Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spongy brake after bleeding out all brake fluid

JAD

Long story short, I busted my caliper, and all fluid was out. Rebuilt the caliper and changed everything with new fluid.

But now, the brake pedal will sink all the way to the floor with some resistance at the beginning. We bleed out numerous time already including the brake proportion valve.

From research online, it seems we need to hit the dealer to eget pressue bleed or either use their special scanner to activate abs.

Any suggestion from you guys?

Did you bleed all 4 corners or just the one caliper? Are you positive there are no leaks in the system?

OP
JAD

JAD

Thread Starter #3
Yup, all 4 corners. No leak as well... or we missed it...

If you let the master cylinder go dry then that is probably the problem. I'm not sure of what happens in there, but you need to take it somewhere that can cycle the abs to properly get all the air out.

OP
JAD

JAD

Thread Starter #7
If you let the master cylinder go dry then that is probably the problem. I'm not sure of what happens in there, but you need to take it somewhere that can cycle the abs to properly get all the air out.
Ye... that's what we are speculating

OP
JAD

JAD

Thread Starter #8
So if you hold the brake pedal down, the pedal starts to firm up and slowly goes to the floor?
Yup... after wards I can just push all the way down with no resistance.

I've also read that bleeding or "bench bleeding" the master cylinder may fix it. You could look at that before making a dealer trip.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have bled these systems many times and never needed special tools or the dealer.

I would suggest that you gravity bleed the system first.
One wheel at a time in this order, RR, LR, RF, LF.

After that bleed as normal with one person on the pedal and one at the wheel.
It is best to use a clear plastic tube on the bleed valve nipple so you can see the fluid.
Do NOT pump the brake pedal, this only puts air back into the system.
Just one press then bleed and repeat on all wheels until there is no air.
Always do RR, LR, RF, then LF.

You do not need to do the gravity bleed again.
However then do the same procedure again with the engine running.

This method has worked for me every time without fail.
Or you can tow it to the dealer, it's your money.

Dave

OP
JAD

JAD

Thread Starter #11
I have bled these systems many times and never needed special tools or the dealer.

I would suggest that you gravity bleed the system first.
One wheel at a time in this order, RR, LR, RF, LF.

After that bleed as normal with one person on the pedal and one at the wheel.
It is best to use a clear plastic tube on the bleed valve nipple so you can see the fluid.
Do NOT pump the brake pedal, this only puts air back into the system.
Just one press then bleed and repeat on all wheels until there is no air.
Always do RR, LR, RF, then LF.

You do not need to do the gravity bleed again.
However then do the same procedure again with the engine running.

This method has worked for me every time without fail.
Or you can tow it to the dealer, it's your money.

Dave
Hi Dave

My friend used his scanner to open all the valves for the abs, and he said the pedal seemed to be normal now. So he said he will try to bleed out again with all the abs valve open.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Glad you got it. Had a similar issue in my truck... Thought for sure it was the abs module, air in the valves... Dumbass me put the calipers on the opposite sides so the bleeders faced down not up. The air wasn't able to purge. Even a shop didn't notice my blunder and was baffled. They even replaced 1/2 my brake lines for free trying to sort it out. Luckily ford figured out my mistake and didn't charge me haha.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Glad you got it. Had a similar issue in my truck... Thought for sure it was the abs module, air in the valves... Dumbass me put the calipers on the opposite sides so the bleeders faced down not up. The air wasn't able to purge. Even a shop didn't notice my blunder and was baffled. They even replaced 1/2 my brake lines for free trying to sort it out. Luckily ford figured out my mistake and didn't charge me haha.
That is so true.
We normally assume that things are put back correctly.
However the simplest mistake can be the biggest problem.

Dave