Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can you wire high beam as DRL?

I definetly ain't no electrician. Is it possible to wire the high beams as my DRLs? I have never previously done such a mod but have come across it for other vehicles.

edit: possibly through ecu dealer programming?

LT Berzerker

Why would you want you highbeam as a daytime running light?

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
Strictly for astetics. I want to run a led in there. I can't remember the last time I used the high beams ever and since my h9 conversion I don't for-see me ever remembering to use them.

Skimming through some other forums some have done this simply by jumping the headlight relays in the fuse box so e-brake down triggers high instead of low beam.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I believe you can do this in your wiring that plugs into your headlights, but I've never done that, so search google for the method. Here are the pin outs for the driver's side. The passenger side has different wire colors, but the locations on the plug are the same. This is how I would do it: You would need to run switched power (12V to the wire when the engine is on, or really when the start button is pressed) to the white lead going into the plug (4th pin from the left). I suggest running an in-line add-a-fuse, but Google may have an easier way to do this.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Glad you posted this as I am installing 38mm LED DRL's in the high beam location and had not worked it out yet.

I did not know about the e-brake down switch idea, I will have to research just what that is.

I also want to turn them off sometimes when the engine is running while working on the car, etc, I will have to wire a switch for that so doing as LTB has shown might be best for me.

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
Glad you posted this as I am installing 38mm LED DRL's in the high beam location and had not worked it out yet.

I did not know about the e-brake down switch idea, I will have to research just what that is.

I also want to turn them off sometimes when the engine is running while working on the car, etc, I will have to wire a switch for that so doing as LTB has shown might be best for me.
Currently oem the e-brake on turns your drl off and vice versa. I would like the high beams to work in the same manner but I am sure the low beams are controlled by the computer because I can't find the relay for the low beams....only the highs under the hood. I am gonna have a look under the dash there has to be a pcm module the for the low beams.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That reminds me, I need to make cable adapters for the Wilwood calipers with ears for e-brake cables to hook up to, for now, no e-brake though the switch wills till work.

Oops, forgot, we do not have DRL to start with so looks like I do this from scratch.

Rick

OP
C
Thread Starter #9
That reminds me, I need to make cable adapters for the Wilwood calipers with ears for e-brake cables to hook up to, for now, no e-brake though the switch wills till work.

Oops, forgot, we do not have DRL to start with so looks like I do this from scratch.

Rick
Rick seeing how you don't have DRL to start. Can you tell me if your instrument cluster is lit during without any lights on? It is really annoying in Canada that they have the instrument cluster on with DRL which makes it on 24/7. Many times I have left early morning and thought my lights were on because my cluster was lit.

Me wonder if the dealer could just turn off the cluster or they are directly tied to the DRL feature.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
My car is all apart waiting for the new turbo system, IC and other things so I cannot test this right now buddy, perhaps somebody that sees this will do it for you.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Rick seeing how you don't have DRL to start. Can you tell me if your instrument cluster is lit during without any lights on? It is really annoying in Canada that they have the instrument cluster on with DRL which makes it on 24/7. Many times I have left early morning and thought my lights were on because my cluster was lit.

Me wonder if the dealer could just turn off the cluster or they are directly tied to the DRL feature.
Do the Canadian cars have the Auto feature on the headlamps ? If I recall the dash lights are not on till the lights are switched on but maybe Russ can answer that since he has a few FiSt's laying about ?

OP
C
Thread Starter #12
Do the Canadian cars have the Auto feature on the headlamps ? If I recall the dash lights are not on till the lights are switched on but maybe Russ can answer that since he has a few FiSt's laying about ?
Yes we do have the auto feature, but it had no effect on the instrument cluster. Now that I think about it I havent ever used the auto feature. I'll have to try and see if it effects the cluster. I could always dim the lights but that takes too long. I would rather they were just off until the headlamps are turned on.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yes we do have the auto feature, but it had no effect on the instrument cluster. Now that I think about it I havent ever used the auto feature. I'll have to try and see if it effects the cluster. I could always dim the lights but that takes too long. I would rather they were just off until the headlamps are turned on.
I understand. hopefully someone with a car or at least a working car will chime in ..

KKaWing

I have mine set to auto (canadian '15 model). I didn't notice the green headlight on... light. I'll keep an eye on the way home, should still be bright out.