Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Engine Oil, Coolant, Fluid Specifications

ROCKYFiestta

any thoughts on this, Its meant for high end bmw's still on the fence on going thicker but to be honest i don't like the sound of the di engines to noisy for me and still haven't gotten use to it. so i was also hoping it would make it a little more quiet other reason is i can get it for the same price of mobil one or actually a little cheaper.

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
any thoughts on this, Its meant for high end bmw's still on the fence on going thicker but to be honest i don't like the sound of the di engines to noisy for me and still haven't gotten use to it. so i was also hoping it would make it a little more quiet other reason is i can get it for the same price of mobil one or actually a little cheaper.
Sure why not? Alot of others run 5w30 with no issues seen yet. If you wanna try it go for it. It's just like any other boutique oils out there plus or minus a few additives.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I run plenz plat 5w30, year round, no issues

2017 Magnetic FiST w/Recaros

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
NICE I am currently using the 5 20 penz plat so I can definitely go thicker
Penz plat is on the thinner range of viscosity levels, which is why I run their 5w30; It's more like a "heavy 5w20".

You can definitely run any kind of 5w30 without issue, as the FiST sold in other countries uses that spec oil.

I find the engine a tad quieter with 5w30 and a tad smoother.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Keep in mind In today's motors such as those with VVT oil is not just used for lubrication but also as a hydraulic fluid.
EXACTLY. This is why going too think is not good.

Last edited:

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Penz plat is on the thinner range of viscosity levels, which is why I run their 5w30; It's more like a "heavy 5w20".

You can definitely run any kind of 5w30 without issue, as the FiST sold in other countries uses that spec oil.

I find the engine a tad quieter with 5w30 and a tad smoother.

In the Bay Area, Monument Auto Parts stocks Red Line 5w30 in the gallon containers, but not 5w20 (quarts only). I think I'll switch to 5w30 next time ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Keep in mind In today's motors such as those with VVT oil is not just used for lubrication but also as a hydraulic fluid.
True, but then WHY would Ford spec a thicker 5W-30 oil for other markets, even given the speculation that it would heat shear down to what a 5W-20 is in cooler climes?? (They use the SAME EXACT VVT system in those locales.)

Of course one should NEVER EVER put a crazy 10W-50, or 20W-60 [crazyeye] (or even an overly thick 10W-40) type viscosity oil in these cars! [nono]
But a slightly higher HTHSV 5W-30 is NOT going to harm anything. [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They do it there due to the fact that we are silly Americans believing that using a 5w20 will increase the fuel economy! Duh! And sell 5w20 somewhere because it didn't pan out as they thought in the rest of the world!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I will run a fairly thick (3.58 HTHSV) 5W-30 for the next summer interval change I do in the next few days (Ravenol REP 5W-30).
I am even going to try to install the (even longer than the oversized FL-400S) oversized Fram Ultra 3600 filter, as long as it clears the factory radiator by a quarter inch. (The Fram techs informed me that the internal relief valve of that filter is set at the same exact pressure as the 3614 Ultra filter, which is the recced size for our engine, so no harm, no foul!)

Just know that even using a 70 weight oil will do NOTHING AT ALL for the direct injection's 'sewing machine tick' noise. [wink]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Not to kick a dead horse, but I accidentally ended up with a really large oil filter that crossed over from the FL400S and that is the Wix 51516/NAPA 1516... it actually helped oil temps even more than the FL400S and for those of you with still a stock radiator you can also go with the Fram 3600 (NEVER orange Extra Guard, use silver Tough Guard and gold Ultra Synthetic only. Extended guard is a waste with our OCI's on a turbo car) and that mother almost hits the stock radiator shroud... It was 100 degrees yesterday and driving 70mph and accelerating up hills I barely broke 220 for very max oil temp with the NAPA 41516 (Platinum). It's really clear these longer filters taking more oil and the heat sink effect of more surface area REALLY helps keep the temps down! Forget oil coolers, people, save your pennies for a radiator and just use a giant oil filter!

XanRules

Also FYI, if you are like me and don't have a dealership convenient and need coolant quickly, Prestone's DexCool replacement, part #s AF850 and AF888, meet Ford Spec WSS-M97B44-D2. The Motorcraft Orange is pretty much just GM DexCool.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Also FYI, if you are like me and don't have a dealership convenient and need coolant quickly, Prestone's DexCool replacement, part #s AF850 and AF888, meet Ford Spec WSS-M97B44-D2. The Motorcraft Orange is pretty much just GM DexCool.
Yep, basically orange coolant is what you need to remember...

Jerickson88

In short, will 0w20 suffice for our cars?

My wife's civic specs 0w20 syn, and it is now out of the service plan... so, I could kill 2 birds with 3 cases of the same oil, and have a 3rd OC on deck basically.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
In short, will 0w20 suffice for our cars?

My wife's civic specs 0w20 syn, and it is now out of the service plan... so, I could kill 2 birds with 3 cases of the same oil, and have a 3rd OC on deck basically.
Yes I have ran 0w20 many moons! Just look at it this way....the 0 in front of the W means it will act like a 0 weight in the winter and make it easier to start. But when up to operating Temp it becomes a 20 weight as specified by ford. You are all good to go....now you just have to decide which oil to run!

Jerickson88

Yes I have ran 0w20 many moons! Just look at it this way....the 0 in front of the W means it will act like a 0 weight in the winter and make it easier to start. But when up to operating Temp it becomes a 20 weight as specified by ford. You are all good to go....now you just have to decide which oil to run!

Probably LiquiMoly Special Tech. I think it will suffice for both cars and for 5L, $40 shipped isn't bad.