Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Running FiST with E85 Blends - Discussion Thread

LILIKE16ST

Having an ethanol blend in the tank with a 93 tune should not have any negative effects I've heard of some adding in some ethanol to slightly raise the octane to get rid of knock or what have you. Think of it this way....you'll be 97-98 octane if mixed with 93...will that octane hurt you if you're on a 93 tune? Nope but you won't be able to reap the benefits of having said octane but as far as it causing problems the answer would be no. Better to be running higher octane than you're tuned for that lower...never run lower octane than you're tuned for

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Not sure if it helps but this PDF https://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/publication/ethanol_handbook.pdf tells you the type of classes your state receives (It starts on page 35).

Class 1 = minimum 79% ethanol
Class 2 = minimum 74% ethanol
Class 3 = minimum 70% ethanol
Class 4 = minimum 59% ethanol

It does get quite annoying to use the ethanol tester and wait at the pump every fill up. So I guess we should test the e85 pumps on the months where your state changes class based on the PDF chart. So, if I decide to go back to 93 gas, I should switch back to the 93 map and not stay on the e30 map since the e30 map is aggressive right? Wouldn't e30 gas on a 93 tune have some sort of negative? Just trying to clarify a few things before I decide to go e30.
Just keep putting in the same mix as you always do. That goes for everyone, honestly. Unless your tuner tells you otherwise just keep running the same blend, year-round. There’s a built-in tolerance for the shifts in E85 pumps and every tuner should know this. I’ve been there, looking for when the blends change in which areas, etc etc... You’re talking about 5-10whp difference, if that, with blend changes. So unless your tuner says otherwise, save yourselves the stress and just keep mixing the same blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of us are running blends of E85, and thought it was interesting to come across this article of someone running straight E85.

http://www.masterenginetuner.com/2014-fiesta-st.html
I spent the better half of this morning looking over the tuning sections. Very helpful in connecting the Ford Confluence section on the Cobb Tuning Site as well.

LILIKE16ST

Nice to see Virginia never goes to class 4 so it's already 70% minimum here. We're class 3 from middle of November through middle of March but I starting using e30 couple months back in February and I tested the only 2 sheetz stations anywhere near me and they were both right on 85% and I tested both more than once to be sure. That was during class 3 month so it's good to know these stations must have some good e85. Now that we're moving into 2 and on to 1 probably no need to test anymore considering it was that high ittn class 3. I may check it again soon just to see if it's changed. It probably doesn't matter but I'm ocd about that stuff lol. Just like going slightly under e30 doesn't really matter but I always make sure I'm at e30 if not slightly above. I feel better knowing I've done all the small things to make sure my cars run at their best I'm just weird like that.

I just ordered the Stratified e30 tune along with AP V3. This is my first power mod, although I will probably start off running the the 91 map.

I’m in LA and I found an E85 pump less than a mile from home so I figured I’d go for it — “free” power and all.

According to that document CA varies a lot less than states that have a proper cold winter where they go down to class 4. It is always between class 1-2 here so I’m thinking I have to worry a lot less about the testing fuel. Maybe just once to be sure my station is getting high ethanol content?

LILIKE16ST

I just ordered the Stratified e30 tune along with AP V3. This is my first power mod, although I will probably start off running the the 91 map.

I’m in LA and I found an E85 pump less than a mile from home so I figured I’d go for it — “free” power and all.

According to that document CA varies a lot less than states that have a proper cold winter where they go down to class 4. It is always between class 1-2 here so I’m thinking I have to worry a lot less about the testing fuel. Maybe just once to be sure my station is getting high ethanol content?
You're going to love the tune. Smart choice going with that first as that is the most noticeable thing and by far the best bang for the buck mod on stock turbo. Any tune is let alone an e30 map. I would check it just to see what the content is so you know it can vary alot from place to place but in my experience it doesn't vary much season to season. I'm lucky in southwest VA because although we only have 2 e85 places anywhere remotely close to me (30 and 40 miles away respectivey) they both test crazy high. I tested 87% at one and 85% at the other during winter months...and I tested it out more than once at 90% during summer. Like I said I don't think it varies that much by season 5 or 10% here and there won't make a difference the tune will have adjustments built in to account for this. You don't wanna be running an e50 mix when it's supposed to be an e85 mix (which would make it be way less than e30). I would say anything between 25-35 is fine but you should speak with your tuner about that. If you can run e30 regularly without issue I would recommend doing so. Once you try both you probably won't want to come off the e30 map lol. It is like going from stock to a 91-93 tune when you go from a 91-93 tune up to an e30 tune. It's that noticeable. I would recommend a good intercooler...either whoosh or depo both are similar price both work very well in particular on stock turbo. Even with my x37 I'm in the process of having tuned it only rises like 7 degrees on a full 3rd gear pull. I'm running the depo but the whoosh is very similar. I would have went with a black whoosh cooler had they been available when I purchased mine in fall 16. Your car will be way more consistent with one and may even make slightly more max power over stock cooler once tuned in particular when the weather is hot. You make a good choice going with the e30 tune first...now make your next good choice by going with a good fmic. You can do intake for a little response and a few hp and a downpipe will give you power low where you don't need it and I've heard can even take away power up top where you do need it on stock turbo so I would suggest upgrading it once the turbo is upgraded like I did. Catback is only for sound preference...even on hybrids and big turbos they don't do much of anything for power. Good luck!

p.s. the whole mixing thing seems daunting at first but trust me once you do it a few times it becomes second nature and it isn't difficult at all. You'll even start to be able to know about how much you should add in e85 based on were your fuel gauge is after you get used to it that way you don't always have to fill up at empty. There are formulas you can do that help with this too trust me it's easy so don't let that sway you from running the e30 map

Set up: 2867r and 4 port aux fuel.

Questions: is there a benefit of running full E85 over lets say E50?

All is needed is a upgraded fuel pump? I haven’t seen of anyone attempting it. A upgraded pump plus the 4 port should be able to run it. Let me know what you guys think.

Set up: 2867r and 4 port aux fuel.

Questions: is there a benefit of running full E85 over lets say E50?

All is needed is a upgraded fuel pump? I haven’t seen of anyone attempting it. A upgraded pump plus the 4 port should be able to run it. Let me know what you guys think.
I don’t think you need a new pump and I don’t think anything over E50 showed any power gains or other benefits. 4 port should take care of fuel needs.

brbauer2

If you find an upgraded pump, let people know because one doesn't exist.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

IIRC it's the HPFP that is the limiter, not the LPFP

Even with an upgraded hpfp the stock injectors only squirt so much fuel. Trust me I looked into new injectors and different configurations and 4 port is the best solution if you need more fuel plus *bonus* clean valves [cheers]

brbauer2

Even with an upgraded hpfp the stock injectors only squirt so much fuel. Trust me I looked into new injectors and different configurations and 4 port is the best solution if you need more fuel plus *bonus* clean valves [cheers]
I know. Just saying that if it's out there, someone would have found a way by now to run full e85.

I think Dsport Project Fiesta ran it.
E85 gives a bunch of octane but not near the potential energy as gasoline and that’s why mpg goes out the window. Even if it was 200 octane, how much can timing be advanced? I want a 93/E40 tune to roll up on Typhoon. [gunfire]

Sorry for the controversy fellas. I was just curious about it. I have the 4 port in the car but need to wire it up. I wasn’t sure if there was any benefit of even attempting it. It would just be easier to fill up full E85 but if the returns aren’t worth the investment let me know.

I was told that all I would need is a higher flowing pump and it wouldn’t be expensive.