Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Negative timing correction

So maybe someone else has seen this issue before or can tell me if I'm caring too much about it. I switched up my monitors on the AP3 to include ign corr for cyl1, I've gotten a couple instances of all the way down to -1.7 (cyl1). I've never had it happen at WOT when i datalog and I even logged my whole commute home and it didn't happen once.

So I changed from BP 93 to Exxon 93 and dropped to the 91 stage 3 flash to see if it was maybe some bad gas(OAR is always -1 so far) or a tune issue, still seems to randomly occur. The last datalog i took at night with no traffic doing a few WOT to redline pulls the timing advances steadily to +3 or +4 (all 4 cyl aren't even but they follow the same general pattern) and then goes back to 0 like it should.

What do you think i should do next at this point? I've checked all my clamps, the car doesn't sound or feel like it's running off from before, and I haven't been able to get it reproduced in a datalog which makes it all the more annoying.

Hoping maybe someone can tell me what i'm missing or give me a good next step. Mod list is in sig.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Can't see mods list because tapatalk, but the two things you should do is verify your spark plug gaps and try to isolate exactly what conditions are making it occur. Don't be afraid to take long datalogs of 'normal' driving when trying to troubleshoot or tune.

If it's random, maybe something is physically touching somewhere or loose and causing false-knock (rare, but don't necessarily discount the possibility). Maybe its related to your driving technique or environmental conditions. Maybe tightening up the spark plug gap will eliminate it.

Mine didn't start doing it until this summer when the temps got higher. So I'm guessing it could be from the heat or maybe the summer gas formula. I know it also depends on the gas station I fill up at too.