Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Remove stock exhaust without cutting?

I have a catback on the way and would like to remove the stock exhaust without cutting in case I decide to switch back. I was planning on removing the lower shock mounts on the rear and letting the axle drop, would that give me enough clearance? Anyone try it?

Yes. It can be done like that. It is a pain in the ass dont try to do it on the ground. You need alot of angle to get the exhaust out.

or if you do cut it, don't do it with a crappy $4 hacksaw from walmart. 30 minutes last night cutting from the bottom upward, and i only got halfway through lol

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
or if you do cut it, don't do it with a crappy $4 hacksaw from walmart. 30 minutes last night cutting from the bottom upward, and i only got halfway through lol
I know around here i can go to a retailer(Canadian Tire for us Canucks) and borrow an exhaust cutter tool. Makes a nice clean cut. Be careful the cut is sharp.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I pulled mine in one piece about a year ago, I do not think it could be done without a lift and even then by myself it was a pain in the butt.

Later I sold it and had to cut it into three sections for shipping so I wish I had just cut it out anyway:)

I do not know how long a band clamp will work but they at least make a good temp solution, I have used them on race cars while developing the car and having to take the exhaust off often, once done with development I would weld on V-bands as easier to work with and more reliable overall I am sure, cost a bit though.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
I know around here i can go to a retailer(Canadian Tire for us Canucks) and borrow an exhaust cutter tool. Makes a nice clean cut. Be careful the cut is sharp.

Hmm, I just called Partsource, they apparently don't loan these. Will call Canadian Tire as well - thanks for the heads up, would be good to have if I decide to just cut it off.

If necessary I have a good sawzall that completed the job in about 30 seconds.

After doing the Walmart hacksaw a few times on other cars I broke down and got proper gear. Worth it.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I did this over a year ago. The stock exhaust was cut to install a 55mm coupler on it, to make it a reasonable bolt-on affair. I'm still running the stock exhaust.

Last edited:
I've done both angle grind and sawzall... I'll take the sawzall all day every day for exhaust.

I've had my project car's exhaust put together with band clamps for about 4 years. they've been on and off probably a dozen times. never an issue. they work great,

anticon

I feel like you could make enough room by pulling the bolts on the rear shocks and lowering the rear crossmember down and pull the resonator through there. It was pretty easy to pull those rear shocks when replaced them. It might be worth a shot.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I feel like you could make enough room by pulling the bolts on the rear shocks and lowering the rear crossmember down and pull the resonator through there. It was pretty easy to pull those rear shocks when replaced them. It might be worth a shot.
Actually thats what we did with mine. Net Result I have a 1k mile Factory exhaust complete uncut lol.