Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Running FiST with E85 Blends - Discussion Thread

Rhinopolis

So how does the e85 calculator work and what numbers are you looking for when calculating?
Is there a specific calculator that you are using, or any ethanol calculator in general? I use the one below.

http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

1. Utilize the "Octane results from blending 2 fuels" calculator

2. I use this to gauge the ethanol content of the E85 before I do my calculations

https://www.amazon.com/E-85-Fuel-Sa...?srs=8413387011&ie=UTF8&qid=1475751968&sr=8-1

3. After I know the percentage of ethanol in the E85, I enter the data in to the calculator and assume 5% ethanol in the gasoline on the low side, and then the maximum 10% on the high side. I try to work my formula for E30 out to E32 on the low side, and no greater than E39 on the high side.

4. After I mix the fuels, I monitor STFT and LTFT for 10 miles or so and see what my mix has come out to. As close to 0% deviation and no more than + 5% deviation is what I aim for in my mix.

PS: Before I start blending and so that I know how many gallons of fuel to blend, I utilize the Cobb AP and monitor for percentage of fuel remaining.

We have a 12.4 gallon tank, and let's say that the percentage remaining is 26.4%. 100 - 26.4 equals 73.6. I multiply 12.4 by .736 to know that I need to mix roughly 9 gallons of fuel.

LILIKE16ST

Is there a specific calculator that you are using, or any ethanol calculator in general? I use the one below.

http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

1. Utilize the "Octane results from blending 2 fuels" calculator

2. I use this to gauge the ethanol content of the E85 before I do my calculations

https://www.amazon.com/E-85-Fuel-Sa...?srs=8413387011&ie=UTF8&qid=1475751968&sr=8-1

3. After I know the percentage of ethanol in the E85, I enter the data in to the calculator and assume 5% ethanol in the gasoline on the low side, and then the maximum 10% on the high side. I try to work my formula for E30 out to E32 on the low side, and no greater than E39 on the high side.

4. After I mix the fuels, I monitor STFT and LTFT for 10 miles or so and see what my mix has come out to. As close to 0% deviation and no more than + 5% deviation is what I aim for in my mix.

PS: Before I start blending and so that I know how many gallons of fuel to blend, I utilize the Cobb AP and monitor for percentage of fuel remaining.

We have a 12.4 gallon tank, and let's say that the percentage remaining is 26.4%. 100 - 26.4 equals 73.6. I multiply 12.4 by .736 to know that I need to mix roughly 9 gallons of fuel.
Dude that is so awesome thanks for this info very helpful. I am currently running a livernois motorsports 93 pump gas tune and it's solid I really like it power is very good and strong great mpg and drivability is as good or better than stock. However I am strongly considering selling my mycal device and purchasing an accessport and more than likely contacting adam at tune + for the lifetime tune mainly so I can datalog and get an e30 pro tune from him. The nearest station to me is probably 40 miles away...but I would probably get at least 5 different 5 galon jugs to fill up to do me for 1-2 months at a time and with the info you just provided mixing the proper amount would be peachy keen :) Strongly considering this. As much as I love my tune I've always wanted to see what e30 was all about and it'd be cool to have the datalogging as well as vdyno and all the gauges to play with. This car sucks as far as gauges there need to be more to monitor stuff better and the accessport provides that. I never expected to even consider an e30 tune few months back but now I'm strongly considering it as it seems a little more probable and easier than I had originally thought and expected thanks to people like yourself providing good and helpful info!

Just a question...lets say hypothetically I have the 2jr intake i plan to get along with a depo racing catless dp and depo racing front mount intercooler and charge pipes (due here tomarrow actually) straight piped stock catback and an e30 pro tune through tune + on stock turbo is say 230 whp and 300 wtq attainable on a dyno jet with similar mods? I know all cars are different locations are different dynos are different but hypothetically with those mods on your average dynojet in your oppinion with your experience with ethanol and the FiST would you think that would be a realistic goal? I'd like to do at least 220 and 300 but 230 would be great! I think this car would move out decent coming in at right around 2600 as it sits....thanks
Michael

Rhinopolis

Dude that is so awesome thanks for this info very helpful. I am currently running a livernois motorsports 93 pump gas tune and it's solid I really like it power is very good and strong great mpg and drivability is as good or better than stock. However I am strongly considering selling my mycal device and purchasing an accessport and more than likely contacting adam at tune + for the lifetime tune mainly so I can datalog and get an e30 pro tune from him. The nearest station to me is probably 40 miles away...but I would probably get at least 5 different 5 galon jugs to fill up to do me for 1-2 months at a time and with the info you just provided mixing the proper amount would be peachy keen :) Strongly considering this. As much as I love my tune I've always wanted to see what e30 was all about and it'd be cool to have the datalogging as well as vdyno and all the gauges to play with. This car sucks as far as gauges there need to be more to monitor stuff better and the accessport provides that. I never expected to even consider an e30 tune few months back but now I'm strongly considering it as it seems a little more probable and easier than I had originally thought and expected thanks to people like yourself providing good and helpful info!

Just a question...lets say hypothetically I have the 2jr intake i plan to get along with a depo racing catless dp and depo racing front mount intercooler and charge pipes (due here tomarrow actually) straight piped stock catback and an e30 pro tune through tune + on stock turbo is say 230 whp and 300 wtq attainable on a dyno jet with similar mods? I know all cars are different locations are different dynos are different but hypothetically with those mods on your average dynojet in your oppinion with your experience with ethanol and the FiST would you think that would be a realistic goal? I'd like to do at least 220 and 300 but 230 would be great! I think this car would move out decent coming in at right around 2600 as it sits....thanks
Michael
I'm glad that the info was helpful, and the most that I ever achieved via E30 on stock turbo and through Virtual Dyno, was 221 peak whp and roughly 276 lbs peak wtrq. I installed the Pumaspeed X37 with a catted DP this past June, and on E30 and via Virtual Dyno I gained over 50 whp once I passed 5k rpms, and although my peak trq only gained 5 lb ft, my trq curve remained flat and held steady long after the stock turbo had given up. No matter stock turbo or uprated turbo, E30 yields enough of difference to make it worth it in my eyes.

FYI - Read the "Broke Down" thread that I posted in troubleshooting. I speculate that E30 might have had something to do with it, and I'm talking with Adam and waiting for him to respond back to me. If you do utilize E30, don't let it sit in your tank for too long, and run a tank of straight gas every so often to flush things out.

Rhinopolis

I'm glad that the info was helpful, and the most that I ever achieved via E30 on stock turbo and through Virtual Dyno, was 221 peak whp and roughly 276 lbs peak wtrq. I installed the Pumaspeed X37 with a catted DP this past June, and on E30 and via Virtual Dyno I gained over 50 whp once I passed 5k rpms, and although my peak trq only gained 5 lb ft, my trq curve remained flat and held steady long after the stock turbo had given up. No matter stock turbo or uprated turbo, E30 yields enough of difference to make it worth it in my eyes.

FYI - Read the "Broke Down" thread that I posted in troubleshooting. I speculate that E30 might have had something to do with it, and I'm talking with Adam and waiting for him to respond back to me. If you do utilize E30, don't let it sit in your tank for too long, and run a tank of straight gas every so often to flush things out.
[MENTION=4772]LILIKE16ST[/MENTION] - Not a plug and I just like sharing info. I have a shitty YouTube channel that I only created so that people could see what the X37 brought to the FiST. The videos aren't fancy at all, but you might be able to see what E30 and an uprated turbo can offer to the FiST.

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=Mr. Rhinopolis&sm=3

LILIKE16ST

[MENTION=4772]LILIKE16ST[/MENTION] - Not a plug and I just like sharing info. I have a shitty YouTube channel that I only created so that people could see what the X37 brought to the FiST. The videos aren't fancy at all, but you might be able to see what E30 and an uprated turbo can offer to the FiST.

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=Mr. Rhinopolis&sm=3
Oh I've looked alot into the x37 and I gave seen your cideos it is very impressive what a stock housing turbo is capable of for sure. Sucks adam quit selling them now one has to go through puma speed direct which may or may not be difficult I've heard mixed reviews on that. X37 is one of the best bang for your buck mods for this car no doubt. I also love that it keeps the low and mid range and overall personality of the car in tact. For sure something I am interested in for the future. My depo racing FMIC and charge pipes are waiting on me at home as we speak for when I get off work....very excited :)

LILIKE16ST

It won't be sitting in my tank long I drive the car daily. I'm sure I would run straight 93 every once in awhile for longer trips and stuff jus for the mpg. I just wanna see ebat all the fuss is about with ethanol :)

AzNightmare

Wait until gas light comes on. Fill 4 gallons e85, rest 93.
Why 4 gallons?
Don't you only fill up 3 gallons / tank (according to Stratified)?

If you currently have a mixture of E30 blend and you fill up an extra 4 gallons, won't you definitely have too much ethanol in the tank?

My E85 calculator says you need 3.31 gallons to get to E30 with 12.4 gallons.

3 gallons would 28-29?

Assuming 85% ethanol is dead on. If this is incorrect let me know.

With LTFT and STFT what is the correct numbers to looks for? What's dangerous?

My E85 calculator says you need 3.31 gallons to get to E30 with 12.4 gallons.

3 gallons would 28-29?

Assuming 85% ethanol is dead on. If this is incorrect let me know.

With LTFT and STFT what is the correct numbers to looks for? What's dangerous?
Just remember on your next fill up that if you have say 2 gallons left in the tank (60) miles until empty for example) that those 2 gallons are e85. Then you have 10 gallons of room left, so take that into account per fill up. That's why an ethanol reader and multiple times is useful.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

LILIKE16ST

Why 4 gallons?
Don't you only fill up 3 gallons / tank (according to Stratified)?

If you currently have a mixture of E30 blend and you fill up an extra 4 gallons, won't you definitely have too much ethanol in the tank?
Tank is 12.4 gallons in beleive and 30% of that comes out to 3.74 I beleive he's saying 4 just to be on the safe side (better to be tuned for e30 running e32 than e25 or something in other words it's better to have a little too much than not enough). True if you're already mixed with e30 it would raise this slightly but if you ran the tank down fairly low (I'd go beyond the gas light as the car still has a couple gallons in it at that point) I don't think there would be issues. Maybe someone's with more knowledge can chime in. I'd probably just use the accessport and the things people have mentioned to figure it out exact every time and go slightly over just to be safe but that's just me.

LILIKE16ST

I did it on a calculator and came out that 3.74 gallons is 30% of 12.4 but that isn't figuring in the fact that the 93 usually is e10 to begin with. I think this would be an ok number to run as long as you run the tank down fairly low as in beyond the gas light which some don't want to do. It might come out a little over but I don't think it would be by much and it's certainly better to have it be a little over than under.

AzNightmare

In my area, my 94 contains no ethanol. The Fuel is actually advertised as 94 but it isn't really all that great tbh.
So I guess 4 L would be perfect?

I usually fill up when my tank says about 30mi to E

Which calculator app are you guys using?

LILIKE16ST

In my area, my 94 contains no ethanol. The Fuel is actually advertised as 94 but it isn't really all that great tbh.
So I guess 4 L would be perfect?

I usually fill up when my tank says about 30mi to E

Which calculator app are you guys using?

The tank is 12.4 gallons far as I know.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I did it on a calculator and came out that 3.74 gallons is 30% of 12.4 but that isn't figuring in the fact that the 93 usually is e10 to begin with. I think this would be an ok number to run as long as you run the tank down fairly low as in beyond the gas light which some don't want to do. It might come out a little over but I don't think it would be by much and it's certainly better to have it be a little over than under.
I have not read through all 12 pages of this thread, so sorry IF this point was addressed in this (or in another) thread, but DOES the bolded above come into play with the calculations (if one does not have an ethanol content gauge installed), or is it taken for granted that most 93s do NOT contain anywhere near the full 10% of ethanol they claim?? [dunno]

Also, just how high an ethanol percentage does it take to be in a 'danger zone' of running way too lean IF one is not actually tuned specifically for E30 (i.e.; on the dead stock FACTORY tune)? [???:)]

I know that razorlab runs E25 on the factory tune with seemingly NO problems at all, and minimal corrections, but is this OK long term???

I'm finally getting E30 5 mins down the street from my house so I know I'll try the corn magic. As far as the practicality is there any other gauges to buy that are cheaper?

Just a heads up E30 is usually mixed with 87 so it will be lower octane than compared to mixing e85 and 91 or 93

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just a heads up E30 is usually mixed with 87 so it will be lower octane than compared to mixing e85 and 91 or 93
True, and I am going to guess that the 15% petroleum in E85 is also 87 octane, unless otherwise specified on the pump, or labelled as racing fuel, correct? [dunno]

(The station I use for E85, also has one pump with E98 RACING, for which they are asking about 100 octane unleaded prices to purchase.)

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
e85 is mixed with 87 octane gas. This is always done unless the pump says otherwise. I recommend using a ethanol gauge and sensor with periodic checking of the ethanol level at the places where you get your e85. A holly test tube ethanol percent kit is a good addition to the e30 toolbox. Most good app ethanol calculators take into account the percentage of ethanol in the tank and in super unleaded gas and in the e85 blend.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Right but with e85 only 15% of the gas in the tank would be 87 octane where as if you use the e30 70% would be 87 octane you get higher octane out of mixing your own.