Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FearTheSnail's ST

jeff

2000 Post Club
Well I did a thing. I ordered a smaller turbo. Not much smaller, but it should be a good change from what is on there.

Current Turbo: GTX2867r with if I remember correct .64ar Tial Exhaust Housing

New Turbo: Gen 2 GTX2860r with .52ar Tial Exhaust Housing

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/mercha...oduct_Code=GRT-TBO-754&Category_Code=GG2-2860

I need to figure out what I am going to do for fueling. When I was in Idaho I had access to e85 and would mix it for an e50 mix. Unfortunately e85 is not available where I am at here in Montana. I could order e98 by the barrel or I could find another fueling solution.
Hey man.

First, great build, props to you.

Sorry to hear about your engine issue, that seems like a drastic measure (new engine/turbo) because of a possibly stuck plug, but good luck. Were there any other issues leading you to swap the engine/turbo?

You might enjoy race gas concentrate as an alternative to ethanol or meth injection....check out my review here, I love this stuff, it yields results comparable to ethanol or WMI, maybe it will be a good option for you.

OP
FearTheSnail
Thread Starter #142
Hey man.

First, great build, props to you.

Sorry to hear about your engine issue, that seems like a drastic measure (new engine/turbo) because of a possibly stuck plug, but good luck. Were there any other issues leading you to swap the engine/turbo?

You might enjoy race gas concentrate as an alternative to ethanol or meth injection....check out my review here, I love this stuff, it yields results comparable to ethanol or WMI, maybe it will be a good option for you.
There were several things that led me to a new engine & turbo. I paid $1,350 shipped to my door for the engine with 2,500 miles on it. If I was to try to remove the plug and it shears off in the head, I will have to pull the head and have a machine shop properly fix the threads. After the threads were fixed I would have to pay someone to re-time the engine so that it ran correct. By that time I would be nearing the same cost as what I paid for the low mile doner engine.

With that said.... There are a few things I am not sure I have ever mentioned here.

I have towed the car home twice due to issues caused by my install with the Stratified Aux Fuel and waiting too long to change the plugs. The first tow home was caused by the Posi-Taps that were included with the aux fuel kit. I tightened them too much onto the wiring in the car going to the spark plugs. This ended up cutting the wire and making it so one or more of the plugs weren't providing any spark. When this happened the car flooded and I had to tow it home due to how much fuel was in the cylinders. I ended up removing the Posi-Taps and soldering the system directly into my wiring harness. The second tow home was caused by me not changing the plugs every oil change like was recommended to me by DHM. The plugs had around 7,000 miles on them I am guessing, they were 2 step colder Denso ITV24's. The Denso's seemed to decay in performance faster than the NGK plugs do. It was about -2 degrees fahrenheit, the car was pushing ~36psi of boost on the GTX2867. I did a wide open pull 2nd-3rd gear and midway through 3rd the car just gave out and wouldn't respond when the throttle was pressed. I coasted the car and pulled off the side of the road. Pulled plugs, once again, lots and lots of fuel in the cylinders. I am guessing this time was caused by a mixture of the old plugs and the cold temps. I pulled plugs, let the cylinders air out for awhile, put new plugs in, went out and did some more pulls, no more issue.

Now... The big one.... I told DHM to push my car past where they felt it was safe. This was done on both 91 octane, 110 octane leaded fuel, and when I was running an e85 mixture. The car was perfectly capable of an 11 second 1/4 mile pass on the stock fuel system. Was it safe? No. The car has failed a leak down test for a long long time. With a borescope it appears like piston 4 has damage of some sort.

October 4th, 2015 - This is the night I believe that the damage to the engine happened. There was no aux fuel for this, the car was leaning out hard, I was running 110 octane leaded fuel. I might be able to find a v-dyno that shows AFR for the tune if I look hard enough.
[video=youtube;piMklOfI0g8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piMklOfI0g8[/video]

Shortly after this we put aux fuel on the car and I was able to run an 11.9 in the 1/4 mile. The tune had not changed, we just had extra fuel so the car was not running so lean.

Winter of 2015 DHM worked on the ethanol tune with the aux fuel. There were some issues with the tuning on the car, we couldn't get the turbo to spool up as early as it should be. DHM sent me a leak down and compression tester. Hooked it up to the car and crap. Cylinder 4 failed the leak down bad. Compression wasn't where it should be either. After this the next track season DHM continued to push my car, they warned it could go at any time with the issues I was having, I told them go ahead. All other 11 second passes and I would guess ~75 made at Firebird after there were done with the car in this condition. The car made 400whp, it spooled late, every now and then I had some odd knock, but it wouldn't die. The car is still running with these issues and I drive it to work every day. I am guessing the car had ~25,000 miles on it when the issues started and it now has a little over 65,000 miles.

Hopefully that explains the engine.

As for the turbo. My wife and I moved to Montana in May this year. I no longer have access to e85 as I have stated elsewhere here. This basically limits how much power the car can make. With how the turbo responds on the hurt block I reach ~20psi at 4,300rpms. By going to a smaller gen 2 Garrett turbo and the .52 ar exhaust housing I am hoping that we can get 20psi of boost down to 3,000 rpms. That would equate out to 1,300 rpms more of usable power band than what I had before. I want to get a meth kit or some other fuel solution so that I can make 360-380whp and call it a day.

Writing this out I plan on removing the Stratified Aux Kit from my car when I swap out the engine. I ordered a new wiring harness in case I caused any issues when soldering the kit into the original wiring harness.

OP
FearTheSnail
Thread Starter #143
Proof that it was towed:
21761512_10210266461402182_96543741254647898_n.jpg
Proof of 2nd tow home. MazdaSpeed3 tow truck:
photo_2017-01-14_12-44-24.jpg

May of 2017 a deer ran into the side of the car AKA I hit it... This is repaired now.
photo_2017-06-29_09-59-00.jpg
photo_2017-06-29_09-18-24.jpg

Last edited:
OP
FearTheSnail
Thread Starter #145
I know it's co$tly, but are you considering Strat's 4 injector PORT system once it's available?
The price wouldn't be an issue. The issue would be the fuel choices I have. The best I can get here is 91 octane. At 300whp, where the stock fuel system starts to choke, you can't really get much more out of 91 octane at that point.

OP
FearTheSnail
Thread Starter #148
That setup looks familiar, lol. I'm hitting 20 psi at 3400, high elevation. You won't be disappointed. I'm stuck with 91 as well, but meth injection has been working great.
What does your vdyno look look? Also were you on a .52 ar exhaust housing? I am right at 3000ft elevation here in Montana.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Changing spark plugs every oil change....why? This seems ludicrous as alot of spark plugs today are self cleaning as they get hotter. It just seems excessive that's all. And I'm curious

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
FearTheSnail
Thread Starter #152
Changing spark plugs every oil change....why? This seems ludicrous as alot of spark plugs today are self cleaning as they get hotter. It just seems excessive that's all. And I'm curious

I thought the same thing. However, if they weren't changed I would start to get spark blow out. This only started happening when we put the 3.5 bar map sensor in the car and boost was turned up to 36psi.

The couple times I didn't change them I had just re-gapped them when I changed the oil.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I thought the same thing. However, if they weren't changed I would start to get spark blow out. This only started happening when we put the 3.5 bar map sensor in the car and boost was turned up to 36psi.

The couple times I didn't change them I had just re-gapped them when I changed the oil.
What is the gap being set to?

OP
FearTheSnail
Thread Starter #156
And you're having blowout? Jesus that gap is tight...maybe it's the plug choice.

Could be an issue caused by how the aux was soldered in. I ordered a new wiring harness for the engine swap.

Not likely as I was getting spark...

It was odd, if I got over 4,000 miles on the plugs the car would start running different.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Could be an issue caused by how the aux was soldered in. I ordered a new wiring harness for the engine swap.

Not likely as I was getting spark...

It was odd, if I got over 4,000 miles on the plugs the car would start running different.
How much was an engine?