Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OMP pedal set - Heel-Toe Goodness

UPDATE: The best solution I found for optimal heel-toe is to use a pedal set with a 1/4" throttle spacer and a 1 3/4" inch separation between throttle and brake pedals. This works for me - YMMV.

I've been contemplating the various throttle pedal spacer offerings on the market with the hopes of improving the terrible positioning of the pedals for Heel-Toe. The problem is that most of them simply raise the throttle pedal without moving it closer to the brake pedal.

What I wanted did not seem to be offered with any of the adapters;

1. Move the pedal higher but not the 38mm or 1 1/2 inches that seems to be the common offering. Under threshold braking, I think that's too high. You'd end up with the throttle being higher than the brake.
2. Move the throttle pedal much closer to the brake. I want to have my foot solidly on the brake and be able to roll my ankle to blip the throttle with the side of my foot. The stock spacing is so far apart that I barely have the edge of my foot on the brake if I want to blip the gas. Not very secure feeling.

I decided that the best solution for me would be to get a pedal set and fabricate some spacers.

I bought a OMP OA1000 3-pedal set from www.425motorsports.com for $35. I also had some scrap 1/4" polyethylene that I used for spacers. This is the same as cutting board material and is easy to cut with woodworking tools.

I first removed the throttle pedal assembly. It's held on by 2, 13mm bolts. Push the tab on the wire connector to remove it. I then drew a rough outline of the pedal assembly on the plastic, cut it out, and drilled 2 holes. 5 minutes for a spacer. 1/4" is about as far as you can go with a spacer using the stock stud and nut. If you want to go thicker, you will need to find stud extensions or drill out the stud and replace it with a longer bolt.

Next, I made a spacer to place between the OMP throttle pedal and the stock throttle pedal. This combination would give me a 3/4" lift, 1/4" from each spacer and about 1/4" from the OMP pedal. If I find it's too much lift with full threshold braking, I can remove one or both of the spacers.

You can see from the photo, the bolt holes lined up so the nuts fit in the spaces in the throttle without cutting up the reinforcements.

Once I put it all together, I got a 3/4" lift and my throttle pedal is now 1 1/2 inches from the brake. The stock spacing was about 3 inches. An added bonus is the brake pedal now feels much more substantial. I never liked the feel of that tiny pedal pressing into the ball of my foot. Now, most of my foot is solidly planted on the brake and I only have to roll my foot a little bit to blip the throttle - perfect!

An interesting item came with the OMP pedals; It stated that ECE 35.1 suggests a minimum pedal spacing of 50mm and a maximum spacing between brake and throttle of 100mm. That's roughly 2" and 4" I'm assuming that ECE is a European standard since these pedals are made in Italy. If you have driven a late model European car that has nice heel-toe spacing, you can probably assume that it has a 2" spacing between throttle and brake. If mine turns out to be too close, I'll move them apart another 1/2". If I make any changes after being on the track, I'll let you know. Thanks.

Last edited:
I really like this idea! I hadn't thought about moving the throttle closer to the brake. 1.25" might be too close for me, but it looks like this setup allows you to play with that. Definitely can't stand the stock heel-tow capabilities. I am surprised that it is so bad considering everything else Ford did to the car to make it a better drivers car.

meFiSTo

I used those pedals with my SVT Focus. They definitely helped. Something to think about now that the Auto Blipper is not an option. Maybe think about a lower insert than the one I stuck in there from ModBargains. There's always something.

OP
E
Thread Starter #4
To get the pedal heights right, look what I removed...

With the spacers, at anything but very light braking, the throttle pedal was higher than the brake. Without the spacers, it's just right. Just slightly below the height of the brake pedal. Also, I think the 50mm spacing between pedals would be optimal for most people.

If you're interested in threshold braking at the track with heel-toe downshifts, then the factory got the height spacing right. I don't understand at all why people buy these 38mm lift adapters. For me, it would totally screw things up. But, that's just my opinion [dunno]

Last edited:
What is threshold braking and why would stock pedals be better for that? I have found it tricky to heel toe (probably due to my own skill level) so I kinda end up just getting off the brake for a split second to blip the gas.
Your pedal arrangement looks like it would make it a lot better.

OP
E
Thread Starter #6
Threshold braking is maximum braking which occurs with a small amount of slip and right before ABS activation.

http://www.drivingfast.net/track/threshold-braking.htm

It may seem strange, but tires generate their maximum grip when there is a small amount of slip. This even happens with cornering when the car "rotates" with the tires pointing at a small angle away from the actual direction of travel. That's the slip angle and shows that the tires are generating maximum grip.

To learn more, you can google "traction circle" and "tire slip angles". There's also a good book entitled "Drive to Win" by Carroll Smith that has an extensive discussion of these topics.

But, don't try this at home. At least, not on the street. Learning the limits of tire adhesion should only be done on the track.

Here's an intro;

[video=youtube;BfXiJ-m3wc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfXiJ-m3wc4[/video]

Thanks for the info ericr, I had no idea! Very interesting the physics of cars..
I doubt I'll be getting into threshold braking, but I might have to look into these pedals, just to blip into 2nd to take a corner now and again. :D

Siestarider

I also tried various spacers, etc and found this pedal combo just the way ericr installed it to be outstanding. Larger brake pedal feels very good in threshold braking, spacing to throttle being adjustable works great, and best of all for me, I set the clutch pedal just a little lower than stock, so pedal bottom lip hits floor mat at full clutch disengagement, so now clutch takes up sooner, easier for me personally to drive, and slightly quicker shifts with less clutch pedal travel.

Be warned that install is torture if you have a bad back. Merely pita if your back is good. Now that its done, one of my favorite mods.

OP
E
Thread Starter #9
So after a couple months and many heel-toe downshifts, this is what I ended up doing;

I added the 1/4 inch spacer back in behind the throttle assembly.

I removed the spacer from behind the throttle pedal and moved the pedal to the right and down a bit from the photo. I now have 1 3/4 inch spacing from brake to throttle. Just right for me.

I highly recommend this mod. This and a shifter extension have been my favorite mods.

can show how you install the OMP pedal attach on stock pedal? does drill require?