Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A Ford Fiesta RS ??? - Rumors, Reports, and Discussion Thread

If ford does discontinue the fist after 16 , there's no way I'm selling it , it will be much more of a collectable car . Mabye a dumb question , does ford put the sales number on the fist , or is that not public info .
I'm not sure about the actual figures, but at least here in Southern California FiSTs don't stay on the lot more than a few days to a week or so. Most of the dealers around me sell them almost as soon as they get them. It must be different in other parts of the country, but I'd think that a FiRS would sell pretty well in SoCal.

GAbOS

I may get flamed here but give us the Euro Ranger. Ford needs a smaller truck in America even if it cuts into their F150 market.

The Fiesta ST is more than I imagined it to be as well as the rest of you. Having a ~2800lbs car hit the numbers we can on a stock turbo is impressive.

Had for low 20's!!

J2FoRS

I was looking forward to a FiRS but really FiRS doesn't sound as good as FiST. The forum would look dumb :p
No really though, I'm okay with that, I'll never get a FoRS because I think they are hella ugly and overpriced, but come spring my FiST will become my winter beater/DD/commuter anyways. Plus I got mine for pennies difference when trade in my last car due to a bunch of sexy slippery deals in place. I'll run her to the ground and see how long she lasts. :)

Obviously you know not very much about the automotive business as a whole. Performance Crossovers/SUVs are hot. GLA45, Macan Turbo, Cayenne GTS/Turbo S, X5M, X6M, GLE63, GL63, SQ5, Jeep SRT8.
^^ All of which I'd purchase over an Escape ST.

Considering the fact that the Focus and Escape/Kuga share the same global C1 platform, it makes pretty solid financial sense. They probably utilized the Escape to some degree while designing the FoRS drivetrain, and now all they have to do is re-fit the tested and completed drivetrain back into it and do some suspension tweaking. Add some Recaro's and some body tweaks and you've created appeal to the domestic performance-SUV market, which is pretty much wide-open in the lower income brackets.
If you guys want to talk about it from an economics perspective, I don't disagree; you are totally correct. In fact, Toyota did a great job, prior to the FRS, they had ditched every one of their performance cars and the Corolla XRS was the sportiest thing you could buy. With this uninspired lineup, they were number one in global sales.

My underlying point is that the SVT division should be about more than making a buck. Sure, it is an aspect of it... but making something worth driving is a big part of it too.

TheStig

I may get flamed here but give us the Euro Ranger. Ford needs a smaller truck in America even if it cuts into their F150 market.

The Fiesta ST is more than I imagined it to be as well as the rest of you. Having a ~2800lbs car hit the numbers we can on a stock turbo is impressive.

Had for low 20's!!
It would be smart for Ford, since GM is selling the new Colorado/Canyon (Now in Minty Diesel flavor!) like HOTCAKES. That truck is seriously, legitimately, awesome.

But somehow Ford who usually doesnt sell their trucks too far below MSRP (or list them too far below) is able to keep pace with smaller trucks.

Literally yesterday i cross shopped the 2016 Toyota Tacoma (Double cab, V6, 4x4, long bed) versus a similar set up Colorado/Canyon and also an F150 ecoboost (3.5 liter) 4x4 supercab moderately equipped. The Tacoma loaded is 40k, the F150 optioned the same is 40k with incentives and gets around the same MPG! The Colorado was a couple thousand less depending.

Back onto the FiRS topic, didnt we have pictures of a mule running around Europe that looked to be a Fiesta RS? Maybe they just determined it wasnt worth it, which is sad. Id love our car with an AWD system (even if it added 100 pounds) and a bit more juice.

I'm not sure about the actual figures, but at least here in Southern California FiSTs don't stay on the lot more than a few days to a week or so. Most of the dealers around me sell them almost as soon as they get them. It must be different in other parts of the country, but I'd think that a FiRS would sell pretty well in SoCal.
I think it probably is regional. Some places just have more of a car/tuner culture than others, and SoCal is one of those places.

^^ All of which I'd purchase over an Escape ST.
Well, I am no Ford fanboy (this being my first Ford product out of 10 cars), but I'm sure there are people out there that are and would purchase an Escape ST. And consider the fact that everything I listed starts at $48,000 with the GLA45 AMG. Nothing plays in the performance crossover space for under $40K. A $35K 300+hp Escape ST would fill a huge niche.

A $35K 300+hp Escape ST would fill a huge niche.
Completely agree, I think this would be kind of cool. Heck, I think an ST Explorer would also be cool. Ford is leading the way by offering a performance variant for almost all income levels. I can't think of any other manufacturer who's doing something similiar.

D3

Well, I am no Ford fanboy (this being my first Ford product out of 10 cars), but I'm sure there are people out there that are and would purchase an Escape ST. And consider the fact that everything I listed starts at $48,000 with the GLA45 AMG. Nothing plays in the performance crossover space for under $40K. A $35K 300+hp Escape ST would fill a huge niche.
I agree with you there, people looking at those other performance SUV's are not going to be cross shopping with an Escape ST

Still, for 35~40K you can get into something quite a bit nicer than an Escape with fairly good performance. The Acura RDX for instance is an entry level luxury SUV with 280hp giving it plenty of performance. It starts at 35K.

Personally I have an Audi Q5 2.0T as my daily driver. I picked it up during their spring promotional event, and even with the progressiv package it was still under 40K in US dollars. It does 0-60 in about 6.7s, has great handling and a wicked AWD system. If there was an Escape ST in existence back then, even if it offered better performance, I highly doubt I would have cross-shopped it. I have a hard time understanding the point of a performance SUV... especially if the luxury element of it is removed.

Anyway, I am sure it will still sell. Just disappointed in the direction SVT is taking by forgoing the Fiesta RS in favor of something that will end up being similar to a Caliber SRT4

My .02

We are too far along in the current production cycle of Fiesta for them to be doing something crazy like doing the R&D work on a possible production Fiesta RS. With the plans to kill the current design and go forward with a newer design somewhere in the next 2-3 years, it would be a poor business move on their part (although it'd be totally amazing for a one-year production run for us car guys.....just think of the appreciation!)

With that being said, it would also be pretty hard for the FiRS to NOT step on the toes of the FoRS. With us having the lighter chassis and, in my opinion, better handling chassis, the Fiesta would grab all those potential Focus owners who want essentially the same thing, but in a lighter package.

Then there is a third point, being that the Fiesta is simply not nearly as numerous as the Focus (from what I have seen....I don't know the actual production numbers). When I lived out in San Diego, I could come across another FiST at least once a week and the same applies for the FoST. However, after moving to Chicago I have yet to see one FiST here, while I have seen a plethora of FoSTs.

The good news is, if we are in that much smaller production numbers, keep your car rust-free and well-maintained and you should actually see some appreciation in value a number of years down the line.

My .02

We are too far along in the current production cycle of Fiesta for them to be doing something crazy like doing the R&D work on a possible production Fiesta RS. With the plans to kill the current design and go forward with a newer design somewhere in the next 2-3 years, it would be a poor business move on their part (although it'd be totally amazing for a one-year production run for us car guys.....just think of the appreciation!)

With that being said, it would also be pretty hard for the FiRS to NOT step on the toes of the FoRS. With us having the lighter chassis and, in my opinion, better handling chassis, the Fiesta would grab all those potential Focus owners who want essentially the same thing, but in a lighter package.

Then there is a third point, being that the Fiesta is simply not nearly as numerous as the Focus (from what I have seen....I don't know the actual production numbers). When I lived out in San Diego, I could come across another FiST at least once a week and the same applies for the FoST. However, after moving to Chicago I have yet to see one FiST here, while I have seen a plethora of FoSTs.

The good news is, if we are in that much smaller production numbers, keep your car rust-free and well-maintained and you should actually see some appreciation in value a number of years down the line.
Well said. I personally dont mind that there arent any tentative plans for a Fiesta RS. As I said above, I just hope they continue making the FiST as its an entirely different vehicle with entirely different experiences to offer.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Didn't ford say in an interview recently that there will be 7+ performance unveilings in the coming year or two?[rockon]...so When I hear some bad news I take it like a grain of salt.

I'm hoping the Escape ST gets fitted with the 2.7 that they currently put in the MKX. 330hp with 370wtq would be awesome in a lowered, suspension tuned, big brake, all wheel drive platform. With the factory CGI block, ARP headstuds, forged rods and pistons, bigger turbos, aux fueling, and a good tune I can see an easy 500whp/500wtq...

I vaguely remember hearing something about the "7+ performance offerings" too. I still consider Ford to be one of the most exciting car companies out there at the moment. They're very in touch with what the consumers want in terms of fun vehicles, so I can see them expanding upon the performance offerings again.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
No big shock at all. It would be a stretch to come up with a business plan for the Fiesta RS. There are only a few people in the world that would pay Focus ST prices for a Fiesta RS. It is hard enough to get people to buy the Fiesta ST over the Focus ST due to relative closeness in price and people go nuts over the advertised HP and size of the Focus ST. Fusion ST, Kuga ST (doubt Escape ST would happen, but you never know), and Mondeo ST would all make more sense than a Fiesta RS. There is broader appeal to larger vehicles and higher selling points than a super entry-level car that sells for the same price as the larger performance version.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
More Fiesta RS rumors

I don't know where the site gets it sources but I'll leave this here for anyone who wants to read it.

2016 Ford Fiesta RS Will Push You Over The Edge
Ford has revealed the new Ford Fiesta RS that will leave you surprised with what the car is capable of. The new model is said to be one of the 12 new performance models under Ford.

The RS version comes with 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine from Fiesta ST, and is able to go from 180 horsepower to 250 horsepower. That is more than enough for the Ford Fiesta RS to go 0-62 mph in 5.5 seconds.

Furthermore, the car will come with the refined four-wheel drive. It is likely that the Ford Fiesta RS will have similar system with the new Ford Focus RS, which can offer power slides with a ‘drift’ button. The car will need a help from the standard launch control and talon-like grip form the four-wheel-drive system.

We heard that Ford is putting a good price for the Ford Fiesta RS when the car is launched soon. We’ll have to wait for further updates from Ford to find out more about the new model.
http://motoringcrunch.com/news/2016-ford-fiesta-rs-will-push-you-over-the-edge/10016754/

Hard to imagine throwing AWD into a platform whose unibody is not designed for it, with a twist beam rear. I find it highly dubious Ford would go through the expense of changing major stampings to accommodate the couplings and developing a workable rear suspension for a very limited run of cars.
All this is assuming the article is referencing a Fiesta RS based on the car's current platform. If there is a major redo on the way that accommodates the layout requirements for the car described above, then all bets are off.