Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Breaks and warranty

So after the winter it looks like my driver side rear caliper seized or something and wore the pad down to nothing and now my rotors have nice groves in them.... It's only the one wheel. Will this be covered under warranty? I know brakes are usually a wear and tear item but this isn't normal. Just want to know what I'm getting into when I go to the dealer next week.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Had similar issue on my Edge with the rears. The seized caliper is most definitly covered. The pads I could not but I did get the rotor machined flat for free. Good luck.

OP
mrtn
Thread Starter #3
Thanks. I just spent $300 fixing the rear breaks on my truck last week. I was hoping the car would be good to me for a while. Guess not.

rexdriver85

Sorry this happened, let us know how it works out when it's all done! What's you're mileage?

Oh, and, Brakes* [emoji38][emoji106]

OP
mrtn
Thread Starter #5
Man I spelt it wrong all over. Lol. [emoji23]Thanks
I'm taking the car in on Tuesday. The rear wheel is covered in rusty dust and looks terrible. I only have just under 25,000km.

rexdriver85

So around 15k miles. I'll keep my eye out for anything unusual myself.

Sounds like your friction material is gone from what you've said, I wouldn't drive it anymore, it's dangerous when the brakes are metal on metal. I've seen people drive on wasted pads for so long that the rotor was completely gone all the way into the cooling vanes. The piston came out so far that the caliper was leaking and caused loss of brakes. Be careful sir.

Plus, if it's not too bad they can probably machine the rotors and save them, although I'd want new rotors myself.

OP
mrtn
Thread Starter #7
Thanks. It's parked for the weekend. I would not be that cruel to my car. I'd like new rotors, the winter was not good to them.

me32

1000 Post Club
For the guys that have been having brakes seize up. It seems that you guys live in very cold climate. I wonder if the cold weather has effect on the issuem

rexdriver85

I haven't had these brakes apart yet, are the Pistons actually seizing or is there slider pins that are seizing? Seems more likely the slider pins would be seizing from lack of lubrication.

If that's the case it would benefit us to disassemble the brakes and lube the slider pins to prevent these issues.

Just guessing like I said I haven't had these calipers off yet.

me32

1000 Post Club
I haven't had these brakes apart yet, are the Pistons actually seizing or is there slider pins that are seizing? Seems more likely the slider pins would be seizing from lack of lubrication.

If that's the case it would benefit us to disassemble the brakes and lube the slider pins to prevent these issues.

Just guessing like I said I haven't had these calipers off yet.
Another user that had this issues posted all the pics and his was slider pins were dried up. He was in a colder climate too.

OP
mrtn
Thread Starter #11
Link? I looked but couldn't find

rexdriver85

Another user that had this issues posted all the pics and his was slider pins were dried up. He was in a colder climate too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431706027.128189.jpg
Well that's our answer. I've been using this stuff for many many years as a professional, it's awesome stuff, but pricey.

We should all take our calipers off and check the sliders and lube them to prevent this stuff.

You can lube all brake parts with it, except the friction material of course. [emoji13][emoji106]

OP
mrtn
Thread Starter #14
Got my car back from the dealer yesterday. Replaced both rear disks and pads and pistons all under warranty. No hassle.

Got my car back from the dealer yesterday. Replaced both rear disks and pads and pistons all under warranty. No hassle.
Happy to hear it got sorted out for you without any hassle. I've been following the squeaky brakes thread, mine have been pretty loud at certain times and I only have 3,500 miles. Not going to bother with them yet, it's not a constant noise.

OP
mrtn
Thread Starter #16
Happy to hear it got sorted out for you without any hassle. I've been following the squeaky brakes thread, mine have been pretty loud at certain times and I only have 3,500 miles. Not going to bother with them yet, it's not a constant noise.
That's how mine started. It just slowly wore away until it started grinding on the disk.

Having a very annoying squeal coming from my brakes wonder if they will do anything for me 12k spirited miles only other complaint was before they squealed they were very dusty pads on a side note the pass front caliper has some stuff on it that won't come off easy been like that for over 11k miles

Ive developed a light screeching at slow speed braking at times. My rotors are scored, but the pads are still meaty. I'll spray some brake cleaner in there, if that makes no difference I'll regrease the slides and clean it up in more detail. For me with the scored rotors I'll need to most likely replace them to solve the issue. I'm at 23k miles. Granted I got it used, and who knows if the p.o. had tracked the car, but ive never seen rotors go so fast.