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.8%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters

RMG

I believe it's the YH1896 motorcraft part. The cheap one. Mine will be arriving today after I installed the YH1895, which was ~$20 and not the right one for the drivers side (looks identical but only had two prongs instead of five).
If you can, please compare the one you remove to the new Motorcraft part and let us know. Thanks!

My receipt says "BE8Z*19E616*B Motor Asy" for the part they replaced.

So, there is that...

And the part that was removed was basically the same as what went in.

RMG

My receipt says "BE8Z*19E616*B Motor Asy" for the part they replaced.

So, there is that...

And the part that was removed was basically the same as what went in.
A quick search came up with this http://www.burkeautoparts.com/oem-parts/ford-adjust-motor-be8z19e616b/?c=Zz1yZWRpcmVjdCZzPXJlZGlyZWN0JmE9Zm9yZCZvPWZpZXN0YSZ5PTIwMTQmdD10aXRhbml1bSZlPTEtNmwtbDQtZ2Fz

an $11.00 part...perhaps a part inside the actual 'motor/actuator'?

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I think this just happened to me for the first time today, heard a loud click noise from behind the dash. Does that mean that I'll probably have this problem?

If so, I'll probably buy the part myself and change it out if it's $12 like stated above, I'm very selective about who I have work on my cars.

EDIT: $7 from Tasca, is there any difference between the part Ford sells and the one that the service bulletin calls for?
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/be8z19e616b

RMG

I think this just happened to me for the first time today, heard a loud click noise from behind the dash. Does that mean that I'll probably have this problem?

If so, I'll probably buy the part myself and change it out if it's $12 like stated above, I'm very selective about who I have work on my cars.

EDIT: $7 from Tasca, is there any difference between the part Ford sells and the one that the service bulletin calls for?
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/be8z19e616b

Yes it will start getting worse (at least thats what mine did), please note that the one you linked states "without auto AC". if i'm not mistaken, our cars have the auto feature so this part isn't 100% compatible. Somewhere earlier in this thread someone installed the wrong one, and is saying they cant control a few HVAC features now. That is my question (what IS the right one). [dunno]

Motorcraft YH1896 appears to be the right part. It's the correct size and has 5 prongs for the power connection. My schedule hasn't allowed me to swap it out yet but I'm optimistic. It was $6 on Rock Auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the dealer charged me $12.00, so not bad. Getting to the broken actuator is the PITA...

It was the entire part, which itself is small and completely contained. The tech showed me my broken one. We popped it open to see the failure inside. The motor is inside the part, with a worm gear that turns two other gears to get the actuator arm. The part it self is not very big. The plastic gears sheer teeth off because of how small the teeth actually are. My bill was pretty much labor. And the tech's arm was all scratched up, and he is a skinny dude. The best part is, the tech is an FoST driver and is big in the local ST community here, so I was good with him doing the work.

Here is a video on YouTube talking about the issues with the Ford actuators. The video is not exactly the one in the Fiesta, which is about the size of your palm, but the explanation and how it is put together is the same.

I can 100% confirm the Motorcraft YH1896 is the correct part. I just installed it and it works. It has "AE8H-19E616-BC" printed on it if that's relevant.

Here's a comparison between the OEM part and the Motorcraft YH1895 that I accidentally ordered (the wrong part, order the YH1896).

As you can see, the difference is a small circuit board and the motor. The plastic gears are the same.

Below that, I took a closeup of the source of all my misery. One stupid broken plastic tooth.

Anyone in western PA area willing to help me out with the install?
I'm willing to discuss some kind of compensation as well!
Just don't want to go to the stealership.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Did ford ever upgrade this part or the part# ? Or are we still just replacing a junk part with a junk part?

Yea, the white plastic have a blueish tint on the new ones. Don't know if it's stronger than the old ones but it's definitely different.

The replacement Motorcraft part I got was manufactured in 2016 but looked identical on the outside to the broken one I pulled out. It's possible the internals were tweaked, but for $6 I don't really care. If it goes bad after another two years I'll just replace it again since it's a pretty straightforward install once you've done it a couple times.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If someone manufactured and sold a strengthened gear set replacement kit on this forum, they'd probably clean-up. Unfortunately, making a reliable gear is more simplistic than it sounds, as many types of metals and certain types of plastics will experience issues with friction/lubrication.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The replacement Motorcraft part I got was manufactured in 2016 but looked identical on the outside to the broken one I pulled out. It's possible the internals were tweaked, but for $6 I don't really care. If it goes bad after another two years I'll just replace it again since it's a pretty straightforward install once you've done it a couple times.
There are at least 90 other things I would rather be doing and at least 120 other things I should be doing vs repeatedly and annoyingly repairing something like this. I don't care if the part costs $90, just get it right so folks don't have to worry about doing it again... and again.... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again...

There are at least 90 other things I would rather be doing and at least 120 other things I should be doing vs repeatedly and annoyingly repairing something like this. I don't care if the part costs $90, just get it right so folks don't have to worry about doing it again... and again.... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again...
Yeah, I understand. Like I said, I didn't look at the internals of the new part so I don't know if they improved the design or not. For now, my blend door is silent again and I'm happy.