Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

koozy's ST

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
How do you like the Accessport?
Did you change the oil already?
I like the COBB AP. Before I even got the ST I researched the aftermarket support for the car, as it's a significant factor for me. I'm coming from 7 yrs. of driving an Evo 8, which has large aftermarket support. The COBB AP has been around for some time and COBB's reputation, quality of parts, and customer oriented support were huge deciding factors that sealed the deal. I intend to upgrade in stages as COBB brings them to market. COBB has a facility here in Southern CA, which is great in the event I need their support or custom tuning on their dyno.

I haven't changed the oil yet and have about 2,500 miles on the car. I intend to wait 'til about 5k on the odometer with the type of driving I'm currently doing with the factory fill oil. I've heard and read the arguments, but I'm content with my decision and experience. If I were already tracking the car, then I'd probably change it sooner. It comes down to what type of abuse or use I'm putting on the car and it's oil. Someone at FORD took the time to test and recommend maintenance services not just for oil, but other components as well and heed their advice. I'm also taking advantage of the factory fill oil to help accelerate the break-in of the motor. Changing the oil too soon may prevent or delay break-in of the bearings and rings. There's a thread somewhere here of someone who changed their oil within the first few hundred miles and after putting the car on the dyno had less HP/Torque than others that had their oil changed later. I have yet to hear or read anything of someone who waited to change their oil later <8k miles and report something bad other than getting flak from some people for being "foolish". I've been monitoring my oil and nothing seems astray and I haven't had to add any in, which is comforting to know it's not consuming. Once I do change the factory fill oil, I will send it out to Blackstone LABS to have it analyzed and fill the motor with full synthetic. I'm expecting better performance and fuel mileage once I change it.

Any plans for your ST?

I like the COBB AP. Before I even got the ST I researched the aftermarket support for the car, as it's a significant factor for me. I'm coming from 7 yrs. of driving an Evo 8, which has large aftermarket support. The COBB AP has been around for some time and COBB's reputation, quality of parts, and customer oriented support were huge deciding factors that sealed the deal. I intend to upgrade in stages as COBB brings them to market. COBB has a facility here in Southern CA, which is great in the event I need their support or custom tuning on their dyno.

I haven't changed the oil yet and have about 2,500 miles on the car. I intend to wait 'til about 5k on the odometer with the type of driving I'm currently doing with the factory fill oil. I've heard and read the arguments, but I'm content with my decision and experience. If I were already tracking the car, then I'd probably change it sooner. It comes down to what type of abuse or use I'm putting on the car and it's oil. Someone at FORD took the time to test and recommend maintenance services not just for oil, but other components as well and heed their advice. I'm also taking advantage of the factory fill oil to help accelerate the break-in of the motor. Changing the oil too soon may prevent or delay break-in of the bearings and rings. There's a thread somewhere here of someone who changed their oil within the first few hundred miles and after putting the car on the dyno had less HP/Torque than others that had their oil changed later. I have yet to hear or read anything of someone who waited to change their oil later <8k miles and report something bad other than getting flak from some people for being "foolish". I've been monitoring my oil and nothing seems astray and I haven't had to add any in, which is comforting to know it's not consuming. Once I do change the factory fill oil, I will send it out to Blackstone LABS to have it analyzed and fill the motor with full synthetic. I'm expecting better performance and fuel mileage once I change it.

Any plans for your ST?
That sounds like a great approach.

I had read about these cars for the past 6 months... watching all the auto reviews and write ups etc.

I also have a background with performance cars and currently am looking to sell my 3000GT VR4 ( gas guzzler in the city ).

Changing the oil not too early and not too late sounds like a good in between, thanks for the heads up on the poor dyno results from the early fluid change.

I am very curious about your oil analysis, please post it once you get it done!

My plans for the car are to enjoy it, and take great care of it.... as it is my first new car.... I've owned roughly 30 car in the past but none new.

In the future I could see doing all the bolt ons but I want to keep it classy and "sleeper-ish" as I use it to drive to my clients.

The best and worst thing about this platform is that NOBODY knows what it is.... people are like oh you bought a Ford Fiesta... interesting " that's like a Corolla right? " so you can fool some people if you want to and play it down.

I am thrilled with this car and can't wait to break it in and throw it into some corners! ( only 400 miles right now )

Scangauge will be my modifications for now haha, I have one lying around so mines well hook er up!

I'm getting roughly 22-24 MPG 80% city and doing regular full throttle low rpm pulls and engine braking regularly.

What MPG are you getting?

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
Going by the reading on the center console I'm getting 22-25mpg 95% city, which is most of my driving. I haven't taken long highway trips to get a reading for that type of driving. From a full tank of gas I'm usually looking for a gas station around 240 miles before the light comes on. I'm also inputting my data on www.truedelta.com.

I gotcha on the sleeper aspect, I'm of the same belief. My Evo was silver and a sleeper. The less attention my car draws the better for me. I like the shock value from those that don't expect it from an econobox.

For some insight, here's an oil analysis of the factory fill someone had done over here.

Going by the reading on the center console I'm getting 22-25mpg 95% city, which is most of my driving. I haven't taken long highway trips to get a reading for that type of driving. From a full tank of gas I'm usually looking for a gas station around 240 miles before the light comes on. I'm also inputting my data on www.truedelta.com.

I gotcha on the sleeper aspect, I'm of the same belief. My Evo was silver and a sleeper. The less attention my car draws the better for me. I like the shock value from those that don't expect it from an econobox.

For some insight, here's an oil analysis of the factory fill someone had done over here.
Nice, thanks for all the info. Keep us all updated!

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
Nice, thanks for all the info. Keep us all updated!
will do, but it may be awhile. After next weekend the ST will be parked for 4-6 weeks. I've got an '85 e28 BMW that's gotta come out of hibernation for maintenance in preparation for it's bi-annual smog check. I also want to drive that car for a bit, as it's something else that I enjoy. Gas mileage will suck compared to the ST, but the e28 is a classic that's been in the family since '85 and driving it is visceral for me.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Been running 87 octane since day 1 and the car never complained about it. Today for the first time 91 octane went in with COBB Stage 1 loaded.

Initial impression... NICE! [driving]

Been running 87 octane since day 1 and the car never complained about it. Today for the first time 91 octane went in with COBB Stage 1 loaded.

Initial impression... NICE! [driving]
Very cool that you guys have had that in your family since 1985!

How does second gear hook up? In my stock car in sport mode... if the street isn't smooth and flat it spins!

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
Very cool that you guys have had that in your family since 1985!
How does second gear hook up? In my stock car in sport mode... if the street isn't smooth and flat it spins!
I made a couple of runs this evening redlining 1st gear, into 2nd. It hooks up fine, even in sport mode. Perhaps your tires still need to be scrubbed in some more? The sensation of power increase is definitely there. The new 7,000RPM rev limiter has made the driving experience impressively fun. The exhaust note cracks and pops noticeably more when it's pushed.

I made a couple of runs this evening redlining 1st gear, into 2nd. It hooks up fine, even in sport mode. Perhaps your tires still need to be scrubbed in some more? The sensation of power increase is definitely there. The new 7,000RPM rev limiter has made the driving experience impressively fun. The exhaust note cracks and pops noticeably more when it's pushed.
Yeah, I was going full throttle at 2000 rpms in second so that I could feel the torque which spins the tire but I imagine if I hit it in the higher rpms it wouldn't spin.

Sounds like fun!

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
Yeah, I was going full throttle at 2000 rpms in second so that I could feel the torque which spins the tire but I imagine if I hit it in the higher rpms it wouldn't spin.
Sounds like fun!
That stretch of road you were on must have been really bad to unload the weight off the front tires, because mine still hooks up at 2k rpms in 2nd gear with ESC off. A tire may squeal, but it never spins.

That stretch of road you were on must have been really bad to unload the weight off the front tires, because mine still hooks up at 2k rpms in 2nd gear with ESC off. A tire may squeal, but it never spins.
Hmm, yeah. It doesn't squeal but I can feel and and hear it spinning and tugging my wheel occasionally.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
your car is a sleeper from the factory [:D]
I wouldn't consider the Fiesta ST as a factory sleeper because of the wings, aggressive front grill and wheels...

An Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost with a tune on it.....steelies in all, now that's a sleeper!

Or if someone re-bodied an ST in standard Fiesta guise......that would be awesome!

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #55
I wouldn't consider the Fiesta ST as a factory sleeper because of the wings, aggressive front grill and wheels...

An Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost with a tune on it.....steelies in all, now that's a sleeper!
Yes that would be a sleeper! I think it was PUMA SPEED's 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta I saw on Youtube and that thing looks and sounds wild.

Just curious does yours have the 6500 or 6750 redline?
Mine has the 6,500 redline. It appears there was a change in the production line from 6,750 to 6,500 around the beginning of March. It's a wash though with a flash tune.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #56
In preparation for an exhaust system I cut the stock exhaust and installed a coupler. This will make my exhaust swap easier in the future and also keep the stock exhaust reasonably intact in the event I need to put the car back to stock. I used an exhaust pipe cutter from Harbor Freight, and a 55mm coupler from AutohausAZ. It took 5 minutes to cut the pipe and slip the coupler on, pretty easy and accomplishes the intended goal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/exhaust-pipe-cut-off-tool-69327.html
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=eo25vq2wir1ji045le4ncr55&partnumber=1K0253141M

Last edited:
OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #59
hey, haven't seen you on the forums in awhile. Glad to see you're still around and hopefully still enjoying your Fiesta ST. I haven't forgotten about the oil analysis. The car hasn't been driven much to acquire 5k miles on the factory fill, but when it does I'll update.

I can tell you this though... the tires squeal like a mofo with Stage 2 out of the hole in 1st and 2nd compared to stock. Downpipe is going on this weekend and I expect more squealing with Stage 3 map loaded LOL.

hey, haven't seen you on the forums in awhile. Glad to see you're still around and hopefully still enjoying your Fiesta ST. I haven't forgotten about the oil analysis. The car hasn't been driven much to acquire 5k miles on the factory fill, but when it does I'll update.

I can tell you this though... the tires squeal like a mofo with Stage 2 out of the hole in 1st and 2nd compared to stock. Downpipe is going on this weekend and I expect more squealing with Stage 3 map loaded LOL.
Very cool, sounds like fun! I'll keep an eye out