Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST Rollover Risk?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I like the part where he says "he heard of roll overs but could not produce and proof" the Pierce 6 point will remove most of the rear wheel lift in corners from what I have seen on my car.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #3
Yes, the article is very vague, and there is no source information. Hopefully those who actually autocross will have some feedback. I've autocrossed my FiST once (stock tires and suspension) and never felt like the car was a rollover risk. However, I'm not an experienced autocrosser.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I have seen two videos of a FoST and a FiST on two wheels but it was after a unique set of circumstances on the track and driver inputs. I have some pics of my car doing the high trike action in the corners and have seen a few fwd cars doing it.Pretty much the norm with fwd cars though.

In fairness, going way up on two wheels happens to us low cg SP cars as well. It is a certain series of bumps, undulations that really cause the issue versus just grip itself.

C. love

For what its worth when I first got that FIST (day 3 of ownership) i took it to a course and tried doing 4 wheel drifts with it. Which entailed a scandanavian flick at about 70mph. Car didnt roll or even feel unstable, didnt drift either lol. I did three wheel several times. I cant see these rolling unless the circumstances are just right

only pic i can find from that day that shows any wheels off the ground

Very interesting. A couple days ago I was talking to a salesman at a local (non Ford) dealership. When I mentioned to him that I had just bought an ST and was interested in autocross, the first thing he said was "Careful, I've heard those cars can rollover." I laughed and went about my day. But now this....

The car wont roll unless u do something very stupid. The regular fiesta is banned from stock class in SCCA autoX due to roll over issues, not the ST. The ST is lower to the ground and has lower cg. I three wheel daily just driving around and ive never had the issue of feeling like ill flip the car. No worries!

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #11
The car wont roll unless u do something very stupid. The regular fiesta is banned from stock class in SCCA autoX due to roll over issues, not the ST. The ST is lower to the ground and has lower cg. I three wheel daily just driving around and ive never had the issue of feeling like ill flip the car. No worries!
You tripod the car just daily driving? You must have some amazing roads, or big cojones!

Etyrnus

Did anyone notice the author mentioned the smaller diameter wheel/grippy tire combination? With an unmodified suspension, I could see that combination allowing more body roll due to the increased sidewall height. Just a thought.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thanks to more Meds, mine is more stiff then ever before.
It corners faster and harder with no flex at all.
I have taken friends for a ride and literally scared the hell out of them.

Dave

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thanks to more Meds, mine is more stiff then ever before.
It corners faster and harder with no flex at all.
I have taken friends for a ride and literally scared the hell out of them.
Dave
You whip that thing out and i'll go for a ride too Dave and I am already scared !!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Darn auto correct.
That was supposed to be Mods.

Dave

You tripod the car just daily driving? You must have some amazing roads, or big cojones!
Ha i wish that were true. No id say more like stupid. Its gonna bite me in the ass one day im sure i just cant help it. Its weird cuz u can feel it doing it. I didnt realize i was doing it on the street til a friend of mine was driving behind me and called me to tell me he thought something was wrong with my car due to the back wheels lifting a few times during some very hard cornering.

Then a guy in a Cayman said the same thing after chasing me down a back road by my house which has a tight 2nd gear 90 degree turn. Pulled up at a gas station and he made a mention while he was asking what the car was cuz it had no badge other then the ST one. Now i notice the rocking feeling every time and its usually my reminder to slow it down a bit. Still on stock suspension and tires of course. Need a brace badly!

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #18
Ha i wish that were true. No id say more like stupid. Its gonna bite me in the ass one day im sure i just cant help it. Its weird cuz u can feel it doing it. I didnt realize i was doing it on the street til a friend of mine was driving behind me and called me to tell me he thought something was wrong with my car due to the back wheels lifting a few times during some very hard cornering.

Then a guy in a Cayman said the same thing after chasing me down a back road by my house which has a tight 2nd gear 90 degree turn. Pulled up at a gas station and he made a mention while he was asking what the car was cuz it had no badge other then the ST one. Now i notice the rocking feeling every time and its usually my reminder to slow it down a bit. Still on stock suspension and tires of course. Need a brace badly!
Sounds like you know how to drive the FiST well [raceflag] I'm going to try to get some more track time in before I push the car. Gotta' know your limits.

After installing TB's rear torsion/front 2-point/trunk brace, the FiST is silly planted. I'll post a review soon on what differences I've noticed since adding the trunk brace, but I will say that not only is the tripod gone, but the front end grip on turn exit is at least 50% improved.

After installing TB's rear torsion/front 2-point/trunk brace, the FiST is silly planted. I'll post a review soon on what differences I've noticed since adding the trunk brace, but I will say that not only is the tripod gone, but the front end grip on turn exit is at least 50% improved.
Are you on stock suspension? Im tempted but i feel like i should upgrade the setup before putting braces on due to the fact that they would have to come off when i put in new dampers and springs. Secondly, id be afraid it would cause even more wear on the stock suspension. GUYS WITH SUSPENSION EXPERIENCE, chime in and correct me if im wrong!