Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boomba Racing Catch Cans

Trader history for Boomba Racing (0)

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #106
How often will these need to be emptied?
This is going to be one of the largest capacity cans on the market, nearly 350 ml, so we are trying to make it as user friendly as possible. With that being said, how often these will need to be emptied will vary a lot based on the climate you live in, how you drive your car, the time of year, and your type of oil.

Awesome. Thanks...

I've never had a catch can setup, but I know they're important on these engines.

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #110
Many people have been asking why a catch can is needed, let me try to sum it up in the easiest way possible.

All cars, turbocharged or not suffer from something called blow-by. Blow-by is excess oil pressure that makes it through the factory PCV system and gets routed back into your intake where it can make its way onto your intake valves. Over time the valves become gunked up with oil and carbon deposits. With normal fuel injected motors this wasn't as big of a deal because the fuel injectors would spray the valves during combustion, hence cleaning them a little. However on modern cars like the Fiesta ST which are direct injected, the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder for a cleaner and more efficient burn. The problem with this is that the valves are no longer being cleaned by the spray from the injectors. So now excess oil vapor is being sucked back into your intake, your valves are getting coated, and your car is not running efficiently.

Here is where the catch can comes into play. By using a catch can that mounts in-line with the PCV system, it will trap that oil vapor that would have otherwise made it into your intake. Our catch can is going to be one of the largest on the market, so customers will not have to be bothered with emptying the car very often.

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #113
Could you describe the baffle used for this can or better yet, post pictures? Thanks!
The outlet port on this catch can uses a two-step filtration system to prevent oil vapor from escaping the can.

I'll try to get some pictures.

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #115
This will be my first project on my very new FiST. Cant wait. Our engines will really benefit from this. I am excited to be part of the fiesta world. Im Ryan.
Hey Ryan, welcome to the Fiesta world!

You're really going to enjoy this car. Whether you keep it stock or go crazy with mods,you will find this to be a very fun car! If you ever have any questions about our products, please let us know!

Hey boomba ,
Thanks for the welcome .
I already love my FiST.
Does the catch can offer any other benefits than catching vapors? I read apost about VENTING TO ATMOSPHERE from the valve cover? Was wondering besides the can itself has there been any other projects or ideas you guys have to combat the carbon issue?

Thx
-Ryan in Michigan, GO BLUE-TIGERS

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Hey boomba ,
Thanks for the welcome .
I already love my FiST.
Does the catch can offer any other benefits than catching vapors? I read apost about VENTING TO ATMOSPHERE from the valve cover? Was wondering besides the can itself has there been any other projects or ideas you guys have to combat the carbon issue?

Thx
Sorry to interject but the catch can catches oil that would otherwise go back through the intake and build up on your valves causing you to lose power and mpgs. This is especially true with direct injection engines, which is why a catch can is an important upgrade for longevity. Hope that helps

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Hey boomba ,
Thanks for the welcome .
I already love my FiST.

Thx
Venting the valve cover would make having a catch can useless. The vacuum created by the intake manifold is what pulls the vapors out from the crankcase. The system has to be sealed.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Sorry to interject but the catch can catches oil that would otherwise go back through the intake and build up on your valves causing you to lose power and mpgs. This is especially true with direct injection engines, which is why a catch can is an important upgrade for longevity. Hope that helps
This is true, but the OEM setup already has a catch and return. The majority of oil from vapors are already being caught and recycled, which is why most OCC users don't necessarily catch a 'lot' of fluid. An additional catch-can(s) will just improve on it.
Venting the valve cover would make having a catch can useless. The vacuum created by the intake manifold is what pulls the vapors out from the crankcase. The system has to be sealed.
Also, this ^.

True to an extent. Not to get totally off topic, but the CFM Valve Cover breather does take this into account. It has a check ball that closes off the VTA under vacuum. So, precisely when the PCV system is engaged (under vacuum) is when the breather is closed, allowing vapors to be sucked out. Then, when the crankcase is pressurized and the PCV valve closes, the check ball opens up to let the crankcase VTA.