Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Your Dash Cam

Do you have/had a dash cam?

• Yes (front only)

Votes: 50 58.1%
  • Yes (front and rear)

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 36.0%

• Total voters

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Just want to throw the question of how many have a dash cam (front and/or rear) and if you could list the ones you have or tried and how it works for you. This could help those that want one and see how other FiST enthusiast like them.

Edit to add some helpful install guides for the FiST
https://howtune.com/articles/170-install-the-wiring-for-a-dashcam-on-a-2014-ford-fiesta

Radar one on this forum but can easily be applied for any dash cam
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...-DIY-for-Ford-Fiesta-ST-Valentine-V1-detector

I got this one for free as my 15 year work anniversary gift. It's a Vivitar DVR787HD. I have it in my Explorer and I love it and I will be buying another one for my FiST. I have a 64 gig card in it, and it has a vehicle mode where it records 3 minute chunks until the card fills up, then it starts over writing from oldest to newest until it's "full" again.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DM35PAC...TF8&colid=10NR9V2VH4G9K&coliid=I1XMYIPWOIQOSQ

I just need to find some good dash mounts. In the explorer, I have the bicycle mount that comes with it mounted to the passenger grab handle. Not the best solution, but it works for now. It is battery powered but it has a USB and will power off of the USB only when plugged in. The Sync sees it as a disc, so it's best to use one of the cigarette lighter to USB jacks.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
I have a Gideon Wasp, its basically a Go-Pro but not as costly. it was created by one of the go-pro developers, and is a Canadian Co. as far as i know. works awesome

KKaWing

Itronics ITB-100HD with a Lukas UPS battery pack in the cig. lighter. I'm still adjusting the angle but here's a video. Probable one notch down angle for less sky and maybe rotate it left a bit.

[video=youtube;e8pg291-aIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8pg291-aIg[/video]

MOFiST

Mobius cam front and rear. The results are nice (Good lens) for a matchbox sized camera.
The only thing is the mic is a little bit average. It does the job but not high fidelity by any means.
The rear cam is only temporary right now.

Using the KDLINKS X1.

I have had a couple issues with it just stopping the recording and am still trying to play around to figure out why. I suspect it is a memory card overwriting hiccup. My current test almost has the card full so I should know fairly soon if it is a persistent problem. The reviews for it are extremely good and word is their support is fantastic so I guess we'll see.

I really wanted a Blackvue 600 series but for the prices they charge their reviews ought to be superb, which they're not... I plan on adding a separate cheap rear camera at some point.

One helpful note. The best placement for this camera was in front of the rear view mirror both for the camera's view angle as well as hiding it from the driver's view. This meant attaching it near those black dots on the glass. Suction cups are worthless at attaching, unless maybe you have the ones with the heavy sticky material on the edge, the X1 comes with a normal rubber interface. As such I had to use an adhesive disk. This is the one I used, it has been up for about three weeks so far, hopefully that 3M adhesive keeps living up to its name headed into summer.
http://amzn.com/B013M5IB7I

I along with the wire that goes to my phone's windshield mount and some other things, I opted to wire everything into my rear 12v outlet.

One note on wire routing safety: I did NOT opt to send the wire on the underside of the A pillar as in the DIY in the OP, but instead along the top all the way to the base of the windshield and back. The reason for this is when I inspected under the A-pillar I determined having it cross through the A-pillar (as it does in the DIY) on its way down would absolutely interfere with the passenger curtain airbag. You could try to fish the wire over the curtain, but I had length to spare so why bother with the risk when I could just detour around?

Bluedrank

I'm using a BlackBox G1W-C, which is the capacitor model. I've been pretty happy with it, although I'll warn you in advance to turn off the shock sensor because it's not great. I have it mounted in front of the rear view mirror, so it doesn't block my view in the slightest. I got an extra long USB cable, 20 feet I think. The wire is easily tucked in the roof liner, then down the A pillar, and eventually under the seat where it looks up right at the plug. 90% of the wire is out of sight.

I've have a pair of Blackview 400 HD's... I bought them both years ago now, they have both worked perfectly and have even been moved from my old cars (which I sold) into my new ones.

Camera looks good. How'd you run the cable on the ceiling?

Bluedrank

Camera looks good. How'd you run the cable on the ceiling?
I did the same thing with my cam too. The roof liner gives plenty of space to tuck a usb cable under. then just run it along the edges of the car, or take apart the dash and route it there.

I have a Mobius Actioncam with a super capacitor. It's been working pretty good and I've had it for over a year now. My old cheap no name brand camera I had in my old car died from the heat. It killed the battery and the camera would cut off randomly too. The Mobius has much better quality. It's not perfect and unless you're close plate numbers are a bit hard to read. I used to upload clips of stupid drivers all the time, but I see so much stupid that I just don't have time to pull and upload it all... So it's recording for the really stupid incidents worth taking the clip off for and if I were to ever get in a wreck or something. I mounted mine up by the rear view mirror kinda like Phreak did, but on the passenger side of the mirror, so I never see the camera and it's not real obvious for the passenger either.

Just a screen shot I took of a Focus ST I spotted.

I haven't installed it yet since it wont be here until tomorrow but I bought (on good recommendation over at dashcamtalk.com) a b40/a118c. Should get it installed on Thursday most likely.

Received my a118c/b40c the other day, but had to send it back because the audio recording was messed up, sounded like an oscillating fan was next to it the entire time, it also picked up interference from the LEDs so it would constantly beep on top of that. First brand was Auto-vox, which I sent back, next one was SpyTec, but they're basically identical internally just different boxes.

Replacement came today and had it installed in a matter of minutes, I think the hardest part was getting that nut out behind the glove box and getting the ring terminal to stay put long enough to torque the nut back down.

All that can be seen from the driver's seat is the USB cable. Included with this model is a cable cover, which I didn't think of when picking my mounting location and it's about 2-3mm too long, the headliner gets in the way. I'm just going to trim the cover so it'll fit and hide the cable and it'll look mostly factory from the inside.

I started a new YouTube channel for my dashcam captures and started saving more clips for compilations. Turns out there's quite a few people that do this. I was just posting maybe a clip every now and then on my old multipurpose channel. Once I started saving every incident I started realizing how bad the drivers up here really are, having 3 compilations up in a matter of 2 weeks...

[video=youtube;kDuuiIfQgkM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDuuiIfQgkM[/video]
[video=youtube;AsbSLxV331Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsbSLxV331Q[/video]
[video=youtube;Kug6VUkVYMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kug6VUkVYMM[/video]

It's actually been kinda fun to do this. I needed an excuse to do some video editing again and there's a pretty interesting community of dashcammers on Youtube. I'll post more up as they get made.

I have a Mobius action cam in the FiST. It is ~3 years old now and was originally in my CR-Z. The battery is shot, but it still functions just fine if you set it to 'immidiate off' mode. I'm happy with it's performance and low profile. It's connected to the rear view mirror with a bicycle handlebar mount. As for power, I routed the wire to the REAR 12V socket, which stays on for exactly 10 minutes after you leave the FiST.

I also have a Mini0806 with the Circular polarization filter in the Rav4. The GPS is nice, but the screen is only handy for the initial alignment. I can't imagine playing back anything on it. Without the CPL filter, it really shows a lot of dashboard glare.

If you haven't checked out Techmoan's dash cam reviews, you should. I love his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

I have a Mobius action cam in the FiST. It is ~3 years old now and was originally in my CR-Z. The battery is shot, but it still functions just fine if you set it to 'immidiate off' mode.
Replace the battery with a super capacitor. Basically it won't die like a lithium battery will in heat and it lets the last clip finish up and store before it shuts the camera off. I put in a super capacitor in my mobius and haven't had any issues. My old camera had the battery die quick on me so the last clip would always corrupt.