Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

koozy's ST

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #146
No more dents! [thumb]

A tree limb broke off and fell across the roof of my car during a recent rain/wind storm. A Noah Covercraft (excellent) car cover saved the paint finish from scratches, but there were 12+ dings, dents, ripples and creases across the roof. I took it to bodyshop and they wanted to fill and spray it; and wanted the car for a week, no thanks. I then took it to a PDR shop I had used in the past. He spent 5 solid hours working his craft, magically massaging the roof back into it's original shape and luster. Photos were taken, but they don't really capture the fine details of the repairs. In my amazement all of the damages were repaired without disturbing the original finish, incredible. One would never know a tree fell on it.

Before. The car cover gave up it's life saving the paint finish.

After.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #150
Are you doing the install this weekend?!
going to try as long as nothing else creeps up. I may tackle one bit at a time. My main concern is mounting the turbo to the manifold because of the weight of things, while trying to also wrench on them. I have a few ideas, but I'll see what I can do once I'm there.

Like yourself I also had to re-clock the turbo, because it wasn't clocked in the right direction.

Both turbine and compressor housings were off, so I adjusted both. Russ sent me a bunch of reference photos.
I took advantage of the situation and put nickel anti-seize on the turbine housing bolts.

Here's my final clockings until I try to install it, next to one of DHM's reference photo that Russ sent me. The photos helped a ton, without them I wouldn't have been able to get it close until I go to install the turbo on the car.

Hurry up you! [coolsmile] Great pictures by the way.

Edit: I bet that downpipe/WG dump combo is going to be tons of fun to install!

By the looks of it you wont be [;)]

Just a question or two. I am very new/noob in this ST/TURBO game.
What power will this give you HP? and what did it cost you?
Reason I am wondering is I like to know what amount money gets you how much power. Like will 2000 give you 300HP?

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #158
By the looks of it you wont be [;)]

Just a question or two. I am very new/noob in this ST/TURBO game.
What power will this give you HP? and what did it cost you?
Reason I am wondering is I like to know what amount money gets you how much power. Like will 2000 give you 300HP?
Let me direct you to a recent threads that may help answer those questions for you.

Here's a recent thread and the power that can be expected from the DHM Quick Spool kit.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/5032-Dave-s-2014-OW-build?p=139160&viewfull=1#post139160

Cost of the kit will depend on how you option it out. There's a tax season discount available right now, but this will give you a rough idea.
http://deadhookmotorsports.com/Fiesta-ST/Fiesta-ST-Turbo-Upgrade/Dead-hook-motorsports-fiesta-ST-gtx290r-turbo-kit

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/7896-Tax-Season-sale!!!!

More info/discussion on the DHM Quick Spool can be found here.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6969-DHM-quot-Quick-Spool-quot-GT290r-Turbo-Kit-Release!!!

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #159
Day 1
Removed the intake, downpipe and cracked loose the coolant banjos on the stock turbo to let it drain. Sprayed penetrant lube on the manifold nuts to let it soak for a night and called it a day. No pics, because there's plenty of pics around of an intake and downpipe removed from the car.

Day 2
Removed the OE turbo and called it a day after I got the DHM manifold and turbo mounted, as I have other things beside my car to take care of. haha.

I spent more time than I would have liked cleaning up stuff like re-taping and re-threading the manifold nuts and studs. Close to half the studs came out with the nuts, so I opted to clean all of them up before re-installing them with nickel anti-seize.

I managed to mount the turbo on to the manifold by myself with a little ingenuity. I agree it's PITA by oneself and totally doable with an extra set of hands, but I managed by myself once I rigged my "hoist" haha. I used some twine and a bungie cord and fortunately I was able to squeeze both arms up to mate and tighten the v-band clamp.

I tried to install the manifold and turbo as a unit as it looked like I could squeeze it up from the bottom, but the bigger issue I had was the weight of both as a whole, it's probably around 35lbs. and trying to lift it up through a gap while on my back just wasn't going to happen. After :30 of that idea I moved on to my next idea, lol. I separated the turbo from the manifold and installed the manifold first from the top. It's tight and has to be angled right, but it fits. There are 2 nuts on top that have to go on first before the others because these 2 nuts can't fit once the other nuts are on due to the clearance between the manifold and studs for these 2 nuts are close.

The turbo mounted on to the manifold. In the pic is my homemade rig to hoist/suspend the turbo.
The rig allowed me to rest my arm while I regained enough strength to have another go at it. One arm to lift while the other hand finessed and tightened the clamp. After about 3 attempts I got it on.

I was pleased to see that I clocked the turbo right, because having to remove the turbo and re-clock the turbo several times would have been a bad day.

The turbo mounted on to the manifold. In the pic is my homemade rig to hoist/suspend the turbo.
The rig allowed me to rest my arm while I regained enough strength to have another go at it. One arm to lift while the other hand finessed and tightened the clamp. After about 3 attempts I got it on.

haha I love it! such a great idea!