Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Engine Oil, Coolant, Fluid Specifications

Quisp

1000 Post Club
A lot owners use the longer motorcraft filter. I am uneasy about using it, because it slightly lowers the oil pressure.
There's nothing in my standard size filter when I cut it open. I figure if I get enough debris to clog it, a larger filters not going to help.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This was Redline 5-30

6K miles with a 4.4 TBN left, that stuff must have a SCARY amount of calcium in it!!
(I used to use it in my LS1 Z28, but afraid to in an even slightly LSPI prone car like ours. ;) )

Quisp

1000 Post Club
6K miles with a 4.4 TBN left, that stuff must have a SCARY amount of calcium in it!!
(I used to use it in my LS1 Z28, but afraid to in an even slightly LSPI prone car like ours. ;) )

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
That's what I like about the newer penz plat, it has less calcium.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
According to Redline the zddp levels quench the lspi affect. Never had a problem.

That might be so (Dave would not confirm this to me when I asked him), but I would be running that oil (or their 0W/5W-20) IF that calcium was less than half that amount, and the magnesium was 3-4 times that amount, in the UOA above. ;) [driving]

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
This is a VOA of the reformulated penz plat 5w30 (sorry for the crapola pic, all I could find on short notice). Penz plat is on the thinner side, so I use 5w30, which is comparable to thicker 5w20 oils out there.

Calcium is drastically reduced and boron and magnesium is increased to make up for zddp properties. This is designed specifically for LSPI prone engines.

It has dexos 1 gen 2 spec and some euro specs.

Best thing about it is PRICE and availability. There's a $10 rebate per 5 gallon jug (limit 2 per, expires 6/30), net price is $12.98 (+tax) at Walmart!

Sorry, but the boutique stuff is highway robbery, imo.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
A lot owners use the longer motorcraft filter. I am uneasy about using it, because it slightly lowers the oil pressure.
How would a larger oil filter lower oil pressure? All it will do is give you more surface area for contaminants to my knowledge. Increasing the filter size can only do good things like add a little more oil, a little better cooling and better filter surface area. I don't think Mountune would recommend it if did any thing harmful to our cars. What am I missing here, I thought I was doing a good thing for my car?

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
How would a larger oil filter lower oil pressure? All it will do is give you more surface area for contaminants to my knowledge. Increasing the filter size can only do good things like add a little more oil, a little better cooling and better filter surface area. I don't think Mountune would recommend it if did any thing harmful to our cars. What am I missing here, I thought I was doing a good thing for my car?
More volume, increased amount of oil takes more energy to push around. Adding coolers, for example, to any part of a system decreases pressure. The bigger the cooler, the lower the pressure.

Not saying it's harmful per se, just decreases my comfort level. More so, I think the stock filter does a fine job.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Having more oil does not mean you are pushing more volume, flow is determined by your most restricted oiled surfaces not the amount of oil in the system. In most engines that is your main bearings. Off the subject..... I saw this recently in a Wikipedia article on oil pumps...." .001 of an inch worn off of the engineā€™s main bearings can cause up to a 20% loss in oil pressure." WOW!

An oil cooler is just a pipe, pressure in=pressure out in a closed system which a cooler would be. Our engine are not technically a closed system due to gravity flow internal to the engine. The only possible impedance to flow in an oil cooler would be due to frictional loses or flow resistance in the bends. I don't think the impedance to flow would be enough to measure a pressure difference in the oil cooler or an oil filter. Neither can alter pressure if working correctly, not plugged or too small in diameter. For my 45 years of cars and engine building any old hot rodder would use the biggest filter they could. And the reason speed shops still recommend it. The Motorcraft FL-400S is the one for our cars and I am sure other makers have an equivalent. I hear if you have an aftermarket FMIC they may not fit.

I also am sure the stock filter is "fine". But more oil, more filter capacity and a little additional cooling for the same cost just sounds like "freebies" to me.[wrenchin] Have fun with your FiST...I love mine!

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Having more oil does not mean you are pushing more volume, flow is determined by your most restricted oiled surfaces not the amount of oil in the system. In most engines that is your main bearings. Off the subject..... I saw this recently in a Wikipedia article on oil pumps...." .001 of an inch worn off of the engineā€™s main bearings can cause up to a 20% loss in oil pressure." WOW!

An oil cooler is just a pipe, pressure in=pressure out in a closed system which a cooler would be. Our engine are not technically a closed system due to gravity flow internal to the engine. The only possible impedance to flow in an oil cooler would be due to frictional loses or flow resistance in the bends. I don't think the impedance to flow would be enough to measure a pressure difference in the oil cooler or an oil filter. Neither can alter pressure if working correctly, not plugged or too small in diameter. For my 45 years of cars and engine building any old hot rodder would use the biggest filter they could. And the reason speed shops still recommend it. The Motorcraft FL-400S is the one for our cars and I am sure other makers have an equivalent. I hear if you have an aftermarket FMIC they may not fit.

I also am sure the stock filter is "fine". But more oil, more filter capacity and a little additional cooling for the same cost just sounds like "freebies" to me.[wrenchin] Have fun with your FiST...I love mine!
I didn't make this stuff up. It's out there if you research it.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Nobody accused you of making anything up did they? I'm sure you heard it somewhere but I'm not going looking for it for you. Have a nice day and as we say in the South, bless your heart! [biggrin]
My apologies for being rude. Had a rough day.

What I meant to say is, that there's lots of info on various sites with varying opinons on this subject. People who have noticed pressure fluctuations/decreases with going with a bigger filter.

I know when running an auxiliary transmission cooler (in an automatic), the bigger you go, the bigger a drop in line pressure you get.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
An oil pump will pump regardless of oil filter size. I'd say running a thicker oil would cause more issues than a larger oil filter due to the fluid thickness and making the engine work harder and isn't dissipating heat as well....IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
An oil pump will pump regardless of oil filter size. I'd say running a thicker oil would cause more issues than a larger oil filter due to the fluid thickness and making the engine work harder and isn't dissipating heat as well....IMO
Thicker oil would be harder to pump. I run the penz plat 5w30, which is on the lighter end (viscosity-wise) of the spectrum, on par with the heavier 5w20s out there. I wouldn't go any heavier than that for exactly that reason.

As for oil filter size and pressure changes:
I have been reading a couple of threads on BITOG about it. There is some mixed opinion on the subject. It's more complicated than just volume, more to do with bypass valve differences (if any) and cold start pressure buildup.
But the filter size increase itself probably isn't enough to effect pressures alone. I'm guessing here.

And what Is the real world benefit of running the bigger filter, is it really needed?

Maybe I guess being able to have a longer OCI, but I'm a nut and do em at 3k....[emoji43]