Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Catch Can Comparo Thread

Which OCC did you install?

• Mishimoto

Votes: 48 30.4%
  • Boomba

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • James Barone Racing

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Damond Motorsports

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • "Custom"

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Just curious.....Do you have an OCC? Have you seen what comes out of the system when its drained? [popcorn]
Amazing......mine catches oil not water and fuel. If you have water and fuel in your PCV lines you have issues somewhere. I have never had a drop of moisture in 3 years nor smelled fuel in the oil I empty from it. Maybe those folks need to get an OCC that works. My Damond has worked wonderfully.

Just curious.....Do you have an OCC? Have you seen what comes out of the system when its drained? [popcorn]
Nope, not really interested in dropping around $200 on a mod that is made useless by a strict short interval oil change program. Sure you’ll spend more on oil etc and that’s a valid counter argument. But any mechanic worth his/her salt is going to know that the name of the game, when it comes to reliability is contamination control.

Regardless of your strategy, you’re going to see carbon buildup on the intake valves, it’s a fact of life on DI and forced induction engines, sooner or later they’re going to need cleaning. I’d rather not introduce another point of contamination to my engine, because I want my motor to last as long as possible, but I’m not telling you what to do, just sharing information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I do UNDER 4K mile OCIs with FULLY synthetic (PAO/POE base stocks) top tier/'boutique' oils, AND also have a Damond OCC plumbed into the system, but then I am maniacally OCD when it comes to car oil/fluid maintenance, much more so than most out there. [wink]

(i.e.; I am on my FOURTH transaxle fluid change in just 17K miles of ownership! LOL [crazyeye] )

PhoenixM3

^^^I do UNDER 4K mile OCIs with FULLY synthetic (PAO/POE base stocks) top tier/'boutique' oils, AND also have a Damond OCC plumbed into the system, but then I am maniacally OCD when it comes to car oil/fluid maintenance, much more so than most out there. [wink]

(i.e.; I am on my FOURTH transaxle fluid change in just 17K miles of ownership! LOL [crazyeye] )
Never go full retard.....

I'm running the radium dual catch can setup and keep getting the P04DB code. Its really annoying I am hoping that the Damond OCC with stop the reoccurring CEL because of its check valve in the hose. Does anyone else get the same CEL with the Damond setup? Or has anyone had the same or different problems with their radium setup?

I'm running the radium dual catch can setup and keep getting the P04DB code. Its really annoying I am hoping that the Damond OCC with stop the reoccurring CEL because of its check valve in the hose. Does anyone else get the same CEL with the Damond setup? Or has anyone had the same or different problems with their radium setup?
I have the Boomba OCC's and I have to say I used to get the same code but then I put an inline check valve on the PCV and CCV lines and haven't had it since.
If anyone reading this is looking at the Boomba set up and you have a 2016 or later the catch cans dont fit in the advised locations all that well without some finageling as they are too big.
Especially the PCV one near the airbox due to the stock dual hosing that attached to the mountune silicone intake hose made it tricky and had to secure to their mount with only the outside mounting bolt location to make it workout.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I noticed that the hoses were collapsing under the vacuum pressure when I first installed my Radium OCC. I notified them and they sent me some Continental-branded hose that resisted the vacuum better. If you haven't checked yet, observe the hoses while the engine is running. I never got a CEL, so it may be un-related, but it's definitely worth checking.

felopr

running Damond OCC with air breather option since 2015 and never gotten a CEL, i had extended the drain oil line to close to the subframe and i just drain it every 5000 miles when i change oil

xxiaze

I ended up using a 5/8” custom setup on an eBay catch can. Was very simple. Installed similar to the mishimoto locations etc. I chose this can because it still has VTA for high boost. It’s baffled. It has a dip stick. I can change the canister without any removal of anything, easy access. Just had to cut the old PCV couplers off old pipes and fit them to the 5/8” hoses. Just whatever you do do not use Heater hose line... I did initially and it collapsed. Use silicone hoses if you can afford it. I just went with some basic 5/8” ID trans line or something I forget. Had to source it from an auto parts store but not big box. Also needed a piece of 1” wide aluminum to make the bracket... which took no bends but just 3 holes.

if anyone wants some more info feel free to contact me. It cost about 50$ total or so.

Attachments

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't run that can, but I've done battle with that code recently. If you are connecting directly from the can to the drain hole on the crankcase, that will be the problem. There is a sensor on the OEM hose. When I looked at the website for a picture of the radium crankcase can, it looks like a smooth silicon hose all the way to the crankcase. Not sure about all model years, but on my 2016 I had to keep the OEM hose with the sensor connected and hack the silicon hose to the end that connected to my new intake. Once I did that, the code disappeared.
Could the diamond catch can cause the P051b code too? I was randomly checking for codes on my accessport and found that code on there

felopr

Could the diamond catch can cause the P051b code too? I was randomly checking for codes on my accessport and found that code on there
Like i posted years earlier in this thread, i have had the diamond catch can with the check-valve breather option since 2015 when the car was brand new, drain it every 5k miles while doing the oil changes and never gotten a code for it
atleast on my 2015, I was looking around on the mechanics manual and it doesnt appear to have a crankcase pressure sensor, also check on tascaparts, doesnt appear one for this motor or atleast i dont see it anywhere
this car doesnt have a sensor like in the other motors where its kinda located inline with 1 of the 2 pcv lines
the oil separator doesnt have a sensor, the 2 pcv lines doesnt have a sensor either
The only thing close it is on the back of the car D2BZ-9B033-F close to the vapor canister but that is for the fuel gas pressure for the emissions system (i think)

I would check both PCV lines and oil separator doesnt have any leaks and are connected secured
also check the catch can doesnt have leaks, its not full and the drain valve its not open

i would also say, if you have a 2016 and up i would check this sensor: C1BZ-6A664-D
my 2015 car doesnt have this sensor in this line so i dont really know what its for but since its 1 of the 2 pcv lines, it probably is a crankcase pressure sensor
1702431776498.png

Since you have a coob, just clear the code and monitor it
if it occurs again and no one has posted anything yet and your car is a 2016 and up car, change that line and if it still ocurrs take it to a mechanic that knows this engines