Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

california car duster?

I leave my car in the garage and it always gets dusty after being in there. I've heard some good and bad reviews about the california car duster. Anyone use these things to remove dust?

rexdriver85

I've gotten away from those. They have a wax that will hold the dust and dirt. You will induce swirls and micro marring.

The best way to dust is with a good quality quick detailer and a plush microfiber. Plus, you will boost the shine.

You can even use a leaf blower, as odd as that sounds.

If it's really dusty, a wash is recommended, lubricity is the key to keeping your paint safe. [emoji106][emoji106]

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
What's got me interested is this video here. [video=youtube;8gVU4C_6wOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE[/video] This guy is pretty legit on youtube. He uses them. Do they really cost swirl marks even if you use his method?

koozy

3000 Post Club
the coating on the duster wears off after a few uses. I prefer to use the smaller dash duster instead of the larger one as I can get into smaller areas with ease. In addition to dusting I also quick detail and quick wax. No issues with swirl marks here.

rexdriver85

What's got me interested is this video here. [video=youtube;8gVU4C_6wOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE[/video] This guy is pretty legit on youtube. He uses them. Do they really cost swirl marks even if you use his method?
I haven't seen that but it definitely seems credible. I do a lot of research in the detailing world and the general consensus is the California car dusters are bad for the paint over time. Seems like it's all in the way you use it. Good video.

I have learned over time lubricity is you're friend when it comes to touching your paint. The more slickness the less chance of scratches, swirls and marring.

Wash media is also very important. I've been using Garry Deans wash method for a long time now but still do bucket washes from time to time. 2 buckets, soap in one and water in the other for rinsing and both with a grit guard.

Some people are super crazy with it. The truth is you'll induce swirls and marring over time no matter how careful you are.

If you want to learn some things from a well respected detailer go watch some of Larrys videos at www.ammonyc.com I've learned a lot from him.

I use it occasionally if i recently got a full car wash/detail. but you have to be persistent in doing it regularly which i am no, so eventually its would do mor damange then leaving the dirt/dust on and getting a real wash. I have been looking into ceramic coatings too to keep the paint nice. I think a few ppl have done it.

I would avoid using one every day or on soiled daily driven cars. Duster is ok for a car that gets pulled out once every 3 months and just needs a light dusting. Using a leaf blower or filtered shop vac is the best way to remove dust or pollen without doing a wash.

Quick detailer and a good microfiber is not really any better of an option for preventing swirls. Best way to prevent permanent swirl marks is to keep the paint protected with a high quality wax or sealant.

Basically anything in contact and moving around on your paint is going to EVENTUALLY induce noticeable swirling over time.

rexdriver85

Quick detailer and a good microfiber is not really any better of an option for preventing swirls. Best way to prevent permanent swirl marks is to keep the paint protected with a high quality wax or sealant.
I would hope everyone's car here was either coated, sealed, or waxed. Protect your investment! [emoji106]

The technique is to be gentle when using a car duster to avoid unwanted marks and marring.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I cover my car when its parked at work (FiST is my daily driver) I get to work, pull out the CA duster, lightly go over the car, and then shake the duster to remove any dust, and put it back in its holster. Then I cover the car with a Ford car cover made for the ST. I detail my car every 6 months and have noticed no swirls from the duster. Today is a 40% chance of rain, so no car cover.

This means I'll have to wash my car this weekend. I use a foam blaster on a power washer, the two bucket method, and a master blaster to remove the water, so paint swirling is highly reduced. People often comment on the shine on my car.

For detailing, I use a combination of Klasse(a german paint sealer/polish combo) with Pinnacle wax. Its called the original forum favorite kit from autogeek.net

J2FoRS

I cover my car when its parked at work (FiST is my daily driver) I get to work, pull out the CA duster, lightly go over the car, and then shake the duster to remove any dust, and put it back in its holster. Then I cover the car with a Ford car cover made for the ST. I detail my car every 6 months and have noticed no swirls from the duster. Today is a 40% chance of rain, so no car cover.

This means I'll have to wash my car this weekend. I use a foam blaster on a power washer, the two bucket method, and a master blaster to remove the water, so paint swirling is highly reduced. People often comment on the shine on my car.

For detailing, I use a combination of Klasse(a german paint sealer/polish combo) with Pinnacle wax. Its called the original forum favorite kit from autogeek.net
Your comment on rain so no car cover, the ST specific cover craft cover from Ford accessories is not adequate for wet weather protection or? I have to park my FiST uncovered for weeks to maybe months while away at a course for work and was about to order this to leave on it rain or shine (or snow) out in the long term parking lot....

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
The cover is adequate for wet weather protection. I just don't like putting a wet cover in my trunk, so if rather the car get wet, and then I can just wash it.

Well I've had my FiST for 2 1/2 Months, and so far I've kept it clean with a Calif Car Duster.
But I live in Las Vegas, it rarely rains, and I keep the car garaged most of the time.
However, yesterday it rained a lot, and I was out running errands:
dirty FiST.jpg
Normally I would not buy a black car in Las Vegas, because of the summer heat.
But only one (of the 4) local Ford dealers stocks ST's but all black.
I guess they are going for the bad boy market.
Black looks great when its clean, but damn a little rain and it looks like crap.
I think I'll take it to one of the DIY spray places

Using an old/dirty/over used waxing applicator causes the vast majority of your swirl marks. Think about it. A swirl is in a circular pattern. You apply wax in that manner. Are you using the duster in a circular motion? No.

I use one all the time and don't have an issue.

Rubbing anything against your paint will cause marring. Anyone who says it's good for the paint is lying to you. How much marring you're comfortable with is up to you. Personally I use an ONR solution and a 400gsm microfiber towel (the pluffle from the rag company) and no pressure.

Rubbing anything against your paint will cause marring. Anyone who says it's good for the paint is lying to you. How much marring you're comfortable with is up to you. Personally I use an ONR solution and a 400gsm microfiber towel (the pluffle from the rag company) and no pressure.
The California Car Duster is very soft material, infused with oil. The oil picks up the dust, and very little pressure is applied.

The California Car Duster is very soft material, infused with oil. The oil picks up the dust, and very little pressure is applied.

And that oil never wears? My statement still stands. Not to mention one tiny rock getting stuck on one of the threads can give you a world of scratches. These things are as bad as the chamois or plastic blades they sell at car shows.

And that oil never wears? My statement still stands. Not to mention one tiny rock getting stuck on one of the threads can give you a world of scratches. These things are as bad as the chamois or plastic blades they sell at car shows.
Yeah I usually use mine to dust off my gravel sidewalk first, that way there a good chance for a rock.[smoking]