Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.1%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters
Of all the goodies, I would gladly trade the auto climate for a manual, just seems to be a hindrance more than help.
I do miss the dials on my Focus.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Good concept, poorly implemented. First thing it does is blow at 100%, blasting cold air in your face, after which it's able to sense the temperature, then throttles down and changes the vents to your settings. If that was a human operating the controls you'd either think they were trying to be funny or are just inconsiderate/rude. The vents also move unnecessarily when the system is off.

Also, 85F is too cold. Hi can be too hot. So I either have to crack the windows on high or bounce back and forth between the settings.

Adding myself to the list of unhappy victims of Ford's poorly engineered product. Started clicking for me yesterday with 37,xxx on the clock of my 2014. Looks like I'll be ordering from Rockauto because I refuse to pay over $200 in labor to install a $7 part. Strongly considering paying the Fiesta off and ditching Ford ASAP. This car is a squeak box already and I'm not looking forward to more out-of-warranty repairs that are sure to come. I'm too old to fix things I had no hand in breaking :).

Rant over.

Mine didn't have this issue. Took car to the dealer for SSM-45658 (heater temperature not being controlled correctly/proportionately, see my post in a different thread below), that was fixed but then the modes don't work right. That was Thursday night, it's now Monday and I still have no car. Less than pleased.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...l-Heater-Issue?p=195240&viewfull=1#post195240
Couldn't be much more displeased right now. Had my car at the dealership all day for them to fix this issue, after explaining to them the problem more than three times (one over phone when I made the appointment, once when I dropped it off, and once again over the phone today when they couldn't replicated it by saying "when does it not blow hot? It's on max right now and hotter than hell in there") and trying to tell them about the SSM, they finally looked up the SSM and I guess installed the flash or whatever. Went to go pick the car up, after they fixed it and verified it was fixed supposedly. Drove off, tested it, and sure enough now the controls don't work correctly. When no setting for where the air blows (dash, feet, defrost) is selected, it's the only time it blows out of the dash. When I press any of the other three of those settings, it will only blow out of the defrost. For some reason, when I set it to max temperature it turns the A/C on? And they can't do anything about it for a week, even though it's more screwed up now than when I dropped it off.

And to top it off, they "washed" it for me. They sprayed off my car which was detailed prior to going in and it is shitty looking with water spots all over it. Thanks a lot.

Rant complete...anyone else have similar issues?

OP
B
Thread Starter #167
Quick question. How many of these blend doors does the Fiesta ST have?

Reason for the question: Mine failed once at 25,000 (I think) and has now failed again at 33,000 but just out of 36 month warranty. Dealership said it would $100 to diagnose and then some amount to fix UNLESS it is the same blend door they fixed the first time (then it would be covered). He said the car has multiple blend doors and the only way to know which one was to look around.

EDIT: Looks like 3 darn:

http://www.midwestpartsdepot.com/au...-trim/1-6l-l4-gas-engine/hvac-cat/heater-scat

I have a 2014 FiST with 43k miles, blend door starting clicking 2 or 3k miles ago. I've been lazy about fixing it since the AC still works fine, it just makes that annoying clicking noise when I start the car or change the temperature settings. I ordered the "MOTORCRAFT YH1895" from Rock Auto since that's apparently the correct replacement part (stated earlier in the thread), will update once I receive and install it.

A small write up on changing that bad boy out would help me greatly. I have the same problem and would rather fix it myself as well, but haven't found a good "how to" on it yet. My only concern is the knee airbag that I read had to be removed to get to the part.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
A small write up on changing that bad boy out would help me greatly. I have the same problem and would rather fix it myself as well, but haven't found a good "how to" on it yet. My only concern is the knee airbag that I read had to be removed to get to the part.
Its here in this thread...you just have to use 'search'

Replacing the Blend Door Actuator is fairly straight forward and took me less than an hour to replace...

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...center-console?p=136643&viewfull=1#post136643

I've seriously Googled it till I was brain dead, but never searched this forum as I just joined a few days ago. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. (Internet high-five!)

Thanks all for the detailed posts. Just did this on my '14 with ~40k last week. Took about 3 hours, that one bolt is a bastard.

So I just replaced my actuator and now it only wants to blow through my defrost, no vents, no matter what I try. Any ideas??

Bump, I've tried disconnecting the battery, and pulling the climate control fuse and still no luck. Do I need to reset it somehow or did I just get another broken one??

If you set it to bent, does it still only blow through defroster?

Bump, I've tried disconnecting the battery, and pulling the climate control fuse and still no luck. Do I need to reset it somehow or did I just get another broken one??

If you set it to bent, does it still only blow through defroster?
Yea, no matter what I set it to, it stays on defrost. I made sure there wasn't anything binding the vents before installing and made sure the gear was aligned prorerly.