Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #162
I added more content under the FSWERKs intake post on page 4 including installed pics and valve cover breather modification.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #163
How was the temperature compared to your last dyno run? I know the dyno should compensate, but who knows?
It was 8-10 degrees colder today. If anything, the results should be better based on uncorrected numbers (no compensation correction for colder temps). I asked for "uncorrected" graphs of todays runs and "uncorrected" best base line with tune. Uncorrected best baseline run with Cobb AP 93 map = 180 hp & 258 pft. Best exhaust system run today "uncorrected" = 173 hp & 257 pft.

TheStig

Curious, you dont think its a back pressure issue. I know the general consensus is turbo cars run better with little to no restrictions in the exhaust, but i know on Mazdaspeed cars we couldnt usually de-cat the exhaust because it would cause compressor surge. I dont quite remember if it was directly related to the decrease in backpressure or just a byproduct, but there was issues with an extremely high flowing exhaust and a "somewhat" small turbos.

Who knows, ill follow this closely, it has my interest.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Disappointed for you regarding your dyno numbers, hope you get it sorted out cause I would like to fit a 3" exhaust to my ST when I get around to it.
Gave you a rep point for the FSWERKs intake and valve cover breather to cheer you up. LOL.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Curious, you dont think its a back pressure issue. I know the general consensus is turbo cars run better with little to no restrictions in the exhaust, but i know on Mazdaspeed cars we couldnt usually de-cat the exhaust because it would cause compressor surge. I dont quite remember if it was directly related to the decrease in backpressure or just a byproduct, but there was issues with an extremely high flowing exhaust and a "somewhat" small turbos.

The reason people wouldnt decat the speed3/6's was because the stock K04 would overboost. You would go beyond your targeted psi.
I personally ran catless for a good while before going big turbo and never had a problem.

TheStig

The reason people wouldnt decat the speed3/6's was because the stock K04 would overboost. You would go beyond your targeted psi.
I personally ran catless for a good while before going big turbo and never had a problem.
there you go a man with more information. I never got that far into modding, and only ever went on the forum for Mazdaspeed's about twice. They were all pretty much a-holes who dumped all over new people, for being new. So I had a severe distaste for it.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #168
Disappointed for you regarding your dyno numbers, hope you get it sorted out cause I would like to fit a 3" exhaust to my ST when I get around to it.
Gave you a rep point for the FSWERKs intake and valve cover breather to cheer you up. LOL.
Thanks. [mecry] I tested on two dynos and there is a +19 hp difference & -12 pft on a different dyno than Cobbs with the exact same set up.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #169
there you go a man with more information. I never got that far into modding, and only ever went on the forum for Mazdaspeed's about twice. They were all pretty much a-holes who dumped all over new people, for being new. So I had a severe distaste for it.
Agreed. They are a tasteless lot.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #171
Yeah depends on the year of your car. 2010+ 2.3L turbo cars (like my Genpoo) were the ones with the most issues, especially fuel pump and boost creep issues. Strange that Gen 1 cars didn't have the same issues...

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #172

No because there is plenty back pressure with that TINY piping at the end of the stock downpipe, plus I have stock cat too. It's strange that my car is the only car in the world that makes less power with a three inch system. Scorpion, Finsport and others have done extensive testing with 3" systems (including DP) and all made significant and noticeable gains. The only difference here is that their cars are MAF based and ours are speed density.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #175
How about the map sensor?
I don't know. My car gets astounding fuel mileage around town and on the highway. Wouldn't a faulty MAP sensor err on closed loop operation as well? My car does something funny... that it always has since I installed my Cobb AP. When I floor it in any gear it boosts quickly initially, then hesitates and then goes full tilt. This shows up on *some* dyno runs, including the ones done yesterday. You see max torque, then a substantial dip on the curve within 200-300 rpm of max then back up again and then steady decline to red line. That dip is something I FEEL when driving the car. When my vehicle was stock, it did NOT do this (look at my baseline dyno curves). This is an "intermittent" phenomenon. It doesn't always do this but I have a feeling it sets precedence for a WOT run, with less power across the board when this "hiccup" shows up. On the dyno EVERY single pull that has that "dip" or drop in power after hitting max psi results in a lower overall power across the entire curve. This particular issue is not related to the exhaust system because it has done it since my first install of the Cobb AP.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #176
I also find it odd that my car makes peak horsepower @ 5250 rpm (at the same point hp and torque are the same.

I don't know. My car gets astounding fuel mileage around town and on the highway. Wouldn't a faulty MAP sensor err on closed loop operation as well? My car does something funny... that it always has since I installed my Cobb AP. When I floor it in any gear it boosts quickly initially, then hesitates and then goes full tilt. This shows up on *some* dyno runs, including the ones done yesterday. You see max torque, then a substantial dip on the curve within 200-300 rpm of max then back up again and then steady decline to red line. That dip is something I FEEL when driving the car. When my vehicle was stock, it did NOT do this (look at my baseline dyno curves). This is an "intermittent" phenomenon. It doesn't always do this but I have a feeling it sets precedence for a WOT run, with less power across the board when this "hiccup" shows up. On the dyno EVERY single pull that has that "dip" or drop in power after hitting max psi results in a lower overall power across the entire curve. This particular issue is not related to the exhaust system because it has done it since my first install of the Cobb AP.
I was reading somewhere that a map sensor has to be 1 BAR to read boost....this is out of my league but maybe you can digest it

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #178
This is a basic video of how a MAP sensor functions:

[video=youtube;gq4szm5Re0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq4szm5Re0g[/video]

and then Mass air flow sensor:

[video=youtube;Z3QuuEPef4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3QuuEPef4k[/video]

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #179
Personally, as far as adding modifications, I've always preferred MAF over MAP. Some people may disagree but in my experience MAP based vehicles can develop drivability issues especially when doing extensive motor work (like valve train and cam profile changes for instance).

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Nice job on the intake and breather. Can you post some more closeup pictures of the breather?