Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

4x100 Conversion

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I did the 4x100 conversion this weekend and wanted to share my thoughts and process. I'm happy with the results but mis-stepped a couple of times so, hopefully, this will help the next 4x100 FiST conversion go a little more smoothly.

There are a number of different ways to convert, depending upon the tools that you have, your budget, and your core strength.

1) Drill the hubs and rotors while they're on the car. This, in theory, is the easiest. Buy a template off of eBay for $120, grab a bad-ass 1/2" drill motor, and go to town. The reality is that you should start doing planks right now, because it's a bitch. You'll have to lean into the drill with about 100# of force to make progress against the cast iron rotors and steel hubs for about 5-10 minutes per 1/4" pilot hole and 1-3 minutes per 1/2" final hole. Times 16. I do planks, a lot, and I gave up after the first wheel. Other's on this forum have said that drilling all of the hubs while on the car took them all day. I have much respect for them.
Tools required: 4x108 -> 4x100 Template, extra high-quality 1/4" and 1/2" bits, 1/2" drill motor, open end lug nuts (I think that the stock ones will bottom out, 949 Racing nuts worked perfectly for me), ibuprofen.

2) Pull the knuckles and drill the hubs on a drill press. This is what I ended up doing. It's still a day's work of work, but without the beat up hands and back. Pulling the front knuckle is a big 1 1/4 nut for the half shaft, two strut bolts, tie rod end, caliper, brake line mount, anti-lock sensor, and popping the knuckle off of the ball joint. Pulling the rear knuckles requires freeing both shocks to drop the sway arm, pulling out the springs, caliper, brake line mount, anti-lock sensor, and 4 knuckle bolts. Drilling the hubs is the same process except with a glorious tool called a drill press - sooooo much easier. Assembly is reverse of disassembly.
Tools required: 4x108 -> 4x100 Template, drill press, extra bits, metric socket set, 1 1/4" socket with 1/2" breaker bar and torque wrench (adjustable to 170 '#), tie-rod end tool, ball joint tool, jack and stands, open-ended nuts.

3) Buy a 4x100 conversion kit and install. These kits come with rotors and hubs drilled to 4x100. I don't really understand this option. You'll have to pull all of the knuckles in order to push out the old hubs and press in the new ones and, in the process, have to replace all of the wheel bearing, which are $40 a piece for decent ones. And, unless you have a hydraulic press, you'll have to have a shop do this for, say, $40 a corner. If you do have a hydraulic press, then you probably have a drill press, too, and you can use option 2 and save yourself the cost of 4 hubs, 4 rotors, 4 bearings, and whatever the machine shop charged you to drill the hubs and rotors.
Tools required: Same as Option 2, minus the drill press, add 4 wheel bearings, and a hydraulic press or a local shop.

My advice is, if you're patient, option 1, if you're not, option 2.

As far as studs go, I suppose that you could reuse the original stubs (I banged my out with a BFH and they looked no worse for wear). I used the ARP 100-7708 studs and they fit perfectly with the 949 lug nuts - just 1/2 of a turn showing past the end of the nut on the front and flush on the rear. There is no problem with installation on the front as there is a spot on the knuckle where you can slide the stud into the hub. The rears were much tighter because of the longer stud and larger head than the original. I had to convince them just a tad with a solid tap from my BFH but I could push the head past the knuckle with just a little bruising of the finish on the stud. I sat them by tightening them down with a couple of washers and a 12mm x 1.5 nut.

Slide on your center bore adaptor, mount your wheel (I chose the lovely 6UL in 17x8), repeat 3 times, and you're done. Do NOT sell your adaptor!! Why? Because you're going to need it every time you change your rotors, that's why. You're also going to have to find a 4x108 hub to use as a fixture for your 4x100 template, too, unless you used option 3, which means that you have 4 already..., which is good, because you've spent $600 more than anyone else doing the conversion. For those of you that don't have 4 extra 4x108 hubs, check eBay or a local junk yard - new from Ford is $34.

I did the conversion just to get access to the 6UL wheels. Having said that, there are a LOT more options in 4x100 than in 4x108, especially when you get past 7" in width. Anything that will fit a 4-lug Miata will now, likely, work with your FiST and there are lots of well maintained used Miata A/C wheel sets available.

It's a day of work with tools that most gear-head garages already have. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Attachments

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great write up!

Wheels look damn fine as well!

I was the first to do this and had a machine shop drill everything so I had to press out the hubs but all the bearings were just fine, I made the tools to do this.

I would do number 2 if I had to do it again!!!

NOTE: Rotors are hub centric and have slightly bigger holes than the studs, you can just mark, punch, drill on a drill press or could even do them on the ground if good with tools without the jig so you could sell it. If the holes are not in the perfect location just drill the holes a bit bigger, not a problem.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
I was the first to do this and had a machine shop drill everything so I had to press out the hubs but all the bearings were just fine, I made the tools to do this
But the outside race stayed with the hub, correct? If you're using new hubs you'd still need a new bearing set unless you can figure out how to get the outside race off the old hub without damaging it.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I used the same hubs so did not have to deal with the races.

One could work out a way to lock down the hubs in the knuckles and then drill the new holes, might take a bit of effort to do so but it would save the pulling trouble and potential ruined bearings.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
One could work out a way to lock down the hubs in the knuckles and then drill the new holes, might take a bit of effort to do so but it would save the pulling trouble and potential ruined bearings.
I ran my drill press nice and slow, used plenty of cutting oil, held onto the rotor with a gloved hand, and backed off as I felt the bit cut through. No problems at all.

One more thing to mention. If someone ever does drill their hubs while on the car, just realize the rear studs won't fit easily without clearence problems. To get your studs to fit in a 4x100 pattern, you will need to do some grinding. There simply isn't enough room to push them back in without the head of the studs hitting the wheel bearing assembly. I ran out of patience to find a proper solution and chose to slightly grind the stud head, which I don't recommend.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I did not have the ARP studs when I did my 4x100 conversion and ran into that issue but there was plenty of material on the knuckles so I clearanced them just enough with a sanding disk so no stress risers left to lead to a crack later on, worked just fine.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
One more thing to mention. If someone ever does drill their hubs while on the car, just realize the rear studs won't fit easily without clearence problems. To get your studs to fit in a 4x100 pattern, you will need to do some grinding. There simply isn't enough room to push them back in without the head of the studs hitting the wheel bearing assembly. I ran out of patience to find a proper solution and chose to slightly grind the stud head, which I don't recommend.
Was there not enough room to get a big drift on the head of the stud and gently tap it past the knuckle? I was able to do this with the knuckle in a vise, but I'm not sure if the mounting flanges on the rear axel would have gotten in the way if I hadn't pulled the knuckles off the car.

I did option 2 and bought all the parts. I originally was going to drill them myself but then realized that I had like 32 opportunities to mess up and have it done. I did get really good at pressing in bearings. Once when I forgot a C clip and twice when I had to swap knuckles because the parts house sold me regular ST knuckles.

Well worth it when all was said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there not enough room to get a big drift on the head of the stud and gently tap it past the knuckle? I was able to do this with the knuckle in a vise, but I'm not sure if the mounting flanges on the rear axel would have gotten in the way if I hadn't pulled the knuckles off the car.
Yeah the mounting flanges and brake shield on the rear axle all get in the way. The front hubs were very easy though.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
I did option 2 and bought all the parts. I originally was going to drill them myself but then realized that I had like 32 opportunities to mess up and have it done. I did get really good at pressing in bearings. Once when I forgot a C clip and twice when I had to swap knuckles because the parts house sold me regular ST knuckles.
So you bought all new parts, drilled the hubs and rotors, pressed them into new knuckles and mounted them? I was lazy (and cheap) and just drilled the hubs and hats/rotors without pressing them out of the knuckles. I just clamped the knuckle into my drill press vice and hung onto the edge of the rotor while drilling.

I bought the hubs and rotors from gunrunner on this forum. Quality of work was excellent. I basically just wanted to have everything set up so I could just swap knuckles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about doing this for my FiST as well. I have a question on future rotors why not buy some that are already drilled out to 4x100 as a ton of car run that wouldn't it be easier to already buy rotors that are already 4x100 and not have to drill future rotors?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
You would be very lucky to find the right rotors, thickeness, diameter, hat offset, hub clearance and center bore diameter all have to match up.

It is not hard to drill new rotors, drill press is easier but a regular drill can work, Habor Frieght has a nice little bench top drill press for $59 or so, I have one, and a really big floor standing unit as well as a middle size unit and am very happy with the quality for the price on all of them.

Great write up, having access to the 4x100 market will do wonders. Doesn't seem like an over-the-top process if you are familiar with what you are doing and have the right tools/connections. Looks great on those wheels!

Im going to bump this thread as I am thinking about going 4x100. I want to do option 2 as much as I think I could badass them into option 1 I know myself and I will get pissed and frustrated 2 lugs in. Are specialty tools needed to remove the hubs and put them back on? and I agree with the post above are there any writeups with pics?

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #18
Im going to bump this thread as I am thinking about going 4x100. I want to do option 2 as much as I think I could badass them into option 1 I know myself and I will get pissed and frustrated 2 lugs in. Are specialty tools needed to remove the hubs and put them back on? and I agree with the post above are there any writeups with pics?
You'll need a hydraulic press to push the hubs off the knuckles. I didn't bother.

If I were to switch to 4x100, every time I needed new rotors they would need to be redrilled right? Or just find 4x100 rotors that fit? This is my only concern now if I go 4x100

If I were to switch to 4x100, every time I needed new rotors they would need to be redrilled right? Or just find 4x100 rotors that fit? This is my only concern now if I go 4x100
Bringing this back from the dead, but for any that have done the conversion - can I just use any rotor originally for any 4x100 car now ? Thanks.