Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people test drove the Focus ST but ended up getting the Fiesta ST?

How many people test drove the Focus ST but ended up getting the Fiesta ST?

• I did

Votes: 152 59.4%
  • I didn't

Votes: 104 40.6%

• Total voters
Brother in law has a focus st, he let me drive it couple of times. It's quick, but I just don't like the size of it, doesn't feel as sporty. It did however convince me to get the Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost and I been enjoying that.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Test drove FoST after the FiST. The 2016 FiST I purchased is different from the original 2016 FiST I test drove. (room for full-size spare being one thing)

FoST Positives relevant to FiST:
Better clutch and shifter feel.
Priced much lower than my FiST.
Better 1st-gear torque for take-offs.
Stays out of turbo longer.
Room for full-sized spare.
Anticipating an easier time finding *quality* parts over the 15-20 year long-term outlook.
Better interior control layout.

FoST Negatives:
Prominent engine vibration.
Forum complaints about direct-injection clogging on a regular basis. (like the VW Jetta)
Flat-spotted tire. (easily remedied of course)
Bouncy ride/suspension on certain roadways.
Lower mileage.
Larger. (as a factor)

I might've actually gone with the FoST if the there another at the same price, color, wheels, if there weren't so many complaints about the direct-injection getting dirty on the 2.0L turbo. That particular FoST I test drove had worrisome engine and suspension issues. The dealer didn't seem to care one iota... about the issues with that vehicle or finding me the car I wanted; unless it was on their lot. Went to a different dealer who was interested in fetching me exactly what I was looking for, rather than just selling me whatever was on their lot.

I'm 6'6" (215 lbs) and was wondering if you (fellow tall person) have the recaro's and sunroof? Just wondering if I can get comfortable in it....I'm overseas and don't have access to sit in one at the present. Also if you've sat in the Focus ST and GTI....the Fiesta actually has the most headroom of the 3 according to the specs.

I did not get to drive a FoST, really wanted to and I really like the idea of a slightly bigger vehicle (for more room, have two kids). Also like a lot of small things about the FoST better, mainly the front end and the center exit exhaust...I've always loved the center exhausts on the Mini Cooper S, R32, FoST, Veloster, etc. That being said, there wasn't one new locally and I'm impatient and got a good deal on my '16 FiST, and loved it when I drove it. I've said it before, but it reminds me a lot of a modernized version of my SVT Focus, which I absolutely loved and miss, but that car had it's gremlins (mine in particular had some electrical issues from the previous owners' shoddy stereo install and had a ghetto-fab eBay intake installed.

The car is so good as it is, All I want to do is wheels/tires, intake, charge pipes, and maybe a full exhaust (and the tune, of course). Might not even do the intake, but got to love the sound they give...

I'm 6'6" (215 lbs) and was wondering if you (fellow tall person) have the recaro's and sunroof? Just wondering if I can get comfortable in it....I'm overseas and don't have access to sit in one at the present. Also if you've sat in the Focus ST and GTI....the Fiesta actually has the most headroom of the 3 according to the specs.
I'm 6'4" and have the Recaros and Sunroof. Headroom is fine with what feels like a few inches to spare. The rear visibility, to be quite honest is shit (main mirror not side mirrors). To see a normal distance behind me I have to have the top half of the mirror aimed at the ceiling, then the other half is actually shows whats behind me.

If I could bring the mirror down an inch or two I'm sure it would be fine, but just the placement of the mirror, with my height makes it slightly difficult to see behind me. But thats really the only fault I have as far as size goes...actually thats really my only complaint with the car period.

Waterfan

I initially wanted a FiST because of price and it is powerful enough to keep the mod bug at bay. No one had any locally, but I ended up test driving a FoST and was sold on that. The price was a concern but when I found a dealer that had three new '14 ST3 FoSTs (and three '15 FoSTs), I figured hell I can get a deal on one of those for sure!

Needless to say that didn't happen, they wouldn't budge off 27.9 for an ST3 FoST. They also happened to have a CPO '14 FiST and I figured hell I like the car from what I've read I might as well test drive it.

And here I am. Other than it missing a few things that my 98 Passat had, I'm completely happy with my decision.
Small world. I replaced my beloved 1999 Passat 1.8T (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed Race/Bilsteins) with a 2014 CPO FiST too!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
After being on here for a little while BEFORE I even test drove either of the Ford hot hatches, I did not even bother to test drive the FoST, even though I like the way it looks, the wider, 5 lug, wheels/tires, and the indie rear suspension, but NOT the extra 300+ lbs./$6K. [nono]

I am actually afraid to test drive (IF that is even a possibility currently?) the FoRS, since I might then be motivated/compelled to sell some of my body parts, or commit grand larceny to get one! :(

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also like a lot of small things about the FoST better, mainly the front end and the center exit exhaust...I've always loved the center exhausts on the Mini Cooper S, R32, FoST, Veloster, etc.
+1

Besides not having a 2 door version available here in the states, that center mount exhaust is the only other thing I wish this car had aesthetically.
But I do wonder if those required for this style exhaust, extra bends off of the rear muffler would take away even the minutest amount of power, or not. [dunno]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I did actually go in to test drive the FoST, . It was not bad but did not feel quite sure footed coming out sweepers. I then jumped in a FiST for fun. I was not expecting it to be so fun. Right off the bat I was grinning. So connected so right there in comparison to the FoST.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I test drove the Focus, Fiesta, Ecoboost Mustang, and a bunch of other cars all in the same weekend after receiving a settlement check from Fiat. The Focus felt clumsy and compared to the Fiesta, though it had a nice surge of power. The interesting comparison, to me, was GTI to Focus - the Focus felt a little more sporty, but internally felt pretty claustrophobic. I don't know how GTI can take roughly the same sized package and feel so capacious while the Focus feels like a coffin. The fiesta actually felt roomier than the focus, maybe it's just because it feels less cockpit-like. If I had been comparing Focus and GTI for daily driver duties, the GTI would have won, but Focus/GTI vs the Fiesta, the Fiesta won. If I had never test driven the fiesta, I wouldn't currently own a ford. The GTI would be a great all around car, if it weren't for having to deal with VW service. The last few VW's I've owned have been in the dealer quite a bit for stupid things like leaking weather seals, etc. which they can never replicate. (Not being able to replicate it doesn't stop me from getting soaked while driving in the rain.).

I will say this, if the FRS had the FiST's powerband I'd be driving a BRZ to work and back instead of a FiST.

Last edited:
Test Drive? I owned one ;) Purchased on 0% in 2015, actually wanted a Fiesta ST coming from a modded Fiesta SE that I LOVED, but they were MIA within a couple hundred miles of me at the time. Test drove the FoST and liked it pretty good, rims, random little bolts etc and really enjoyed the car. Got a wild hair and decided I was bored and really missed owning a Mustang so sold the FoST and picked up a 17 GT in February, slapped on a Corsa Extreme and a couple other little things, and once the new wore off in a couple months I started to realize I honestly just wasn’t happy. The coyote had plenty of power (obviously) but I never fell in love with the car dynamically. I put a decent down payment on the GT so I wasn’t upside down, and after a few more months I decided I was willing to write that down payment off as a rental fee and a lesson learned and get back to something that made me happy.

Been loving my FiST since I picked it up a couple months ago. Actually I was strongly considering the GTI or WRX, but the Fiesta had always been on my mind. Plus the news had come out about it being discontinued, I started to feel anxious about finding one like I wanted, unmolested etc, we had been out looking for a couple weeks and my wife was finally like ‘look, out of all the cars we’ve ever owned you enjoyed your Fiesta the most, just go buy the damn thing and stop dancing around it’. That was that.

All my friends and co workers think I’m nuts for trading ‘down’ from the super ‘cool’ GT to a Fiesta, but I’m all smiles.

I test drove a bunch of stuff before buying mine FiST including a FoST. I was actually looking for a 6 speed titanium focus originally, which the dealer had just sold the night before. They had a used FoST that I droved and really liked, but the numbers didn't work for me. I was looking at the beginning of November which is when they were discounting the left over 17's which is when I started looking at new cars. Ended up almost buying a new Fiesta se 6mt but it wasn't on the dealers lot and they were unwilling to bring it in unless I signed on it which I was unwilling to do on something I've never driven. I should probably mention that all this happened over a few days and in that time, they took in a FiST on trade in, which was a kona blue 16. Drove that and immediately decide that this was it. Numbers didn't make sense on it, so they ended up bringing in my 17 from a dealer 130 miles away.

Test Drive? I owned one ;) Purchased on 0% in 2015, actually wanted a Fiesta ST coming from a modded Fiesta SE that I LOVED, but they were MIA within a couple hundred miles of me at the time. Test drove the FoST and liked it pretty good, rims, random little bolts etc and really enjoyed the car. Got a wild hair and decided I was bored and really missed owning a Mustang so sold the FoST and picked up a 17 GT in February, slapped on a Corsa Extreme and a couple other little things, and once the new wore off in a couple months I started to realize I honestly just wasn’t happy. The coyote had plenty of power (obviously) but I never fell in love with the car dynamically. I put a decent down payment on the GT so I wasn’t upside down, and after a few more months I decided I was willing to write that down payment off as a rental fee and a lesson learned and get back to something that made me happy.

Been loving my FiST since I picked it up a couple months ago. Actually I was strongly considering the GTI or WRX, but the Fiesta had always been on my mind. Plus the news had come out about it being discontinued, I started to feel anxious about finding one like I wanted, unmolested etc, we had been out looking for a couple weeks and my wife was finally like ‘look, out of all the cars we’ve ever owned you enjoyed your Fiesta the most, just go buy the damn thing and stop dancing around it’. That was that.

All my friends and co workers think I’m nuts for trading ‘down’ from the super ‘cool’ GT to a Fiesta, but I’m all smiles.
funny, I also had a 17 GT. I find the FiST much more fun to drive.

I did test the FoST and unfortunately for it, AFTER I tested the FiST. I was not impressed in comparison.

When the FiST came out at the end of 2013, I went to test one. Unfortunately, I was upside down by too much on my then current Fiesta SE, so it was a no-go, but boy did that become my goal to own a FiST! So fall of 2016 it was finally time. At this point I was less sure about the FiST for pretty much one single reason: I wanted an AWD car. Since my car is a daily driver and winters sucks, I wanted something that feels much more fun during the winter. I tested the WRX (both the newer and older gen), which was good, but kinda missed a little something. I said to myself "Alright, let's try all of them and I'll decide afterwards". So I went to drive a GTI (both the newer and older gen), it was pretty good, but again it was missing a little something. I drove the FoST and this one felt just too big and clumsy*. And I went back to the FiST and everything was right in the world again.

The FiST is just a driver's car. One of the most amazing little piece of engineering ever for such a low low price, it's just crazy. I was able to snatch a 2014 FiST with 42000km for about the same price as a 2011 GTI with 80000km. It was not the color I wanted at first, but I got a good deal on it compared to other FiST that was on sale everywhere else, so I'll just wrap it eventually.

One thing for sure, after driving the competition, the FoST is just dead last for me. The WRX and GTI are head to head for me. Trade some luxury for AWD, I think is a fair trade off, it's a matter of preference at this point. The FoST just doesn't have anything against the competition.

Oh and used Ralliart are just so fucking expensive and auto only, so fuck them.

FiST>>>>WRX=GTI>FoST

I had a 120K mile test drive with the Oxford White FoST. Back in early 2013 my '02 Mazda Protege was getting on in age and had developed a seriously bad metal on metal grinding noise whenever I was in 1st 3rd or 5th gear. I'm still not sure what the problem was, but I didn't want to sink a ton a money into a car that was only worth about $2k. I wanted the FiST, but it wouldn't be available for several months. I resolved to purchasing the new FoST with the ST1 package, since I couldn't really shell out the money for the ST2 or ST3 at the time. It was a great car that served me well and I never had any significant issues with it.

I had been flirting with the idea of picking up a FiST after I passed 100k miles on the FoST, so I started casually looking at both new a low mileage ones. Three weeks ago I came across a CPO with only 800 miles on it. I thought it was too good to be true, but I decided to check it out. After questioning the sales associate in a lot of detail about the cars very short history, and checking CarFax, it turned out this wealthy old guy just buys cars from the dealership every few months and trades them back in when he gets bored with them. He checked off every option on the list other than the racing stripes, owned it for 4 months and then traded it back in for a Taurus SHO. I don't get it either, but his loss is my gain, since I got it for a great price.

I love this car. It feels so much more connected and nimble than the FoST, and makes it feel like a boat by comparison. The Recaro seats, which I sorely missed in the FoST, are excellent. Sure some of the econobox qualities of the Fiesta show through a bit, but I got this car to enjoy driving, not to be coddled in luxury. Certainly no buyer's remorse here.