Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST Died Randomly & Won't Start

Chris G

Car: 2014 FiST, 10800 miles, no engine mods beyond a symposer delete. There is a half tank of Chevron 91 Oct in the car. Just recently completed my 10k service at the dealer. Absolutely no issues up until this point beyond a noisy transmission.

Story: Had something incredibly bizarre happen today. I was entering the freeway, came to a stop on the on-ramp, accelerated and the car bogged down really bad. I left off the gas for a second and then tried to accelerate again. No dice. I was lucky enough to putter over to the shoulder and the car immediately died.

I noticed the oil pressure and battery lights on the dash but no CEL. I attempted to restart the car once but had no luck. It sounded like it wanted to turn over but wouldn't start. My first thought was not good given what I know about oil lights, but I checked the oil, coolant, etc. and everything looks ok to the naked eye. There were no puddles or leaks under the car when it sat there for awhile waiting for the tow.

I received a tow to my local dealer (who unfortunately is closed over the holiday weekend) and tried to give it another crank. The car DID fire, but died immediately. The same dash lights appeared - still no CEL.

Any ideas? Should I PM Ford Service? I'm honestly at a loss but am hopeful the dealership will find the issue and repair it. Hoping that it is not something serious, too.

Help?!?

koozy

3000 Post Club
first thought is to check ground cable connection off the battery. there's also a potential fuel pump recall, so it may be the fuel pump that died.

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #3
I did check the battery connections to make sure everything looked like it was hooked up - nothing that was glaring there.

I was unaware of the fuel pump 'issue'... perhaps that is it. Now that I think about it, it did sort of feel like the car just hit a brick wall and lost fuel. I've run out of gas before and it sort of felt like that. I am unsure how the oil pressure light would trigger because of that though?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Oil pressure is a kill switch in most cars today.
The car will start but if oil pressure is not seen by the computer fuel is cut off.

There are a number of things that could possibly cause this so it is foolish to speculate.
You have it at the dealership, it is just unfortunate that it is the beginning of a holiday weekend.

Try to enjoy the weekend as best you can.

Dave

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #8
That would certainly be the best case scenario in my mind.

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #10
I'll most definitely update as I hear more. My dealer (smaller dealer in the area) is closed all weekend for the holiday so I won't hear ANYTHING until Tuesday.

rexdriver85

In to see the outcome. Good luck buddy. [emoji106] I'd ask your build date but the car is at the dealer, haha.

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #18
Rex - any more info on that? I had not heard about the recall until I did some searching once I got home after dropping my car off.

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #19
Nevermind - for those interested... here's what it says on Fords site. My car would fall smack dab in the middle of the Fiesta build dates.

'Affected vehicles include certain Ford Focus vehicles built October 26, 2013 ? May 22, 2014 at Michigan Assembly Plant; certain Ford Edge vehicles built April 30, 2014 to May 21, 2014 at Oakville Assembly Plant; certain Ford Escape vehicles built Feb. 14, 2014 to March 7, 2014 at Louisville Assembly Plant; certain Ford Transit Connect vehicles built Nov. 11, 2013 to Aug. 29, 2014 at Valencia Assembly Plant; and certain Ford Fiesta vehicles built April 10, 2014 to June 17, 2014 at Cuautitl?n Assembly Plant.'